C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Corvette C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by rossi6998
Would not surprise me if they do eliminate either the base model or GS model. These two models are basically the same (IMHO). GM has to be smart with their production, especially if we want their pricing to remain reasonable considering the amount of car we are getting for the price.
Corvette production for 2010 is 12,194 units, lowest since 1961 producing 10,939 units. In 2010, 83% of the corvettes sold combined were the G.S. (49.6%) and the Base (33.3%). I don't think GM is going to drop either one of them. If they do, I predict a further decrease in corvette sales. BTW: For 2010, the Z06 sold were 4.3% and the ZR1 12.9%.

GM should do the opposite, make the Base and G.S. more attractive, i.e. keep the car affordable by bringing back the Z51 for the Base and improve the interior seats for all corvettes. The G.S. hurt the Z06 sales. But if GM did not introduce the G.S., overall sales probably would of decreased even further. That's my point, make the Base and G.S. more attractive to buyers, not take away what is selling.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 01-30-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
Spoken like a true lib. I don't wish anything bad upon you. I just don't want you and your ilk telling me what to do. Take your CAFE standards and regulations and stick them where the sun don't shine.

As for the Accord, the vette is the only American made car I've bought in the last 20 years and I've bought a lot of cars.
No...you'd rather tell everyone else what to do.

Yeah, I'm just a mean liberal because I like my family's drug safety put in the hands of my elected officials vs some corporate exec who could care less. I just wish upon you the results of your wishes.

BTW, pharma standards have been around for many decades so you can find another reason for drugs suddenly going up!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

This is good stuff guys. Keep it up. We need this kind of dialog if we are to avoid the pitfalls of the past and move into the future which is what both vettedoogie and goatts are saying. In the past we had to put up with the monolithic Mr CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and PBS. While some don't like Mr. FOX at least we get to hear the other side on such issues as CAFE. Maybe the C7 will somehow blunder into its destiny?
Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sdurg24
This is good stuff guys. Keep it up. We need this kind of dialog if we are to avoid the pitfalls of the past and move into the future which is what both vettedoogie and goatts are saying. In the past we had to put up with the monolithic Mr CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and PBS. While some don't like Mr. FOX at least we get to hear the other side on such issues as CAFE. Maybe the C7 will somehow blunder into its destiny?
So how about this instead...from none of them...or won't you believe it because it isn't Fox?
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ndards-feature

BTW, I've never heard a thing about CAFE from anyone of the alphabet soup you mentioned.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 01-30-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Nothing wrong with CAFE standards in my book, this will help push what sport cars were based on. (Power to weight ratio) A little less displacement, maybe some direct injection and variable valve timing, and a lighter car. That wouldn't sound bad to me. Just have to go with the times.

DJ
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 PM
c6coop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, that didn't quite come out as I intended, but I'll shut up and sit down while I'm behind. I need to proof read my diatribe!
coop
Old 01-30-2011, 09:13 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c6coop
Sorry, that didn't quite come out as I intended, but I'll shut up and sit down while I'm behind. I need to proof read my diatribe!
coop
I knew what you meant...lots of folks didn't like the C6 when it first came out either. It is tough to recreate a legend like the Vette every generation.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:17 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I knew what you meant...lots of folks didn't like the C6 when it first came out either. It is tough to recreate a legend like the Vette every generation.
+1
Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Corvette production for 2010 is 12,194 units, lowest since 1961 producing 10,939 units. In 2010, 83% of the corvettes sold combined were the G.S. (49.6%) and the Base (33.3%). I don't think GM is going to drop either one of them. If they do, I predict a further decrease in corvette sales. BTW: For 2010, the Z06 sold were 4.3% and the ZR1 12.9%.

GM should do the opposite, make the Base and G.S. more attractive, i.e. keep the car affordable by bringing back the Z51 for the Base and improve the interior seats for all corvettes. The G.S. hurt the Z06 sales. But if GM did not introduce the G.S., overall sales probably would of decreased even further. That's my point, make the Base and G.S. more attractive to buyers, not take away what is selling.

How about they make more significant changes to this car during it's life cycle instead of things like new wheels and some electronic doo dads. Yeah I know, we got the LS3 4 years ago, and the no extra power GS 2 years ago.

I love the Corvette, I will buy nothing else but damn, it is disheartening when you see everyone else upping the power and other things. And we get the parts bin add ons.

Look at the 2012 GTR. Man that thing is going to run circles around the ZR-1. Hell the Mustang has almost caught up the the base Vette in a straight line.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:28 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JLinNY
How about they make more significant changes to this car during it's life cycle instead of things like new wheels and some electronic doo dads. Yeah I know, we got the LS3 4 years ago, and the no extra power GS 2 years ago.

I love the Corvette, I will buy nothing else but damn, it is disheartening when you see everyone else upping the power and other things. And we get the parts bin add ons.

