C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To warranty or not to warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by calaher
Bought a GMPP when I purchased a used (1 owner) 06 base 3LT A6 coupe from a dealer a couple of years ago. It had over 30k miles and the warranty was for $2k. Over the approx. 15k miles that I've driven it, I have had problems with the shifter, small coolant leak, and Service Active Handling System light problem. The dealer replaced the shifter cable and some valves that were related to the proper operation of the A6, installed a new water pump and fresh coolant, and replaced some switches for the active handling system. Total cost of the repairs would've been much higher than the two times that I paid the $100 deductible. At this time, I have a very slight oil leak from where I'm not sure about - the oil pan is slightly stained but no level loss detected in between oil changes or seen deposited on the garage floor. Will likely wait before taking to dealer to fix becasue it could be a big deal. But l'm not worried because I still have warranty until Dec 2011. Would I buy GMPP again again? You betcha!
IDK, it sounds like you got took. I don't see $2,200 worth of repairs to your car. I suppose that's probably a good thing, though.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Danko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you betcha?

Sounds like you might buy a lemon again, too? There are too many good deals going on new Corvettes to spend so much for someone else's crap, warranty or not.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 PM
0CeYaBye
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

GMPP does not offer a full refund if not used, if you cancel it before expiration time or miles you get a pro-rated refund from them not a full refund of purchase price.

OzCop, I would not be surprised if you have a GMPP, I bet it is not.

Dennis Fichtner
Old 12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
calaher
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danko
Sounds like you might buy a lemon again, too? There are too many good deals going on new Corvettes to spend so much for someone else's crap, warranty or not.
I only paid $28k for my car 2 yrs ago so adding the 3-yr GMPP was money well spent for my peace of mind. Except for the few problems I mentioned, it has given me a lot of joy. To each his own...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Munky
Guys, I am picking my a new to me 2006 C6 with 58k in sunset orange. I am not 100% certain of all the options, but I know it has nav and 6spd.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ealership.html

These C6 cars aren't a cheap fix, for anything.
How deep are your pockets?

Quick Reply: To warranty or not to warranty