C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you have purchased a Z06 if it came in an automatic transmission?
Yes
51.33%
No
48.67%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Z06 Auto Trans Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear

GM would do whatever it felt like to sell cars. Remember in the mid 1980's when GM sold a 140HP car and called it the Olds 442? I can site about 20 other examples.

GM could give a rats a** about you and your manual fetish. GM will do whatever it takes to sell a car. If GM knew that it could sell thousands of units of Z06's if it added an auto trans option, GM would do it. If GM knew it would sell thousands of units if it painted the C6 with polka dot's, it would.

GM doesn't hold to some archaic notion or some type of manual trans sports car creed. It does whatever it takes to sell cars. You are being naive.
So..then you agree that GM knows what they are doing with the Z06 in not offering an slushbox. What are we debating for then?
Old 12-14-2010, 02:41 PM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt realize it would be this close.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
Obviously they are different animals. However, they are both animals and very fast. They also should have the same and most important mission of all to sell. See a car cannot survive if it does not sell and nobody wants one. A car that nobody wants is a complete failure. The Cadillac team in part by offering a automatic in the V cars helped ensure the car would succeed in its most important mission sales.

Again, it is obvious people would buy a Z if it had a automatic. Therefore Chevy would undoubtedly sell more. A ZO6 auto would tear up the 1/4 mile and make consumers very happy. Selling more Z's would certainly help the cars most important mission. Yet, sadly we are witnessing the Z die a embarrassing death with very few consumers wanting it and therefore failing it's big & most important mission of all.
The Z06 is hardly a failure in sales. ALL corvette sales have tapered off significantly since the economy died.

To state that it's dying an embarrassing death due to not offering an automatic is ridiculus.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

In before lock...

I'd drive it...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
eyoung3sm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely consider it. Or make the C7 with more horsepower and call it a day? I like the flexibility and mine is a daily driver.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The A6 certainly would reduce acceleration a little, which could be a deal killer for serious competition. But if you install a simple cooler, it should survive pretty well. I know that even the clunky A4 in our 2001 with a $50 cooler did a lot of track weekends and autocross, never any problems. I sent a sample of the tranny fluid to Blackstone each year, they said that wear appeared to be normal.
GM knows the A6 wouldn't last on a real track. Autocrossing is not the same thing. That's why you don't see a dry sump in the GS unless it's a manual. They know that no one would try and campaign an automatic on a road course, and therefore the dry sump is not needed. The car would be slower, and the transmission could not survive the heat.

GM actually knows what they are doing. They designed this car and it was tested. Those (not you) that think they know more of what the car capabilities actually are than GM obviously have little idea what they are talking about.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

The only reason we all own Vette's is due to the automatic. When offered as a option close to 70% of Corvettes come with the automatic. You can bet your Vette without a automatic the Corvette would die.

Sadly, you feel the automatic is not only wrong for you it is wrong for others. Some people like to race in circles, some people like to race the 1/4, some people do not race, some people live in heavily populated areas and, some people like yourself are a reason the Z06 has failed its most important mission.

This antiquated way of thinking is part of the reason GM is in trouble. Fortunately, for GM the guys at Cadillac are on the ball. If the entire corporation was run with this old tired thinking (boy racer) the corporation would be doomed. Don't let advancement leave you behind.
Actually, GM made that decision already.

When GM finally introduces an electronic manual (like Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Nissan, etc) THEN that transmission will fit the bill. But the slushbox will never be offered in the Z06, now or in the future. It's just old tech and way too inefficient for the narrow mission the Z06 was designed for.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:53 PM
eyoung3sm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectre-13
There certainly is a market for an auto Z06 but to do right, the trans would need to be upgraded to a "true" DSG paddle shifting auto. Simply dropping in the current A6 wouldn't really match the caliber and spirit of the Z06 as a road track car. A drag strip car is a different story.

I owned a modified C6 Auto (A6) and the only thing I didn't like about it was the A6 in sport mode.
Sweet Camaro in your avatar.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redzone
The first gen V was only available with a manual,and it sold pretty well. I drove a new gen V a while back with the auto though & it impressed me.
As we all know pretty well is not good enough for the new GM. GM made a great decision placing a automatic in the V. I would bet dollars to doughnuts the auto outsells the manual. As a matter of fact the V did so well they added another model with the automatic of course. Corvette needs some of the Cadillac people real bad to breathe life into it. The GS was a help.

