C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Z06 vs new Grand Sport

Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Personally I can't afford either one of them, but if a new car cost less and has almost as many goodies, I would get the new car for 6K less.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are the poser if you buy a corvette to impress girls!

I wonder, do you drive your Z06 like bat at of hell at stoplights, then park it in the corners because you have no driving skill?

And anyone who thinks people track their cars to impress people, either girls or guys, is a fool.

Originally Posted by kurtwalheim
I'm with you. I am considering the same gamble, either financing an '06 Z06 (mid 40s) or leasing a new Grand Sport for about the same monthly payment. The choice is: a loaded, virtuely undriven, immaculant 4 yr old Z or a brand new base model GS. It is a difficult decision. But I am leaning toward the used Z. If you remove the fact that one is used and the other new, the loaded Z06 blows the plain GS out of the water.

To me -- and I don't want to start a flaming war -- the GS is too much of a poser compared to the Z. I feel like I should be getting, along with the new GS, a silk shirt (worn open at the neck), a tan (store bought), and a gold chain to wear around my neck nestled against my hariy chest, and possibly a leisure suit for the weekends.

I am now on my 3rd corvette and soon to have my 4th, but the Corvette sleazy-old-guy image has always made me uncomfortable. The Z06 mostly blows that image out of the water. Your not going to see a jet-black Z06 in a late-night T.V. toupee commercial. But you might see a white convertible GS with chrome wheels - the top's off, the dude's got the hair on his toupee blowing in the wind, and he's stopping to pick up a girl half his age, you get the picture.

My '08 C6 lease was my first new car and will probably my last. I agree that the new car experience is over rated. Once the car is off the lot, few people realize that it is a new car - and even fewer people care, although that might depend a lot on your social circle. Few people will realize that the Z06 is used, or care - it's still an impressive car.

I think the Z06 is destin to become one of the legendary Vettes. There is a whole generation of young men who have come of age dreaming of one day owning a Z06. As that generation ages and reaches financial security, the Zs will become popular on the collector market. When I was in high school Vettes were considered largely a joke. The C6 and particularly the Z06 changed that. Here was a 'vette that could stomp any Ricer or 5.0 out there - pluss it looked cool as F. But I digress.

Most of the girls -- let's face it gentlemen that is who we really care most about impressing no matter how often we take the car to the track to impress the guys -- that I'm trying to impress aren't going to know the difference between the GS and Z06, but I will. The Z06 is a beast; the GS is a poseur. I know the GS has gotten great reviews at the track. Justifiably so. But the GS is to the Z06 what White Snake is to Led Zepplin -- they both rock but only one of them is the real thing and the other a cheaper imitation.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by kurtwalheim
Most of the girls -- let's face it gentlemen that is who we really care most about impressing no matter how often we take the car to the track to impress the guys -- that I'm trying to impress aren't going to know the difference between the GS and Z06, but I will. The Z06 is a beast; the GS is a poseur. I know the GS has gotten great reviews at the track. Justifiably so. But the GS is to the Z06 what White Snake is to Led Zepplin -- they both rock but only one of them is the real thing and the other a cheaper imitation.
Well you are NOT going to impress me. Tell it to my ZR1!

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Get serious! Impress the girls? WTF? Talk about starting a war, now all GS owners are "poseurs"? GIVE ME A BREAK! FYI. I'm not trying to impress anybody but myself, I don't wear leisure suits or gold chains, and I have a full head of hair (all my own, by the way) and I'm married to an ex model. I also have the money to buy ANY Corvette, Base, GS, ZO6 or ZR1 so it's paid for when the man hands me the keys, but I chose the Grand Sport. Little did I know that makes me less of a man, silly me! I've got some road racing history, so I'm sure I can impress some of the guys too, not that I want or need to. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, try driving a ZO6 and a Grand Sport back to back on a tight road course, I think maybe you'll learn something that you may not want to know. That said, I do think the ZO6 is a great car, and my decsion was a difficult one, but it had NOTHING to do with money or impressing anyone, and the GS is a great car too. Ask the Ron Fellows School at Spring Mountain why they just bought a fleet of 14 new Grand Sports.

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
You are the poser if you buy a corvette to impress girls!

I wonder, do you drive your Z06 like bat at of hell at stoplights, then park it in the corners because you have no driving skill?

And anyone who thinks people track their cars to impress people, either girls or guys, is a fool.
He is not impressing anyone here

Last edited by DebRedZR1; 02-02-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is OLD. Kinda late to be making such long drawn out and boring posts. That's a long way to go to tell someone you're not impressed...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Greenstealth
This thread is OLD. Kinda late to be making such long drawn out and boring posts. That's a long way to go to tell someone you're not impressed...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used Z06 vs new Grand Sport