C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paddle Shift Slack

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Edhar
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paddle Shift Slack

I have a 2006 Convertible with 6 speed paddle shift. When driving 10 to 15 mph and letting up on the gas for a second and then slighlty hitting the gas again it seems to take a second to catch as if there is slack in the transmission or differential. I took it to a dealer and the technician said that was normal for a 6 speed paddle shift transmission. Anybody ever hear of that?
Thanks..
Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Normal, get a tune...
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that so I avoid the situation. Was told a performance tune by someone loke Cow who knows what they are doing would solve the problem.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Edhar
Heel & Toe

Hey thanks! Did they say it would damage it in any way?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one downside to driving an automatic transmission; it has a mind of it's own. Of course their is a reason GM programed it this way, but any tuner knows more than those degreed and experienced GM engineers that conduct tens of thousand of hours of testing and analysis; just ask any shade-tree mechanic on this Forum.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Edhar
Hey thanks! Did they say it would damage it in any way?
An A6 tune by Chuck Mosello of Corvettes of Westchester (Chuck/CoW) absolutely will not damage your transmission in any way. Chuck will remove the most objectionable elements of "torque management" that hobbles an A6, including retarding ignition timing to zero degrees one tenth of a second before, during, and for a tenth of a second after every shift. He also changes an internal default, enabling the transmission to start off in first gear rather than second. He gave my Red (a very early '07) his custom version of the 2008+ A6 software which added speed matching engine revving before downshifts. I'm sure the detailed list of all of his customizations would be as long as my arm. The end result is a total transformation of the stock A6 from a slushbox to a crisp shifting, fun, and emminently driveable transmission. Well worth every dime.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
An A6 tune by Chuck Mosello of Corvettes of Westchester (Chuck/CoW) absolutely will not damage your transmission in any way. Chuck will remove the most objectionable elements of "torque management" that hobbles an A6, including retarding ignition timing to zero degrees one tenth of a second before, during, and for a tenth of a second after every shift. He also changes an internal default, enabling the transmission to start off in first gear rather than second. He gave my Red (a very early '07) his custom version of the 2008+ A6 software which added speed matching engine revving before downshifts. I'm sure the detailed list of all of his customizations would be as long as my arm. The end result is a total transformation of the stock A6 from a slushbox to a crisp shifting, fun, and emminently driveable transmission. Well worth every dime.
Thank you very much! You'll love it and I believe that it makes it stronger....

To date, nobody of THOUSANDS of my A6 tunes has had trans trouble yet....

You're in good hands!

Give me a buzz.
Chuck CoW
Old 01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Just one downside to driving an automatic transmission; it has a mind of it's own. Of course their is a reason GM programed it this way, but any tuner knows more than those degreed and experienced GM engineers that conduct tens of thousand of hours of testing and analysis; just ask any shade-tree mechanic on this Forum.
The OP is talking about a coast down hesitation in a normal street situation. Did you notice the speeds he was talking about? GM programed the protection in to lower warranty claims which I can understand in abuse situations. This programming in low speed coast down situations can get you KILLED.

You are coming up to an intersection where you have a green light. You think it might be ready to turn yellow so you let up on the gas for safety. As you coast thru the intersection you look to your left and see a Mack Truck that is not going to stop. You step on the gas quickly to get out of the way. Unfortunately the transmission is taking it's sweet time deciding which gear it wants to be in resulting in a hesitation before the car moves. BAMM! Your t-boned in the drivers door.
Guess what? You are DEAD, or in so much pain you wish you were. Thanks a lot GM, saved a warranty claim on this car though huh.

This type of programming in a performance car is inexcusable. I would rather sign a warranty waiver on the transmission than drive an A6 operating like that. Shame on you GM.

Last edited by wbear; 01-13-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:42 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Warranty Waiver?!? GOOD IDEA!

Originally Posted by wbear
The OP is talking about a coast down hesitation in a normal street situation. Did you notice the speeds he was talking about? GM programed the protection in to lower warranty claims which I can understand in abuse situations. This programming in low speed coast down situations can get you KILLED.

You are coming up to an intersection where you have a green light. You think it might be ready to turn yellow so you let up on the gas for safety. As you coast thru the intersection you look to your left and see a Mack Truck that is not going to stop. You step on the gas quickly to get out of the way. Unfortunately the transmission is taking it's sweet time deciding which gear it wants to be in resulting in a hesitation before the car moves. BAMM! Your t-boned in the drivers door.
Guess what? You are DEAD, or in so much pain you wish you were. Thanks a lot GM, saved a warranty claim on this car thought huh.