More then likely the Corvette Z06 will not get a automatic even though they always surprise me. We often complain at how short sided the Corvette team is. In this case it is true.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
The Z06 is hardly a failure in sales. ALL corvette sales have tapered off significantly since the economy died.

To state that it's dying an embarrassing death due to not offering an automatic is ridiculus.
Yes, all Corvette sales are down. However, the Z06 sales are a embarrassment to a great car. It has failed it's #1 mission miserably.

I love the ZO6. It is truly a great car in many ways. However, backward and short sided thinking of the Corvette team have not only embarrassed the model it has possibly doomed it as a complete failure when it comes to the sales mission.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:15 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Yes, all Corvette sales are down. However, the Z06 sales are a embarrassment to a great car. It has failed it's #1 mission miserably.

I love the ZO6. It is truly a great car in many ways. However, backward and short sided thinking of the Corvette team have not only embarrassed the model it has possibly doomed it as a complete failure when it comes to the sales mission.
Well, maybe it's an embarrassment to you, but since you don't own one, why do you care?

Your opinion of how the Corvette team designed the car is just your opinion, which you are entitled too, but it hardly means much in reality. No serious source is claiming the Z06 is an "embarrassment" or a "failure". Honestly, that defies reality and just makes you look a tad bitter that GM won't take your advice.

Not trying to start a **** war with you or anyone, but this whole debate of what GM should have done with the Z06 is EXACTLY what happens when they design a car by committee with too many cooks in the kitchen (trying to please everyone, but pleasing no one). The Pontiac Aztek was designed in such a way.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:19 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by LBear
The point was that auto's can be made to handle high-HP. Also, Porsche, Audi, BMW, Ferrari makes a Tiptronic that is .5 seconds faster than the manual in the same car. It can outshift and outperform the manual hands down on both the street, track, road coarse, drag strip or wherever.
Good point. But GM doesn't offer a transmission like that. As of now they only offer the torque converter (slush box) automatic. Therefore, GM thinks that the manual is the best for their performance Corvette.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 12-14-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:23 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 556 Likes on 339 Posts

how did this "poll" thread turn into a "banter" thread?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Xedes
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When GM finally introduces an electronic manual (like Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Nissan, etc) THEN that transmission will fit the bill. But the slushbox will never be offered in the Z06, now or in the future. It's just old tech and way too inefficient for the narrow mission the Z06 was designed for.
You with this "ZO6 mission" stuff. I'll bet 90% of the Z's sold have not, nor will ever see a track. Just like most SUV's never see any type of off-road adventures. Most people want the biggest or baddest thing put out simply for chest thumping and ego boosts.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only if GM would make the auto like a true F1 trans. Then I would def buy one. Look at the Porsche #'s with the traditional manual vs. their tiptronic trans. I was really surprised to see that the tiptronic was considerably faster than the traditional manual.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Xedes
You with this "ZO6 mission" stuff. I'll bet 90% of the Z's sold have not, nor will ever see a track. Just like most SUV's never see any type of off-road adventures. Most people want the biggest or baddest thing put out simply for chest thumping and ego boosts.
Who cares what you bet? If you don't think GM should make a higher performance version of the corvette, go cry to GM about it.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by warren s
Not flubbing the launch, not missing any shifts or bouncing off the rev limiter would be great. If Z-06s started to be sold with automatics, there would be a lot of owners making low 11 second passes, not videos of crashes because someone turned off the traction control and attempted to speed shift.
Speaking of which, I saw a Z06 running low 12's and then a base coupe (stock) running the low 12's. The guy in the Z06 couldn't get the car to launch right.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Auto Trans Poll

Old 12-14-2010, 03:56 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

GM knows the A6 wouldn't last on a real track. Autocrossing is not the same thing. That's why you don't see a dry sump in the GS unless it's a manual. They know that no one would try and campaign an automatic on a road course, and therefore the dry sump is not needed. The car would be slower, and the transmission could not survive the heat.

Wrong again. The reason why the dry sump is only available in manual is because the crank snout for the dry sump setup only works on the manual trans connection. The automatic transmission will not mount to the crank in order for the dry sump to work.

GM would have to retool everything. Which it doesn't want to due to $$$.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

We are up to 133 people (49%) that would have bought a Z06 if it came in an auto. Take that snapshot out of the forum and you would have 1,200+ people buying a Z06 INSTEAD of a base coupe, if it was offered in an auto trans.

That would have saved the Z06 and made more money for GM.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

What are the chances that we willl see a electronic manual on the C7

Quick Reply: Z06 Auto Trans Poll