C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What don't you like about a stock C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 02:01 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I really really really disagree.

The so called "base" model ( some will point out each "model" has a "base" model ) has, IMO, very clean lines and a compact overall appearance. I like it.

The Z06 has a wider stance and is much more aggressive in appearance. But, along with this aggressiveness, it maintains a "clean concise" appearance.

To make the Z06 faster while overcoming the additional drag of the wider body more power was added. The Z06 is appreciably faster than the "regular" "narrow body" car.

The GS is, in my opinion, less attractive than either the narrow body or Z06. I find the "embellishments" of the model to be gaudy. This is just my opinion mind you. Before you tell me that the GS is selling really well let me say I don't care about that. To me it simply means that many people have bought it instead of a Z06 to save money OR instead of a narrow body car also to save money over the cost of a Z06.But, the GS is neither the narrow body car, which I find VERY attractive in it's own right, or the Z06, about which I feel the same. The GS is a marketing device that gives the less affluent buyer the chance to own a Z06 knock off and the Z06 owner who doesn't care about LS7 power the chance to save money as well.

In truth, the biggest thing that I dislike about the C6 today is the GS model. The narrow body is still selling very well AND I do not believe this is all because it is less expensive than the GS. Others prefer it's crisp more compact appearance as well.

What I would like to see in the C6 line would be a narrow body car with ZR-1 engine and drivetrain, some suspension mods within the body size limits, and some top of the line two piece brake rotors. Yes, the hood might need some mods to accommodate the mighty LS9.

Such a car would have less drag than the Z06 or ZR1 and, under certain circumstances on the track or drag stripe might be faster and better performing than either car.

Right now I'm considering a once owned, year old, ZR-1 since the factory won't build me a narrow body LS9 based coupe.

Come to think of it a narrow body with the Cadillac version of the LS9 might be pretty sweet too.

Don't mistake this post for GS bashing. I don't particularly like the model and I've stated my reasons. My primary point here is that there continue to be a significant percentage of buyers who actually PREFER the narrow body car over the wide body car.
Many coversations/posts bring up price and affordability as if that is the only consideration as to what model C6 one would buy, but many Corvette buyers could buy any model, or one of each if they wanted.

The XLR, was developed first, and then the C6 coupe, vert, and Z06 were all developed at the same time. I know why the design team did it (the Z06 aluminum frame), but marketing wise, I think they blew it by designing the Z06 as only a FRC. To me, the transparent targa top is a must, to others the vert or auto trans is a must. Having to sacrifice the power of the LS7, or now the LS9, in order to have a targa, vert or auto is a marketing mistake, big time.

Originally Posted by The Sandman
Dont mistake this for base model bashing (I know some would say that "all "models" have a base "model"" but since we all know which models we are referring to, what's the difference what we call it?) but for years I thought the narrow body was the nicest thing out there...that is, until the wide body came out and I got to see what a Corvette could REALLY look like. It is the natural evolution of the corvette. As the previous poster mentioned, he had no reason to upgrade to the C6 until the GS came out. I am pretty sure if you asked people on the street which the better looking car is, the vast majority will pick the wide body. It has a more modern look to it. If you love your narrow body C6, that is great. There are people who wont give up their stingrays for new Vettes too. Hell, I would love a stingray as an extra Vette, but who has the garage space, right? Anyway, I think you will continue seeing more people buying the wide body than the narrow body for as long as the narrow body is still in existence. When and if the C7 comes out, I would be willing to bet money that it is going to have a wide body.
The Z06 was developed at the same time as the C6 coupe and vert, and came out as a '06 model. It was out for 4 years before the GS, but I know what you're saying.