This type of programming in a performance car is inexcusable. I would rather sign a warranty waiver on the transmission than drive an A6 operating like that. Shame on you GM.
Warranty Waiver?!? GOOD IDEA!

Get my tune and I can almost promise you that you'll never get hit by a truck!

Chuck CoW
Old 01-13-2011, 05:52 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Chuck,
Is it possible to do a transmission tune for someone in Seattle? If so, what would it cost?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Edhar
I have a 2006 Convertible with 6 speed paddle shift. When driving 10 to 15 mph and letting up on the gas for a second and then slighlty hitting the gas again it seems to take a second to catch as if there is slack in the transmission or differential. I took it to a dealer and the technician said that was normal for a 6 speed paddle shift transmission. Anybody ever hear of that?
Thanks..
Most cars with an automatic will do that to some extent.
We have a 2005 and 2011 Toyota Camry V6 that are at least as bad in that respect as our 2006 A6 Corvette.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Chuck,
Is it possible to do a transmission tune for someone in Seattle? If so, what would it cost?

Thanks,

Mike
ditto in Sacramento
Old 01-13-2011, 06:30 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can the 06 A6 be tuned for rev matching also? If so does it work with the paddles or just in auto mode.

As soon as my GMPP poops out I will send in my Trans module or if Chuck Cow is in the Bay area of California I will go there.

Last edited by 06 C6 vert; 01-13-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Most cars with an automatic will do that to some extent.
We have a 2005 and 2011 Toyota Camry V6 that are at least as bad in that respect as our 2006 A6 Corvette.
Come on now Toyota's? The brand that won't quit accelerating when you take your foot off the gas and step on the brake. Not a very good choice for comparison. I've had almost 20 GM automatic vehicles over the years and never had one with a transmission related hesitation like this. In a tight spot the stock A6 can literally scare you.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 568 Likes on 345 Posts

Chuck tuned this crap out of my A4 Avey also.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by wbear
Come on now Toyota's? The brand that won't quit accelerating when you take your foot off the gas and step on the brake. Not a very good choice for comparison. I've had almost 20 GM automatic vehicles over the years and never had one with a transmission related hesitation like this. In a tight spot the stock A6 can literally scare you.
I don't see what Toyota's sticking throttle linkage has to do with anyone's transmission lag.

Have you been able to test drive & compare your car with another similar 2007, or a 2008/later with the LS3? Wondering if there is any difference year-to-year, or car-to-car.

We put 44k miles on the 2006, and now 24k miles on the 2009. The lag can be slightly annoying, but it's been there somewhat in every automatic car I've owned. In all those C6 miles I've never experienced anything in the tranny that scared me.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Rednblack
Pro

Get notified of new replies

To Paddle Shift Slack

Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
dpb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
ditto in Sacramento
Ditto anywhere near Casper Wyoming
Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think Chuck should do a nationwide summer Tour like the rock shows.

I'm sure he could coordinate with local tuners/performance shops for a place to park the 'Tour Vehicle/shop-on-wheels'.

Groupies optional.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:36 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't see what Toyota's sticking throttle linkage has to do with anyone's transmission lag.

Have you been able to test drive & compare your car with another similar 2007, or a 2008/later with the LS3? Wondering if there is any difference year-to-year, or car-to-car.

We put 44k miles on the 2006, and now 24k miles on the 2009. The lag can be slightly annoying, but it's been there somewhat in every automatic car I've owned. In all those C6 miles I've never experienced anything in the tranny that scared me.
Toyota has so many engineering problems with their cars I personally wouldn't use them for a fair comparison to anything.

Yes I have driven 7's, 8's and 10's. Good improvement from 7 to 10 on the paddle shift time. Not very much on the coast down hesitation. A tranny tune helps both problems and I feel it is a must.

You won't really know what I mean by scared until you try to goose it to avoid a possible accident then the hesitation seems to last for ever!
It does not do it every time and some are worse that others. If I went out now and tried to demo it I might or might not be able to duplicate it in a short period of time. Obviously several parameters must be met for the lag to occur. The coast down problem has occurred multiple times but once I pulled out to pass at around 50, goosed it as I normally would and nothing happened. I waited and was about to let up when it down shifted to far and if not for traction control might have fish tailed. It literally feels like it doesn't know which gear to pick for a second and then when it does pick its the wrong one!

I'm guessing you have not experienced the lag or hesitation some of us are talking about. Trust me it is not something that you would describe as being common to other auto cars you have owned. If it was you would have given up on autos a long time ago. I actually wish I had a good old turbo 400 in the vette instead of the A6. The only thing I would miss is the overdrive gearing.

Quick Reply: Paddle Shift Slack