C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bartec Trackside

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM
NTRBL33
Le Mans Master

Location: The United States of TEXAS www.corvettemotorsportsinc.com
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Bartec Trackside

I need a TPS programmer. Where do I buy one?
thanx
dlj
Old 01-02-2011, 10:16 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I got this one, works great, $109
http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-tpms-tool.html

David
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
NTRBL33
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I got this one, works great, $109
http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-tpms-tool.html

David
shows discontinued
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hi dlj

I got your PM, but let me just answer here so anybody else wondering can get the same info.

mcandrew67 has a link above for an ATEQ VT10, but I think both it and the Bartec Trackside have been discontinued and aren't available any more.

First of all - the VERY early 2005 model year C6 (built in about Sept '04 or before) have a sensor that is triggered with a magnet, like the C5 sensors. You can't get those sensors any more - they have been superceded by the current 2005-2009 sensor, which works in the early 2005 C6 as well.

Second of all - the 2005-2009 uses a gray peanut shaped sensor, GM part# 25758220, and it REQUIRES the use of a tool that transmits a 125KHz frequency to trigger it to get it to send its ID# to the TPMS computer in the car during the relearn procedure.

Third of all - the 2010 and newer C6 got a different TPMS computer in the car that uses a different sensor, which is a green peanut shaped sensor with GM part# 15268606. This sensor can be triggered by a tool, or it can also be triggered by changing air pressure in the tire during a relearn procedure - so a tool is not required to program the sensors into the TPMS computer memory in a 2010+ C6. This sensor has been used in a number of other GM vehicles for several years.

The 2005-2009 sensor won't work with a 2010+ C6, and the 2010+ sensors won't work with the TPMS in a 2005-2009 C6. For instance, if you have a 2008 C6 and buy a set of wheels/tires/sensors from somebody with a 2010 C6, you won't be able to program those sensors into your TPMS - you'll have to get a set of 2005-2009 sensors and have them installed in the wheels.

So....what kind of tool do you need to trigger 2005-2009 sensors???

Our sensors are made by Schrader, and they make a number of different tools - from those for several hundred $$$ for a vehicle owner up to ones that cost many thousands of $$$ and are used on a vehicle assembly line.

Bartec sells the same tools that Schrader sells. The Bartec Trackside used to be sold by a couple forum vendors and Tire Rack used to carry that ATEQ VT10 for around $100, but I think both those tools have been discontinued.

There are a number of other manufacturers of TPMS tools - OTC, KTi, ATEQ, Kent-Moore, etc.

The official GM tool is the Kent-Moore J-46079. If you search on eBay for "J-46079" you'll occasionally see one for sale (there's one on there right now that ends in about 5 hours). They usually sell for several hundred bucks.

Another high-end tool that you can get from tool distributors or find on eBay for several hundred dollars and up is the OTC-3833. I consider it the best tool out there. It looks exactly like the J-46079, but the software in it will allow it to work with virtually all vehicles that need such a tool, whereas the J-46079 is programmed with only GM vehicles.

However, here's my recommendation for the cheapest tool out there that will do a great job for you

The link below is for a TIPS Tool that will work with all GM vehicles, and most all others with sensors as well - however, some Nissan, Toyota, and other asian vehicle sensors require a tool that is their version of a Tech 2. The TIPS Tool below is the cheapest tool that I know of. I think there are several tool sales companies that have a similar deal on the TIPS Tool, but this is just one I found with a quick internet search:

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...03A-p-224.html

I'm not affiliated with any tool companies, I only put up info about the various tools, eBay, and the link above to help C6 owners find a TPMS tool for their needs, but I think that TIPS Tool above is the cheapest tool available that will do a great job for you. I made the video below using a TIPS Tool on my C6 more than 4 years ago. I think I paid something like $225 for that TIPS Tool at the time so I could reprogram sensors when I swapped to track wheels and then back to my street wheels. So, I consider getting one for $72 is a bargain!!!

Apparently the cheap ATEQ and Bartec tools have been discontinued, and possibly the TIPS Tool is on its way out too, in which case the tool houses are selling them cheap to clear out the last of their inventory. I don't know what a C6 owner will do when these lower end tools are all gone and the only ones left are the $500 and up tools. But, for now you can still get a good tool for a cheap price!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 01-02-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Go with whatever Bob reccomends, he is the forum TPMS Guru....
Old 01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't think Bartec make's the Trackside anymore, but have the model 300 myself which is a bit pricey. Think the unit to get now is the OTC Tips 003a, that can be had for less than $100 buck's from on line tool store's. Believe this tool, like the Bartec actually comunicate's, so can tell a bad sensor, when it's nowhere near the car. Check with forum member BEZO6(Bob), as he's the tpms guy here and helped me out.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Don't think Bartec make's the Trackside anymore, but have the model 300 myself which is a bit pricey. Think the unit to get now is the OTC Tips 003a, that can be had for less than $100 buck's from on line tool store's. Believe this tool, like the Bartec actually comunicate's, so can tell a bad sensor, when it's nowhere near the car. Check with forum member BEZO6(Bob), as he's the tpms guy here and helped me out.
there was only 4 posts to read before yours....
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
cleif2000
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Hi dlj

I got your PM, but let me just answer here so anybody else wondering can get the same info.

mcandrew67 has a link above for an ATEQ VT10, but I think both it and the Bartec Trackside have been discontinued and aren't available any more.

