C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 PM
fatboy93
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.

I am posting this as a reminder for anyone considering a vehicle purchase from other forum members, or anyone for that matter. I am a new member and had been looking for a nice late model convertible to replace the C5 I sold recently. After being a forum lurker for a long time, I a ran across a 2007 Machine Silver Convertible with 62K being sold by a Senior Member here. Because I didn't have an account at the time, I had another forum member contact the seller and get his contact information.

In the past, I have been really big on buying only one-owner vehicles because the history is usually easier to determine. So, I contacted the member and started getting the background on the car, etc. Because the car was located 700+ miles away in DeBary FL, I was a bit leery of committing to a sale over the Internet. However, I have a high school buddy who lives in Orlando and he volunteered to ride up and take a look at the car. He reported back that the car looked to be in good condition, but the hood was closer on one side and he thought it might have been in an accident. So, when I called the member back to discuss the car, I asked him about the hood and if the car had ever been in an accident. He responded the hood had never been off the car and there was never any damage.

After a few days, we reached a price and set a date for me to fly to Orlando and pickup the car. When I arrived, we began to look the car over. It was fairly clean, but had some road grime around the fenders. I looked at the hood, and it was indeed offset a couple of mm to one side. But, considering our previous conversation, and the fact that the car had a clean CarFax, I didn't pursue the issue any further (mistake on my part). Also, it was late in the day and I was trying to get on the road for a long drive back to KY.

The next morning, after a long trip home, I began to wash the car and noticed clear was peeling around the front fender well (see picture). This had not been visible when I picked up the car due the road grime. I immediately called the forum member and asked him about paint work to the front fender. He adamantly denied any paint work to the front fender had ever been done and blamed the peeling on the removal of some mud flaps that had been on the car. The next day, I took the car to a local body shop and they informed me the car had been painted all down the passenger side and it appeared the front fender had been paint blended to match the rest of the car. Needless to say, at this point I am really pissed off that I had been blatantly lied to. Luckily, the color sand and re-clear was only going to cost 300.00, so I asked the forum member to cover the cost. After sending him a copy of the estimate, he said his local GM dealer told him it should only be a 150.00 shop to fix the clear. Again, this was another lie, as there is not a GM dealer in the USA that does work that cheap. Regardless, I settled for the 150.00 as payment in an attempt to get the title back from him (he had a lien on the car). Once I got the title and registered the car, I called the GM dealer he mentioned (Jon Wall Chevrolet in Daytona Beach) and they faxed me a copy of all the work that had been done to the car. Turns out the car had a quarter panel replaced, door repaired and the car painted from the rear deck lid to the front fender, just as my local guy suspected. To this day the member still denies the front fender has ever been painted.

I learned a big lesson on this deal. Regardless of the person (This guy is a retried USAF Col.) and whether or not they are Senior forum members, there are cheats and liars everywhere. I guess I expected a little more integrity from this guy due to his service to the country. I was wrong.

I don't know the rules about posting his name, or forum alias, but anyone interested can PM me and I will let you know who he is so you can steer clear. Caveat emptor.

Front Fender

Previous Repairs Page 1

Previous Repairs Page 2

Previous Repairs Page 3

Previous Repairs Page 4

Last edited by fatboy93; 12-19-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should always look at a car during the day.. never as night and always look at a clean car.

everyone's gonna lie...

i'm lying right now

if you would have pulled the service history from the dealer on that vin you probalby would have seen all the repairs done to the car. at least the guy fessed up and paid for some of the repair.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:11 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 171 Posts

Sorry to hear you had to put up with that kind of However, hopefully there won't be anymore unfortunate surprises and you can get on with enjoying your car. How can a guy lie when you confront him with the paperwork
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know if the service history from the dealer via the vin or VIS system will show this, but you could be correct.

The major thing wrong besides the issues with the car and seller are that the buyer should have had the car checked out by someone who could take their time and professionally put the car up on a rack and go over it, for a small fee relative to the overall purchase price---a person who truly knew C6 Corvettes and whose job it was to repair or work on them. While I don't fault the person/friend who looked at it, the red flag was raised, and ignored. Caveat emptor is applicable.