Originally Posted by mpuzach
While I genuinely like the look of the C6 wide bodies, I can't say that I like it better than that of the "base" coupes and convertibles. I really like the "clean" look of the base cars, too. Quite honestly, if I was to buy a Grand Sport over a base car it would be much more because of the suspension and brakes than the body panels. Given that, I'm glad to own my Z51-equipped "base" coupe.
Since the GS, I really appreciate the design of the coupe even more.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
The stock C6 is the greatest Corvette ever produced...most powerful, best handling, best stopping, best gas mileage, most reliable, etc. Wow, I've never heard this much bitching over such minutia...just goes to show how men have become more like women.

absolutely agree in all respects...

car is still the best bang for the buck in the sports car segment IMOH
Old 12-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OregonC6
I really really really disagree.

The so called "base" model ( some will point out each "model" has a "base" model ) has, IMO, very clean lines and a compact overall appearance. I like it.

The Z06 has a wider stance and is much more aggressive in appearance. But, along with this aggressiveness, it maintains a "clean concise" appearance.

To make the Z06 faster while overcoming the additional drag of the wider body more power was added. The Z06 is appreciably faster than the "regular" "narrow body" car.

The GS is, in my opinion, less attractive than either the narrow body or Z06. I find the "embellishments" of the model to be gaudy. This is just my opinion mind you. Before you tell me that the GS is selling really well let me say I don't care about that. To me it simply means that many people have bought it instead of a Z06 to save money OR instead of a narrow body car also to save money over the cost of a Z06.

But, the GS is neither the narrow body car, which I find VERY attractive in it's own right, or the Z06, about which I feel the same. The GS is a marketing device that gives the less affluent buyer the chance to own a Z06 knock off and the Z06 owner who doesn't care about LS7 power the chance to save money as well.

In truth, the biggest thing that I dislike about the C6 today is the GS model. The narrow body is still selling very well AND I do not believe this is all because it is less expensive than the GS. Others prefer it's crisp more compact appearance as well.

What I would like to see in the C6 line would be a narrow body car with ZR-1 engine and drivetrain, some suspension mods within the body size limits, and some top of the line two piece brake rotors. Yes, the hood might need some mods to accommodate the mighty LS9.

Such a car would have less drag than the Z06 or ZR1 and, under certain circumstances on the track or drag stripe might be faster and better performing than either car.

Right now I'm considering a once owned, year old, ZR-1 since the factory won't build me a narrow body LS9 based coupe.

Come to think of it a narrow body with the Cadillac version of the LS9 might be pretty sweet too.

Don't mistake this post for GS bashing. I don't particularly like the model and I've stated my reasons. My primary point here is that there continue to be a significant percentage of buyers who actually PREFER the narrow body car over the wide body car.

I agree whole-heartedly with OregonC6 regarding the GS model. I also realize that we are both in the
minority of opinion, given the way the GS model has sold. I understand exactly what GM did in producing
the GS, from a marketing and price-point standpoiint; but it's not for me.

GM should have instead just offered an A6 transmission option with the Z06...but given where the economy has landed, GM likely maximized total sales dollars in the Corvette line by offering the GS.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mpuzach
While I genuinely like the look of the C6 wide bodies, I can't say that I like it better than that of the "base" coupes and convertibles. I really like the "clean" look of the base cars, too. Quite honestly, if I was to buy a Grand Sport over a base car it would be much more because of the suspension and brakes than the body panels. Given that, I'm glad to own my Z51-equipped "base" coupe.

...which is exactly why I bought my '09 C6 Z51 equipped coupe in October '09 although 2010 GS models were available
Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...which is exactly why I bought my '09 C6 Z51 equipped coupe in October '09 although 2010 GS models were available
If you could, it would be interesting to see just how many pre-GS buyers went the way of adding a wide-body kit. I am of the opinion that GM simply saw how many folks were doing this and decided that it made good marketing sense to offer an alternative that would put money in GM's pocket.

People who want to can still buy the "narrow" bodied car and frankly, will have just as good a set of brakes and can cheaply install an oil cooler if need be.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM
StoneOakDan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Convertible Top

Love my 08 VR A6 Ragtop but I would love it more if it had a White TOP!

Not too much of a request!!!!
Old 12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

If you could, it would be interesting to see just how many pre-GS buyers went the way of adding a wide-body kit. I am of the opinion that GM simply saw how many folks were doing this and decided that it made good marketing sense to offer an alternative that would put money in GM's pocket.

