C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Ramps for oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 AM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
The first time I used my Race Ramps to change the oil, after it had stopped draining, I jacked up the rear to level the Vette to see if it was completely drained. Nothing else came out so now I'm comfortable with just driving up on the ramps when I do an oil/filter change.
Did the same. Works great. Light weight, easy to store, easy to drive up on.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Bandit 2010
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
Well, lets carry the logic one step forward, and ask why spend that amount of money on Race Ramps when you could have a Max Jax for not that much more? If money is no object, then why not get the best?

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

And I bet there are plenty more expensive options out there. I guess the real question becomes, How much money are you willing to spend to change your oil in your car?

Now if you want to truly wrench on you car and be able to drop the transmission and do serious work, then the Max Jax would be the way I'd want to go. But if all you want to do is change the oil, that can be done by driving the left front tire onto a 2x4 to give you the clearance you need to get a drain pan under it.

Hmm - exactly
Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Bandit 2010
Racer

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Geez, I have changed my oil in all my cars my whole life...paying 300+ to 400 + dollars for ramps?? ...now I know why people in this country are in debt...LOL..

Me I do the same as this ^^^ works like a charm.
Are they light weight like RR's ? And the cost ?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
Well, lets carry the logic one step forward, and ask why spend that amount of money on Race Ramps when you could have a Max Jax for not that much more? If money is no object, then why not get the best?

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

And I bet there are plenty more expensive options out there. I guess the real question becomes, How much money are you willing to spend to change your oil in your car?

Now if you want to truly wrench on you car and be able to drop the transmission and do serious work, then the Max Jax would be the way I'd want to go. But if all you want to do is change the oil, that can be done by driving the left front tire onto a 2x4 to give you the clearance you need to get a drain pan under it.
Thanks for proving my point. Your reading comprehension skills have obviously failed you, again. Perhaps in your excitement to declare you have the best option , and post such an unrelated thread, you missed the key points in my post (not to mention the title of the thread or the content of the post#1). I won't muck up this thread anymore by asking for your dissertation on why your Max Jax option is superior to all others, but perhaps you can publish a white paper on it.

I guess in your fury to post you missed the part of my post about a lift not being an option for me. That's great that it works for you Do you want a cookie for buying a Max Jax? Do you need someone to pat you on the head and say your the coolest man alive for buying it? What is your deal?

Just like I respect your decision for buying a Max Jax and have no need to debate you on your decision, why not show the same respect to others?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit 2010
Hmm - exactly
You know you don't have to click on a thread with Race Ramps in the title, right?
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Bandit 2010
Racer

Originally Posted by AGFNTB
Thanks for proving my point. Your reading comprehension skills have obviously failed you, again. Perhaps in your excitement to declare you have the best option , and post such an unrelated thread, you missed the key points in my post (not to mention the title of the thread or the content of the post#1). I won't muck up this thread anymore by asking for your dissertation on why your Max Jax option is superior to all others, but perhaps you can publish a white paper on it.

I guess in your fury to post you missed the part of my post about a lift not being an option for me. That's great that it works for you Do you want a cookie for buying a Max Jax? Do you need someone to pat you on the head and say your the coolest man alive for buying it? What is your deal?

Just like I respect your decision for buying a Max Jax and have no need to debate you on your decision, why not show the same respect to others?

I thought Fred did a great job explaining the reason/differences in buying/owning a set ramps compared to buying/owning a lift. Thanks Fred for your comments/post.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reverse Logic Limited has the race ramps RR-XT-2 on sale for $308 with free shipping. I ordered mine today.
Capt Bob
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
v8capt
Racer

Grand Sport owners. The race ramps RR-XT-2 will scrape the spoiler. you need to add the extenders RR-EX-14. They are also on sale at Reverse Logis Limited for $107 delivered. WoW! the high price of changing oil. It's still better than having some Jerk screw up your nice ride.
Capt Bob
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Cor430vette
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

Just had a buddhist moment....Do we all identify and need to defend the way "we" lift our cars soooo much ...that we have to bicker like little girls?

