C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

C6 Corvette Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

My 05 did that a few times.I'd get clicks or just no starts.I just kept trying till it started.Once,I parked it while going out to dinner.I got out and noticed I was a little to close to the car in front of me so I got back in and bingo,lights,camera..but no action!!I waited a few seconds and she started right up.Might just be another quirk of the 1st year c6.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM
hebdog7
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's your column lock. Mine does the same thing. It's cause we bought the best year with the absolutely amazing column lock. Good luck it doesn't get any more fun.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever checked for codes? FYI disconnecting the battery after this happens will clear them.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Thrill6
Have you ever checked for codes? FYI disconnecting the battery after this happens will clear them.
I haven't checked the codes, but that's a good idea. I may have to buy a code reader because when I'm stuck somewhere I just disconnect and reconnect the battery.

I'm starting to see a trend that people with 05's are saying it's a steering column problem. I didn't have this problem before I brought my vette in for the recall on the wiring harness in the steering column. It started soon after the recall was completed. I'm wondering if the mechanic did something when he took the steering column apart to look for the rubbing wires as the recall calls for. I'm going to bring my car back to the same dealership to try and fix it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

I've been driving the car for the past 5 days with no problems. It sat in my garage without a battery charger for 3 weeks and started right up. I've turned it on and off at least 20 times in 5 days without a problem. I don't think it's fixed, but I don't want to take it to the dealer and have them charge me $100 to say they can't find anything wrong. I'm going to have to drive around with my 10 mm socket so I can disconnect and reconnect the battery when it happens again. I guess the C4 people are use to carrying around a wrench for the targa top so I'll get use to carrying one around too. I'll post again if it goes bad again. Thanks for all of your help. This forum has been great!
Old 02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

This happens once in a while on my 08. Push the clutch in hit the start button and nothing, very unsettling. Will start on the second try. I may have the dealer check this out at next oil change if it becomes more frequent.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Rich Farr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Twelve Month Old Battery Not Done

I have a 2005 and got 5 years out of the original battery. I only put it on charger a few times when in winter storage. After hearing about all the problems, I planned on replacing the battery in the spring (four years old) and did not use a charger in the winter. After sitting 3 months, on a warm winter day, I decided to get something out of glove box. I wondered if the door would open. It did. I tried starting the car and there was just enough juice to start it. I kept the battery for another year.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Coltsfan1
Intermediate

My 05 has a stock battery too..... Ive never heard of a quality battery lasting 12 months. Saying that I fell Ive got my use out of it an she will be changed this year......

What is the deal with the windows when you change the battery?
Someone earlier mentioned something about that...Im confused.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Coltsfan1
My 05 has a stock battery too..... Ive never heard of a quality battery lasting 12 months. Saying that I fell Ive got my use out of it an she will be changed this year......

What is the deal with the windows when you change the battery?
Someone earlier mentioned something about that...Im confused.
After the battery has been disconnected, the windows will go down slightly when you open the door like normal, but they will not go back up when you close the door. You will have to reindex the windows which is easy to do. Window reindexing is not in your 05 manual, but it was added to later year models. I think GM dealers got tired of the phone calls. I just google searched it and found multiple post on how to do it. It goes something like this:
1.With the door closed, put the window all of the way down.
2. Raise the window with the window switch on the door all of the way up and hold up until you hear a click, then let go of the window switch. (Apprx 3 seconds)
3. Put the window switch to up again until you hear another click. (Approx 3 seconds)
4. Your windows are reindexed.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

It's happening again. Thanks to a few post, I checked to see if my steering wheel was locked when it didn't start and it was not locked. When I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the steering wheel locked and the car started. It looks like I have a steering column lock problem. I'm dropping it off at the dealer on Thursday to have it fixed. I'll post one last time after the dealer fixes it.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by gunther2000
It's happening again. Thanks to a few post, I checked to see if my steering wheel was locked when it didn't start and it was not locked. When I disconnect and reconnect the battery, the steering wheel locked and the car started. It looks like I have a steering column lock problem. I'm dropping it off at the dealer on Thursday to have it fixed. I'll post one last time after the dealer fixes it.
Your problem is most certainly the steering column lock issue. My '05 does it sometimes, most often when it's been terribly cold outside. You can hear the locking mechanism retract before a successful start. If you get in and press the button and only see the guages light up and swing, but don't hear the column lock retracting ... then its not going to start. Disconnecting the battery resets the thing. Now when you press the button, guages come alive, column lock retracts, ... car starts! My dealer quoted me an off the cuff price to have it replaced. Would like to hear what you are quoted for this job in comparison.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I will be sending you a private message shortly.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Stew24
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 102 Posts

My car did it to me today! Hadn't happened since all the winter weather a month ago, then turns around and bites me today ... 71 degrees
Old 03-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have a similar problem and does not occur as frequently, have had the problem since the car was new and it is not the battery, probably a software glitch. There is no fix for this.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 AM
hymnatr
Instructor

I'm having the same problem and the dealership has no idea what the issue is. They've had it for a week now. Has anyone fixed it?
Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hymnatr
I'm having the same problem and the dealership has no idea what the issue is. They've had it for a week now. Has anyone fixed it?
The dealer had the car and could not figure out what was wrong either. The car started evey time for them even though it’s left me looking foolish in many parking lots disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. The mechanic looked for service tech bulletins (I think that’s what they’re called) and found one put out in September that describes the exact symptoms we’re all experiencing. The fix is to replace the steering column motor at the cost of $1000! The dealer had to order one and it hopefully will be in today. I may not get the car back until Monday. I love Corvettes, but I wish they didn’t break as often as they do. It would be nice if GM did a recall on this. It would make me feel more comfortable buying the first year of the C7. The first year of the C6 seems to have a problem.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
gunther2000
Heel & Toe

The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is #PIC5367. The dealer I brougt my car to is Jack Schmitt Chevy in O'Fallon, IL. They were able to find the TSB and fix it. I had them do an oil change while it was there and the total bill including tax was $1128.62. There goes the new exhaust system I was looking at adding this summer. Jack Schmitt's people were friendly and knowledgeable. I don't blame them for the cost, but GM should look at doing something. Maybe not a recall, but should pay for at least the part when it goes bad. The lock cost $520.36 and the labor cost was $498.47.

Keep posting if this problem has happend to you. Maybe it will happen to a lawyer out there who will start a class action lawsuit.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette Won't Start

Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM
king off the hill
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2005

The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) is #PIC5367. The dealer I brougt my car to is Jack Schmitt Chevy in O'Fallon, IL. They were able to find the TSB and fix it. I had them do an oil change while it was there and the total bill including tax was $1128.62. There goes the new exhaust system I was looking at adding this summer. Jack Schmitt's people were friendly and knowledgeable. I don't blame them for the cost, but GM should look at doing something. Maybe not a recall, but should pay for at least the part when it goes bad. The lock cost $520.36 and the labor cost was $498.47.

Keep posting if this problem has happend to you. Maybe it will happen to a lawyer out there who will start a class action lawsuit.
please are we talking about 2005 aut or standard telescopic wheel.thanks guys
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Thrill6
I don't think that's right. They're stored in non-volatile memory I believe.

As such they have to be explicitly cleared
Old 03-05-2011, 01:32 AM
hymnatr
Instructor

How did this work out for you? I told the dealership about this bulletin and they said they checked it out and everything was fine. Service guy said he never saw this problem with a manual just the automatics...which one do you have?

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette Won't Start