People who want to can still buy the "narrow" bodied car and frankly, will have just as good a set of brakes and can cheaply install an oil cooler if need be.
Here we go again. Can you name ALL the differences in a manual Z51 equiped Vette?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by StoneOakDan
Love my 08 VR A6 Ragtop but I would love it more if it had a White TOP!

Not too much of a request!!!!
That's one you can easily do yourself. It would look good, and be cooler in the sun.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
txrancher47
Intermediate

Better interior...more soundproofing
Old 12-05-2010, 03:49 PM
StoneOakDan
Advanced

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
That's one you can easily do yourself. It would look good, and be cooler in the sun.
Who makes a quality WHITE replacement top? I have looked and have not found one but sure would do it if I could find one which is not vinyl!
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StoneOakDan
Who makes a quality WHITE replacement top? I have looked and have not found one but sure would do it if I could find one which is not vinyl!
Mid America, Ecklers, GM...I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:23 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Here we go again. Can you name ALL the differences in a manual Z51 equiped Vette?
Trust me...I can. Will I acknowledge how many of them are really important, IMO? Not here...:
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

HUD should be a standard feature.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

I ordered a black on black vert, 2LT, Z51, Q9V, MN6 and couldnt be happier. The things I changed gave the car my personality (see sig).

I see a few people on here want radio controls, I dont see the logic in that when the radio itself sits about a foot away from your steering wheel.

No car is perfect for everybodys needs and I am easy to please so no complaints from me on the vette. I do have a request... maybe making it run a tad faster in the quater mile from the factory.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Joe Camel
Intermediate

The stock C6 is the greatest Corvette ever produced...most powerful, best handling, best stopping, best gas mileage, most reliable, etc. Wow, I've never heard this much bitching over such minutia...just goes to show how men have become more like women.
I agree about the car, wouldn't trade mine for anything. That doesn't make it perfect, it just makes it better than anything else. So it shouldn't be even better just because it's the best?

This thread isn't about bitching, it's about what people think would make it even better. You misinterpret a lot of threads? You probably think GM should just freeze the model as is from now on? Well I don't, the only way I want to trade this baby in is if they make significant improvements to everything.

And I resent the hell out of being compared to a superior species. I don't have hair on my knuckles because they drag on the ground when I walk.

Oh, and one other thing I would change. I'd get rid of the yellow stickers on the sun visors. Called the dealer and replacements come with the stickers separate and note saying they should be applied.

Last edited by Joe Camel; 12-05-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
And I resent the hell out of being compared to a superior species. I don't have hair on my knuckles because they drag on the ground when I walk.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by da vette guy
the only thing i don't like is the payments,i love my base model 1 option A6 2008 coupe ........if i just really had to complain a little, would be give me a manly regular mechanical door handles inside and out,if you need a push button to get in and out of a car you really don't have the strenght to drive.....
OK, I'm new here but if you think about it the electronic door mechanizes save weight. Enough said.

Get notified of new replies

To What don't you like about a stock C6?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Tim Coltrain
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My Thought

I'm happy with my first car. I bought mine to turn it into what it is today. I waited all my life to get my first vett. I could never figure how so many people could complain over a vett. Be happy I'm happy. Remember its an American Dream Car. The Corvette. The only complaint I have is wishing I had the money to own a ZR1.

TIM$VETT
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 PM
Joe Camel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by B y r o n
OK, I'm new here but if you think about it the electronic door mechanizes save weight. Enough said.
Not nuff said. You might change your mind when you are sitting in the drivers seat and the door won't open.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:11 PM
da vette guy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B y r o n
also i'm guessing a button and a motor on a mechanism(sp?)would weigh more than a mechanism by itself. i'm just saying regular handles like the C5 would have been fine with me but like i said earlier it's not even really a complaint with me, anyways. I think for the money there is no better performance,handling,fuel economy and looks in any car made today in any country......

Quick Reply: What don't you like about a stock C6?