Look at the 2012 GTR. Man that thing is going to run circles around the ZR-1. Hell the Mustang has almost caught up the the base Vette in a straight line.
The C7 better be great. The whole line.

That said, I thought this was a great quote by one of Nissan's head honchos about the GTR that I think certainly should apply to the Corvette...
"We are developing the GT-R for owners and not for race drivers, and therefore the standard model will be what we continue to do," the Godzilla Godfather said."The customer should be communicated what is the performance capability of the popular, standard model, not in a special edition. There is no meaning in communicating the special-edition speed."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz1CZn7nx00

Last edited by vettedoogie; 01-30-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The C7 better be great. The whole line.
I don't want to come off as knocking on my beloved Vette, I just think GM has to get with the program.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Default 5 0f 5?

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Just wanted to pass this along, March's Car and Driver magazine, pg.18.

2013 Corvette C7

"The Corvette continues as front-engine, V-8 powered, but GM is reportedly working to reduce mass (or at least hold the line) to maintain C6 performance. Slightly longer than before, the C7 will have styling allegedly inspired by the split-widow '63 Sting Ray. Interior quality, not a Corvette strength, is now a high priority, and GM has set Audi as the benchmark for materials and fits. Three versions will be offered: base, Z06 and ZR1 (base versions may be called Grand Sport).
At launch, the V-8 portfolio will mirror today's, ranging from 430 to 638 horsepower. Later, all three engines will undergo displacement reductions to improve fuel economy."

I am wondering if the base version will be dropped and replaced with the G.S.?

THAT WOULD BE COOL. I see a new one in the very near future.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes mr liberal I want them to butt out. You apparently can't think for yourself since you need a bureaurocrat to dictate every little detail of your life and wipe your little butt. You need someone to tell you what mpg your car gets??? You too dumb to figure that out for yourself. You want someone to tell you what to eat and when you're going to die? Pharmaceutical standards are the reason for the skyrocketing cost of drugs. Steven Chu is going to make you paint your roof white (or have you already done yours?). Since you love suckling at the teats of nanny gubment, why don't you move to Cuba. You're probably already planning on it.
This is why I no longer call myself a Republican. The party has turned to a batch of hate infused name callers that can't stand anyone that has a different opinion.
As for me, I like newer and better thinking. Being able to drive a car that will blow the doors off "Muscle cars" from the past and still get 30 MPG when I want to cruise.
If they can improve the breed even more, I say Go for it!
Signed: Mr. Independant, with no hate in my heart!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sillyme
This is why I no longer call myself a Republican. The party has turned to a batch of hate infused name callers that can't stand anyone that has a different opinion.
As for me, I like newer and better thinking. Being able to drive a car that will blow the doors off "Muscle cars" from the past and still get 30 MPG when I want to cruise.
Well said.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,099 Likes on 852 Posts

Default C6 discussion sucks

Why do you grouchy old farts perpetuate the O/T discussion?
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No...you'd rather tell everyone else what to do.

Yeah, I'm just a mean liberal because I like my family's drug safety put in the hands of my elected officials vs some corporate exec who could care less. I just wish upon you the results of your wishes.

BTW, pharma standards have been around for many decades so you can find another reason for drugs suddenly going up!
Evil corporate execs? Safely in the hands of elected officials? Great stuff man!!!

Which public official? How about Maxine Waters who thinks we planted a flag on Mars. Or maybe Charlie Rangel, you'd trust him with your families drugs (probably lithium for you), wouldn't ya?

You're a hoot! Hey, maybe Obama will make you a Czar. The czar in charge of Mars flags.

Last edited by goatts; 01-30-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:04 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sillyme
Oh my, a precious independent. And with no sense of humor. "Newer and better thinking", is that anything like "change".

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Corvette C7

Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Evil corporate execs? Safely in the hands of elected officials? Great stuff man!!!

Which public official? How about Maxine Waters who thinks we planted a flag on Mars. Or maybe Charlie Rangel, you'd trust him with your families drugs (probably lithium for you), wouldn't ya?

You're a hoot! Hey, maybe Obama will make you a Czar. The czar in charge of Mars flags.
Go take your blood pressure meds.
Better yet, go back to PR&C and have them feed you some better lines. I mean, come on, you didn't even mention Pelosi or Reid!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by djbrun
Nothing wrong with CAFE standards in my book, this will help push what sport cars were based on. (Power to weight ratio) A little less displacement, maybe some direct injection and variable valve timing, and a lighter car. That wouldn't sound bad to me. Just have to go with the times.

DJ
They do only one thing. They make your car more expensive.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:14 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Go take your blood pressure meds.
Better yet, go back to PR&C and have them feed you some better lines. I mean, come on, you didn't even mention Pelosi or Reid!
Do you even have a vette? Nothing in your profile.

Quick Reply: 2013 Corvette C7