C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire shop couldn't get the run flats off the wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Tire shop couldn't get the run flats off the wheels

Just got back from a tire shop near my place. I took them the rear wheels with the Goodyear run flats and the new Ventus tires in the stock size. When I went to pick them up they said they couldn't get the old tires off the wheels. Too stiff and they were afraid to force them any harder for fear of breaking the something. This is the first time I've run into a problem like this. I guess it's down to the dealer or the Goodyear store tomorrow.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Do you have a Discount Tire nearby? They removed and replaced my 2 rear tires in 20 minutes including balance.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Tire Shop has to have special run-flat equipment to install/remove. Some older shops won't do run-flats at all because of this. Check Tire Rack's list of installers and you will find some that won't do run-flats.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Be glad they stopped before they damaged your wheels.

I called a local tire store and asked if they knew how to properly lift a C6 Corvette. The guy asked me if my car was made of fiberglass. I decided to take my business elsewhere.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM
snowman0920
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do 'em all day long. Never had a problem. But, then every car we sell comes with run-flats, so I guess you gotta have the equipment and know what you are doing. Guess they never a BMW in for tires, either.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

The dealer may not even have the proper equipment. The larger tire retailers should have everything needed.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Tire Shop has to have special run-flat equipment to install/remove. Some older shops won't do run-flats at all because of this. Check Tire Rack's list of installers and you will find some that won't do run-flats.
I don't buy that explanation. I've seen may runflats replaced. I think any tire shop that can't deal with them today should not even be in business. Any modern tire changing machine built in the past 20 years can handle them.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

generally speaking, it isn't the sophistication of the equipment, be it tire changing or balancing. it's the operator knowledge and ability.

I just went to probably one of the highest-end shops in my area, ultra clean, well equipped. the guy who tried to get my new-ish Michelin runflat off, almost, almost, (repeated on purpose) damaged the wheel. but I was right on his shoulder telling him to back off, ease the bar back, reverse direction....in other words, a horrible, back-seat, tire changer.

he didn't damage the wheel, but it is obvious that with the best of equipment, and most likely some experience (and he was no "kid") he didn't know how to do the job.

to the OP, I suggest you call and question first before just assuming a dealer or a major chain has the equipment AND KNOWLEDGE. I have seen that older, used up runflats tend to be much less flexible than brand new runflats. that, plus the low profile makes them difficult but not impossible to remove without damaging a wheel. it takes strength, finesse and knowledge/experience.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Dale_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back from the Chevy dealer. They mounted the tires no problem except that they charged me $65 to mount and balance two tires that I had already removed from the car. I'll post one more time with the first driving impressions on the Ventus as soon as it stops raining. I'm hoping the non run flats will ride a little better.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

My mechanic told me they are harder to remove than regular tires but he'll cut them off if you have too. My 2 cents
Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

At least they stopped b 4 they bent the rim !!
Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
mitsu-guy
Advanced

They charge more to install and remove runflats simply because it is more of a pain in the *** and the chance they can scratch the wheel and or pay money out of their pocket to fix it. So usually mom and pap shops that get cars that come in with low pro tires or run flats will usually pass the business to the bigger wheel and tire center instead of trying to remove them and risk damaging the wheel and their reputation.

The last shop that I worked at we used this tire machine to remove low pro's and runflat tires http://www.alltiresupply.com/p-AM26.html

And btw never had a customer stand behind me and instruct me how to do a job that I was trained in, If I did i'd most likely use their help to throw the used tires out back or find the new ones in the warehouse
Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

what can I say? it's indefensible, huh....
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I can tell you this: In my area Tire Rack has 15 recommended installers; 7 of those will not do run flats. Most of the ones that will charge an additional fee per tire.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
Be glad they stopped before they damaged your wheels.

I called a local tire store and asked if they knew how to properly lift a C6 Corvette. The guy asked me if my car was made of fiberglass. I decided to take my business elsewhere.
Actually its not fiberglass any more. Its SMC.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by jschindler
I don't buy that explanation. I've seen may runflats replaced. I think any tire shop that can't deal with them today should not even be in business. Any modern tire changing machine built in the past 20 years can handle them.
You said this in another thread. I am telling first-hand fact that not every tire shop has the equipment (yes, you need special equipment) to deal with run-flats. If you catch a flat in a remote area, you might as well have standard tires because of this because you probably will still need a flatbed.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...at-tires-.html

Run flats: not all they are cracked up to be.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

with Chemdawg...

I had a Tire Store (chain) that could not remove my RFT and actually damaged the tire and had to buy me a new one...told me don't come back And they are a huge chain in Florida ( Tires Plus) their other location had no problems...one place had the equipment one didn't. They actually told me to call around as all of them were not set up to do RFTs

Thankfully I have a tire guy that comes to me now and those days of problems and are over

Get notified of new replies

To Tire shop couldn't get the run flats off the wheels

Old 12-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pewter99
with Chemdawg...

I had a Tire Store (chain) that could not remove my RFT and actually damaged the tire and had to buy me a new one...told me don't come back And they are a huge chain in Florida ( Tires Plus) their other location had no problems...one place had the equipment one didn't. They actually told me to call around as all of them were not set up to do RFTs

Thankfully I have a tire guy that comes to me now and those days of problems and are over
Got the same kind of "runaround" here in Bel Air, MD last year. That's why I now have a quality standard all-season performance tire (Continental Extreme Contact DWS). I feel like I have a new car.

The OEM GY Supercar's were noisy, got hard as Flintstone tires in cold weather, tramlined, bump steered, slipped on semi-wet surfaces, etc. etc.

Goodyear and GM should be brought up on charges for putting this kind of rubber on a Corvette, or any car for that matter. IMHO, they are flat out dangerous in addition to being overpriced.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
You said this in another thread. I am telling first-hand fact that not every tire shop has the equipment (yes, you need special equipment) to deal with run-flats. If you catch a flat in a remote area, you might as well have standard tires because of this because you probably will still need a flatbed.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...at-tires-.html

Run flats: not all they are cracked up to be.
The advantage of having the GY run flats is you don't have to get a tire with a non repairable puncture replaced where you have the flat. You can drive somewhere to get it replaced. That gets you out of the remote area. If you don't have run flats and you get that type of flat in a remote area you most likely will wait a couple of days till the guy who has your car gets a tire to put on it. Even then the shop may not be able to handle the low profile tire and or the wide wheel. In a lot of places if the wheel/tire isn't a high volume type the shops don't purchase equipment or inventory to handle to handle them.

Bill
Old 12-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The advantage of having the GY run flats is you don't have to get a tire with a non repairable puncture replaced where you have the flat. You can drive somewhere to get it replaced. That gets you out of the remote area. If you don't have run flats and you get that type of flat in a remote area you most likely will wait a couple of days till the guy who has your car gets a tire to put on it. Even then the shop may not be able to handle the low profile tire and or the wide wheel. In a lot of places if the wheel/tire isn't a high volume type the shops don't purchase equipment or inventory to handle to handle them.

Bill
You can run into the same problems with certain damages to run flats, so where is the "advantage"?

I plan what long trips I make in my Vette (haven't gone any further than to the NC/VA border in current Vette) just in case. I get coverage from home to Martinsville and USAA has roadside assistance in addition to my taking routes that aren't that remote.

I really don't get the pre-occupation with worrying about flats and being without GMPP coverage on this board. My wife's truck and every car I had prior to my first Vette had standard tires. I had more flats in cars that had run flats (4) than I did in cars that didn't (1 in over 25 years of driving). Go figure

Last edited by Chemdawg99; 12-29-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Tire shop couldn't get the run flats off the wheels