C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to go about test driving an LS3 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Theman9999
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to go about test driving an LS3 Vette?

You all may be wondering as to why I would ask this question, well the problem is I am 19 years old, and have a feeling a dealer isn't going to let me take out their brand new Vette. I'm currently torn between an slighly used Evo X, and an 08' Z51. Problem being, Ive never driven an LS3 Vette, only rode in one briefly. So where can I, or how can I convince a dealer to let me test drive their car, I've gone into look at them before and they didn't even ackknowledge I was there, but if I was looking at a Cobalt, they probably would have ran right up too me. So if anyone has an suggestions, They'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Before you go think theres no way a 19 year old kid can afford a newer Vette, let me tell you my situation. I have an 06' STI worth about atleast 20k, and roughly 10k I can use to spend, I've found plenty of low mileage LS3 Vettes for 32k and less, which means I'd barley have a loan at all, and it'd be nice to build some credit aswell. I have no expenses, other than going out with my friends etc, my parents are paying for my college, and I have a part-time job where I make decent money for my age. Please don't take this the wrong way, I work very hard in school, and still maintain 20+ hours a week at my job, and am very capable of handling an LS3 car, as I have experience driving much quicker cars, and plenty of autocross/drag days in my STI.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Shodan01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Go to Carmax
Old 12-02-2010, 09:42 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

It can be tough getting a test drive in a new Corvette since buyers are often turned off by new Corvettes with miles on them. I wouldn't think that getting a test drive in a used one would be difficult at all. Convince the dealer that you're a serious buyer and you should be fine.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put that money in the bank and buy the Vette in 10 years. At 19 if anyone would have given me a car like that i would have killed myself. You just think totally differently when your 19 than when you are ... ok i'm 39 and holding on...lol... but its true. I know it's tough but if you really want the car and feel your responsible enough....still put the money in the bank! LOL... trust me you will thank me in 10 years - do you know what you could do with that in 10 years time.... put it in an IRA account and start saving now. Or if it is really killing you and you have to have it buy a used one really look hard there are KILLER deals out there but if I could give you great advice take at least half and bank it and the other half toward your obsession. I've wanted one since I was 8 but never could come close to saving enough while completing college etc. Plus you might have some really cool stuff you might want to do in a few years at school - travel and chicks... Chicks will go through that 10k in like a month man LOL.... take 1 trip and you'll see. Ok rant ova....

Last edited by TBonez; 12-02-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM
mack morrow jr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As J.G. Wentworth says: Its your money,use it the way you want to. Simply tell the sales person you have the money and if he doesnt cooperate you will wave to him when you buy your LS3 someplace else.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Theman9999
Intermediate

Thank you guys for the responses, I am not near a carmax so that is out of the question, and finding a used LS3 that is in resonable distance is easier said than done. I pretty much know how the Evo will drive since its a similar car to the STI, but would really have to drive both before deciding, which would mean going to a dealer, test driving it, then buying it is out of the question, since I like to sleep on stuff and not jump right into things.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

While I tend to agree with Tbonez, there are some 19 y.o. who are responsible. If you work 20 hours / wk and go to school, you're probably responsible. Just be careful.

You can probably find a place that will let you drive a used Vette. Carmax is probably a good idea. It sonds like your STi is paid for. If it is, take the title with you and show them.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Before you get to worked up, call your insurance agent and ask them for the rates on a 2008 Corvette. I would hate to see you buy one and then get an insurance bill that you weren't expecting.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Theman9999
Intermediate

^ True about the insurance rates, but I'm pretty sure the STI is actually just as expensive, my dad said when he was getting the rates for the STI it was in the highest tier, so hopefully it would not be too much more.

Also I'm not your typical idiot 19 year old with a fast car, I have alot of respect for any fast car, and don't screw around on the roads like most teenagers. Sure I get on it here and there but nothing crazy. Thats what the track is for.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Theman9999
^ True about the insurance rates, but I'm pretty sure the STI is actually just as expensive, my dad said when he was getting the rates for the STI it was in the highest tier, so hopefully it would not be too much more.