First of all - the VERY early 2005 model year C6 (built in about Sept '04 or before) have a sensor that is triggered with a magnet, like the C5 sensors. You can't get those sensors any more - they have been superceded by the current 2005-2009 sensor, which works in the early 2005 C6 as well.

Second of all - the 2005-2009 uses a gray peanut shaped sensor, GM part# 25758220, and it REQUIRES the use of a tool that transmits a 125KHz frequency to trigger it to get it to send its ID# to the TPMS computer in the car during the relearn procedure.

Third of all - the 2010 and newer C6 got a different TPMS computer in the car that uses a different sensor, which is a green peanut shaped sensor with GM part# 15268606. This sensor can be triggered by a tool, or it can also be triggered by changing air pressure in the tire during a relearn procedure - so a tool is not required to program the sensors into the TPMS computer memory in a 2010+ C6. This sensor has been used in a number of other GM vehicles for several years.

The 2005-2009 sensor won't work with a 2010+ C6, and the 2010+ sensors won't work with the TPMS in a 2005-2009 C6. For instance, if you have a 2008 C6 and buy a set of wheels/tires/sensors from somebody with a 2010 C6, you won't be able to program those sensors into your TPMS - you'll have to get a set of 2005-2009 sensors and have them installed in the wheels.

So....what kind of tool do you need to trigger 2005-2009 sensors???

Our sensors are made by Schrader, and they make a number of different tools - from those for several hundred $$$ for a vehicle owner up to ones that cost many thousands of $$$ and are used on a vehicle assembly line.

Bartec sells the same tools that Schrader sells. The Bartec Trackside used to be sold by a couple forum vendors and Tire Rack used to carry that ATEQ VT10 for around $100, but I think both those tools have been discontinued.

There are a number of other manufacturers of TPMS tools - OTC, KTi, ATEQ, Kent-Moore, etc.

The official GM tool is the Kent-Moore J-46079. If you search on eBay for "J-46079" you'll occasionally see one for sale (there's one on there right now that ends in about 5 hours). They usually sell for several hundred bucks.

Another high-end tool that you can get from tool distributors or find on eBay for several hundred dollars and up is the OTC-3833. I consider it the best tool out there. It looks exactly like the J-46079, but the software in it will allow it to work with virtually all vehicles that need such a tool, whereas the J-46079 is programmed with only GM vehicles.

However, here's my recommendation for the cheapest tool out there that will do a great job for you

The link below is for a TIPS Tool that will work with all GM vehicles, and most all others with sensors as well - however, some Nissan, Toyota, and other asian vehicle sensors require a tool that is their version of a Tech 2. The TIPS Tool below is the cheapest tool that I know of. I think there are several tool sales companies that have a similar deal on the TIPS Tool, but this is just one I found with a quick internet search:

I'm not affiliated with any tool companies, I only put up info about the various tools, eBay, and the link above to help C6 owners find a TPMS tool for their needs, but I think that TIPS Tool above is the cheapest tool available that will do a great job for you. I made the video below using a TIPS Tool on my C6 more than 4 years ago. I think I paid something like $225 for that TIPS Tool at the time so I could reprogram sensors when I swapped to track wheels and then back to my street wheels. So, I consider getting one for $72 is a bargain!!!

Apparently the cheap ATEQ and Bartec tools have been discontinued, and possibly the TIPS Tool is on its way out too, in which case the tool houses are selling them cheap to clear out the last of their inventory. I don't know what a C6 owner will do when these lower end tools are all gone and the only ones left are the $500 and up tools. But, for now you can still get a good tool for a cheap price!!

Bob

This is the tool that I purchased after talking with Bob. This tool works great and is affordable.
Leif

Last edited by cleif2000; 01-02-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: wrong placement of I agree.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
NTRBL33
Le Mans Master

wow
Thanx Bob. I ordered it.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
0CorvetteGuysGal
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, we will be getting the next generation of tool offered by the brand we carry soon. They're actually here, just not up on the site yet.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

There isn't a TPMS thread on the forum that Bob isn't in.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Get notified of new replies

To Bartec Trackside

Quick Reply: Bartec Trackside