Get it up, who cares how, and work on your vette and have fun....geez
Old 01-24-2011, 02:40 PM
turbod
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cor430vette
Just had a buddhist moment....Do we all identify and need to defend the way "we" lift our cars soooo much ...that we have to bicker like little girls?

Get it up, who cares how, and work on your vette and have fun....geez
Exactly
Old 01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Thudux
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
I have used the $49.00 plastic ramps from Discount Auto Parts for my oil changes on my C5 and C6, works just fine, I jack up the rear to level the car, with a couple of jack stands for safety.
Just got those today.....no problems scraping or driving up on them?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:16 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by turbod
Did the same. Works great. Light weight, easy to store, easy to drive up on.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by g-townmach
Thanks for the responses. Like said, I don't trust anyone to change my oil so I have never paid for a change. The $$ spent on the race ramps is not a concern.

GotVette, is there enough room to do an oil change without jacking up the rear?? I just want to be able to drive up the ramps, change it, and drive off.
Unfortunately, the drain plug on the C6 is on the side of the pan, not the rear. So you need to jack the rear to get it level so that all the oil drains out. Also, I've found that even with the front up on ramps, I still need to jack the rear to get enough clearance to get to the drain plug & filter.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

For those of you who just raise up the front of your car to change oil take a look at these pictures of the LS engine oil pan then decide if you may want to re-think your procedure.

If you have a dry sump your ok. But if that GS is an automatic or convertible, (like mine,) then level her out.

I jack on the drivers side behind the front wheel. Remove the drain plug then lower the car over a low profile drain pan. When it's done draining I raise the car at the same point, replace the filter with a pre filled new one. Lower the car, and fill with oil.

Ed

Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default 56" Race Ramps

I received a set of RCR-RR-56-2 RaceRamps today and they work fine with no scraping on a stock 2008 F55 Coupe.

I measure 7 3/4" with the yardstick test so the airdam is close when first rolling on (>1/4" clearance with my height, wheels, tires). Once on there's roughly 2" clearance between the airdam and the ramps rolling up and plenty of clearance over the forward chock.

The ramp is a comfortable angle for driving up with no sliding on smooth concrete.

Nice product, the material reminds me of the very high density foam used behind bumpers for impact absorption, tough stuff.

Airdam clearance

Ramp clearance

It also appeared to me the corner of the airdam are easily removed (one screw?) which could be useful if so for lowered C6's.

Last edited by StKnoWhere; 01-25-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:25 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
For those of you who just raise up the front of your car to change oil take a look at these pictures of the LS engine oil pan then decide if you may want to re-think your procedure.

If you have a dry sump your ok. But if that GS is an automatic or convertible, (like mine,) then level her out.

I jack on the drivers side behind the front wheel. Remove the drain plug then lower the car over a low profile drain pan. When it's done draining I raise the car at the same point, replace the filter with a pre filled new one. Lower the car, and fill with oil.

Ed

Interesting info/photo's -- thanks -- looks like a cup or two of oil will be left behind no matter what you do?
Old 01-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes, there are slits in the walls down at the floor. If the bottom of the pan is level all but a light film will drain, but you can see the enclosed area at the rear of the pan only has an opening at its forward edge. So if the pan is tilted down in the rear there will be quite a bit of oil left behind.

In the overall scheme of things it probably wont hurt anything, but to me its like peeing in the shower after you turn off the water.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Race Ramps for oil changes

Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 AM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Yes, there are slits in the walls down at the floor. If the bottom of the pan is level all but a light film will drain, but you can see the enclosed area at the rear of the pan only has an opening at its forward edge. So if the pan is tilted down in the rear there will be quite a bit of oil left behind.
Thanks

In the overall scheme of things it probably wont hurt anything, but to me its like peeing in the shower after you turn off the water.Ed
I have the same disease
Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM
v8capt
Racer

Hey, Got Vet, Do you have pictures where to jack up rear end on auto trans? Thanks Capt Bob
Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM
v8capt
Racer

Still waiting for someone to post how to jack up rear end on 2011 GS. I called the Museum and was told the car should be level when changing oil. That means the rear has to be jacked up when on ramps.
Capt Bob

Quick Reply: Race Ramps for oil changes