I applaud the OP for at least exposing this issue, and I don't see any reason why the name of the seller can't be posted. Not trying to start any wars, but lying is lying and should be exposed for what it is.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:17 PM
GatewayShepherd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see him come on here and explain himself. But I bet he won't! As much respect I have for the military...they are still humans and are subject to the same poor character that others are....
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,455 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Who was it?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:21 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow, that really sucks. Like St. Char said, hopefully you can get the paint repaired and then get on with enjoying your car. It's bad enough that the loser lied to you; to continue denying that there was previous damage after you confronted him with proof to the contrary means that not only is he an idiot, he mistakenly thinks you're one, too. I'm curious - how does he explain the paperwork from the dealer? Here's hoping that everything works out for you.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow that sucks man... I feel for ya.. I don't mean to sound all "high and mightly", but this is precisely why I don't buy used unless the vehicles going to be an every day beater... Even if a car seems prestine and the seller looks the part, the car is USED
Old 12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
fleetc
Pro

a simple search of the right keyword and viewing of the profiles was an easy find. I'm not dime'ing him out if the OP didn't want to.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it show his signiture on the work order? Did he sign off on your contract that the car had never been damaged?

I guess by his agreeing to reimburse you, that he basically has admitted to the lie. I don't know what the Forum can do for you, but I would sure like to hear his story. Things like this just ruin it for everybody.

I bought my '09 from pictures by a dealer in Lansing, Mi. Then had the car shipped to me in Fl. While the car was only 7 months old, it did have over 10k miles. I never inspected the car and fortunately it arrived exactly as described. You would think another Forum member would be as honest and forthright as this car salesman. I don't know if I can name him as I do not know the rules. But he certainly should be recognized since the bad rap used car salesman have, and this man's description was perfect.

I guess that when yor buddy said the hood looked out of alignment you should have passed on that one.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Originally Posted by AORoads
I applaud the OP for at least exposing this issue, and I don't see any reason why the name of the seller can't be posted. Not trying to start any wars, but lying is lying and should be exposed for what it is.
I'm with Bill. Assuming the facts were reported correctly by the OP, there's no reason not to out the seller.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:24 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Wow, that's serious bad news man...
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

This appears to be the car... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nvertible.html
Old 12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As I have said time and time again, DO NOT TRUST a CarFax. DO NOT TRUST people to tell you the truth about a used Corvette UNLESS you know them (and the car) intimately. Make sure you get the VIN and get a vehicle service history printed out from an objective GM dealer. Then, if every thing looks good, make sure you have the car inspected by a mechanic you trust and by an objective GM dealer to make sure the car has never had a tune. Get that in writing if possible. Then make sure you have access to a clean title. Only then should you exchange any money.

There are a lot of Corvette owners who are taking modded cars and returning them to stock when they go to sell them so they can get their money back by selling the mods separately. How honest they are about that process is really open to interpretation. Buyer beware!
Old 12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
fatboy93
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
Good detective work

I appreciate the comments guys.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

9-15-2009

Originally Posted by ck 6
anybody know where i can get a c6 driver's side door? I had a dodge ram pu damage my door. The chevy body shop i use says there are no new doors available anywhere. Now we are trying to find a used door. Right now my car's repair is held up.

Last edited by savewave; 12-24-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Updating to address name change on seller
Old 12-19-2010, 09:39 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

That's just terrible that there are people that will lie to your face and misrepresent a car like that. If it were me and I could prove he lied, I would probably SUE him for fraud.

Here is another one of his post.

"Thanks, good idea. I am not concerned about color since the rear quarter panel has to be replaced and the car repainted along the left side."

--------------------------------------------------------

He may be scarce around here after this 'outing'.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 12-19-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

OK Colonel Vick - it's time for you to tell your side. What gives?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by CK 6
Anybody know where I can get a C6 driver's side door? I had a Dodge RAM PU damage my door. The Chevy body shop I use says there are no new doors available anywhere. Now we are trying to find a used door. Right now my car's repair is held up.

Wow...hard to believe the guy could be dumb enough to lie about damage when his own posts alluding to said damage could be so easily found on the forum! I'd think a long time senior member would be more concerned with their forum reputation than that.

Last edited by savewave; 12-24-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Updating to address name change on seller
Old 12-19-2010, 09:49 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
That's just terrible that there are people that will lie to your face and misrepresent a car like that. If it were me and I could prove he lied, I would probably SUE him for fraud.
TOTALLY! Especially for diminished value vs the price you paid.

Quick Reply: Deceptive C6 purchase in the forum.