C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED flashlight that plugs into cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:10 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED flashlight that plugs into cig lighter

Awhile back I seen an LED flashlight that "charges" when you plug it in the cigarette lighter.. I thought it was here on the forum from a forum vendor.. Does anybody remember where I seen it at??? Thanks in advance! Tonya
Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I have one in my Corvette that I bought from the parts department at a VW / Audi dealership (back when I owned a VW and an Audi).
Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 PM
jbain1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Four Seasons Survival has them - they're called "spot light"

Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

I was thinking.. but I could be crazy... that a vendor here had them listed as 1 of those "leaders" the more $ you spend with them.. You got 1 of these lights free with purchase.. but I'm not sure.. I could be
Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Bonefishmak
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonyasc6
I was thinking.. but I could be crazy... that a vendor here had them listed as 1 of those "leaders" the more $ you spend with them.. You got 1 of these lights free with purchase.. but I'm not sure.. I could be
Top flight productions is the vendor with that Tonya.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Do a search for "Spotlight Rechargeable LED" and you'll find dozens of places that sell them.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC4Q8wIwAQ#

Old 12-12-2010, 06:14 PM
BoosterClub
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI this wont clip into the storage bins accessory spot correctly, has to go in ashtray one.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Top Flight Reproductions
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by tonyasc6
Awhile back I seen an LED flashlight that "charges" when you plug it in the cigarette lighter.. I thought it was here on the forum from a forum vendor.. Does anybody remember where I seen it at??? Thanks in advance! Tonya
Originally Posted by BoosterClub
FYI this wont clip into the storage bins accessory spot correctly, has to go in ashtray one.
We have it here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dipstick.html

And it comes with an adapter so it will work in the storage bin as well
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 PM
HANK AZ.
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got them from Wal Mart in the auto section.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I've found that a regular LED flashlight is very bright and the batteries last almost forever. I have one that has three AAA's. It is very compact and bright. It cost $2 or so.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:55 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

thanks everybody!
Old 12-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I got my red anodized one from Forum Vendor PFYC.

Small enough to allow you to close the lid on the ashtray/socket while it's plugged in.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Redshift
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Just this weekend (well, I guess that's no different from EVERY weekend) I was using mine. The fact that it charges on the wall or in the car is great, but what made it go from cool gizmo to truly useful in just about every situation for me was the headband option. I can't tell you how often I use mine, but it's at least several times a week.

Click here to see our offerings and remember, we have a low price guarantee and customer loyalty points/reward program as well!

Click here to view PFYC.com's Rechargeable Cigarette Socket 12V LED Flashlight and options
Old 12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one of those and bought the same ones for my buddies last year. They work great and are pretty bright with a nice, tight beam.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:27 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best LED lights are built not bought. I cannot buy what I want--I have to build it. If you buy, chances are you get something with some horrible blue tint instead of a nice, warm tint. It probably only puts out 120-220 lumens. It just isn't as good as stuff you can put togather.

Run it off of CR123's.

Then again, I carry a 500+ lumen 6P surefire with an LED that creates light in the 3000K tint range. I am a bit of a flashlight nut. I started getting into them when I wanted a light for the AR-15 that was LED, ran for hours on end, and offered an incandescant-like tint and would light a target up at 100+ yards. In around half a dozen ounces total weight. Yeah...wanted the cake and to eat it, too.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
tonyasc6
Drifting

Originally Posted by BSSN
The best LED lights are built not bought. I cannot buy what I want--I have to build it. If you buy, chances are you get something with some horrible blue tint instead of a nice, warm tint. It probably only puts out 120-220 lumens. It just isn't as good as stuff you can put togather.

Run it off of CR123's.

Then again, I carry a 500+ lumen 6P surefire with an LED that creates light in the 3000K tint range. I am a bit of a flashlight nut. I started getting into them when I wanted a light for the AR-15 that was LED, ran for hours on end, and offered an incandescant-like tint and would light a target up at 100+ yards. In around half a dozen ounces total weight. Yeah...wanted the cake and to eat it, too.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Redshift
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Run it off of CR123's.

That sounds awesome, but my guess is most people either can't or don't want to "build their own" and finding a good quality, bright enough LED light with good features would suffice. Surely I'd love to have yours instead, but I have so many other lists of things to do that I just bought the one my company offers and now am using it to do the other stuff on my list. If I added "make LED flashlight" to my list I would never get to it.

Now I have to wait for my daughter to get older so she can be my assistant and we can knock these chores out more quickly LOL

Get notified of new replies

To LED flashlight that plugs into cig lighter

Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Run it off of CR123's.

i'm a major flashight and LED nut. I too use surefires and have LED powered AR-15 weapon lights.

this little $20 cigarette lighter flashlight is fantastic for a little $20 cigarette lighter flashlight...

btw, what diode are you using in the custom surefire?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QbnSuperman
i'm a major flashight and LED nut. I too use surefires and have LED powered AR-15 weapon lights.

this little $20 cigarette lighter flashlight is fantastic for a little $20 cigarette lighter flashlight...

btw, what diode are you using in the custom surefire?
SST-90 driven at 2800 mA. 3000K tint. WJ Bin, as I recall. I purchased the module, though. I don't have time to solder all that mess, I just spec what I want, buy the appropriate hoste (Surefire 6P with IIIa ano, UCL lense, stainless black finish bezel-ring, and an upgraded switch.) It's a pretty impressive package. About 1" diameter, 7" long, and it will light up an entire football-field side to side, end to end, well enough to ID people on the other side if your eyes are good enough to see faces that far.

If you want more throw, I recommend an XP-G @ 1.4A, or an SST-50 @ 2.8A, depending on run-time requirements.

With a 6P, always go with a light orange-peel reflector or optic. Many SMO reflectors will give you a slight "doughnut" pattern.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Top Flight Reproductions
We have it here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-dipstick.html

And it comes with an adapter so it will work in the storage bin as well
A few questions:

Is the "adapter " the same as the Super Socket, or something different?

Some cars (Corvette) have the sockets powered all the time, have you measured how much drain the flashlight puts on the car battery when shut down?

Other cars (Toyota) have the sockets un-powered when the car is shut down, has anyone checked to see if the flashlight slowly discharges backward through the socket?

Can the light be turned on while plugged in? I'm wondering if it would be possible to leave it plugged in my console and use it to illuminate the console interior.

Quick Reply: LED flashlight that plugs into cig lighter