Also I'm not your typical idiot 19 year old with a fast car, I have alot of respect for any fast car, and don't screw around on the roads like most teenagers. Sure I get on it here and there but nothing crazy. Thats what the track is for.
Check it anyway. I remember back in 1984 when a friend's newly married 19 YO nephew & wife traded their paid off car for a new 1984 Camaro Z28. Didn't think to check insurance rates. bought the car, drove it around for a couple of weeks, called their insurance agent to get the insurance switched and found out the annual insurance premium was higher the the twelve car payments for the same period. They took the car back to the dealer, but their old car had been sold. They ended up having to trade the new Z28 for a plain Jane sedan, and took one hell of a beating.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Vette would be a great choice but it depends what you want the car for, if you plan to still autocross I would give the Evo X or something in that class considerable thought.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Any dealer will let you test drive a used car. show them you are a serious buyer. You might want to wait for some of that snow to get out of the way.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Theman9999
Intermediate

I've never had the chance to drive any Vette hard, how tossable is it, can you switch lanes very quick on the highway, can you duck into sharp 90 degree angel turns quick? I know obviously it is much easier to loose traction but how does the car feel in terms of tossabilty and nimbleness.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:44 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Before I even opened this thread, I was thinking to myself to be about 45-55 years old and wear a nice shirt.

but if you $20k in a white envelope and let the dealer catch a glimpse of it, that might work for too.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Theman9999
Intermediate

Yes, I'd probably wait till spring, as I plan on keeping my car through the winter then picking up a new car come april or may.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Theman9999
I've never had the chance to drive any Vette hard, how tossable is it, can you switch lanes very quick on the highway, can you duck into sharp 90 degree angel turns quick? I know obviously it is much easier to loose traction but how does the car feel in terms of tossabilty and nimbleness.

don't turn the traction control off the first time you get in it. Things happen really fast. I used to have a hard time switching between my Evo X and my C6...well, until they ended up being a bit expensive to have both, but don't let the awd habit stab the throttle mid turn.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:49 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like you are in Buffalo, NY......are you going to drive it in the winter? think again.

Get notified of new replies

To How to go about test driving an LS3 Vette?

Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Before you get to worked up, call your insurance agent and ask them for the rates on a 2008 Corvette. I would hate to see you buy one and then get an insurance bill that you weren't expecting.
dude, trust me, they insure C6's like they were Buicks. I had one of the aforementioned Evo X's and man, that really cost a lot to keep going- the insurance was an insult and I'm 41.

anyhow, the Evo X has a few advantages on the street, but for the track or highway, C6 all the way. you'll get more tickets in the Evo because you can drive it 99 percent without crashing. The vette, less tickets because there is a little underlying fear on the street- less so on the track where you have room to let it slide.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Theman9999
Intermediate

Yeah, I have some experience driving RWD, but before I even thought about fooling around in it, I'd learn the car at an autox course. I have a friend who cracked up his Camaro due to lack of responsibilty and he was just driving like an idiot on the streets.

Also I do not plan on driving the Vette in the winter, that'd be a horrible experience I'm sure.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

IT SHOULD BE AGAINST THE LAW FOR A 19 YEAR OLD KIND TO HAVE A C6 VETTE! OK, I feel better. Look, I'm not your father, but your father is paying for you to go to school! Get your education, get a good job, then buy what you want. I can not sit back and agree with anyone allowing someone else to pay their way, and they spend their money on toys! I look at it this way....You are living on welfare, so don't buy things you don't need, unless you pay for them yourself! I bet your parents bought your current car and I doubt at 19 you have saved anything over a few grand! Sorry to be so streight forward, but life is life. Work, then earn it and then you can own it!!!!

Quick Reply: How to go about test driving an LS3 Vette?