C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N intake or others

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM
helloimblanco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N intake or others

thinking of getting a K&N intake for my DD 2010 6spd. i'm not sure if this is the right choice for me so i decided to ask the people who know, you guys

is there anything other brands i should be looking at??

p.s. = i dont know that much of good intake brands for corvettes, thats why im doing research
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I went with Halltech with the Beehive shroud and opened up my naca duct also

Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 PM
helloimblanco
Instructor

beautiful car, thanks for the help
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the K&N is more of an air filter change than a true intake. If you are looking for any benefit at all over stock I'd look for a cold air intake - which means the radiator shroud will need to be cut.

As for brands, Callaway and Lingenfelter are 2 respected names.

I went with Callaway.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by helloimblanco
thinking of getting a K&N intake for my DD 2010 6spd. i'm not sure if this is the right choice for me so i decided to ask the people who know, you guys

is there anything other brands i should be looking at??

p.s. = i dont know that much of good intake brands for corvettes, thats why im doing research
Why? You won't get more then a half dozen, if that, horsepower increase and you can't feel that on the street. Your stock air breather is the same as used on the Z06 and ZR1, even though the ZR1 has a slightly different filter element. A comparison done several years ago between a stock LS3/7 paper filter element and a ZR1 paper filter element and a Attack Blue cotton gauze filter element showed all within a couple of horsepower of each other on a chassis dyno. That is within the margin of error so who knows if there really was a difference.If that air breather can feed 505 and 638 then it has no problem with 436 horses. The factory filter is good for 50,000 miles, will filter better then a cotton gauze filter and the cotton gauze filter with excess oil will foul the MAF that GM will not cover under warranty. If you have any problems related to turbulence across the MAF and have an aftermarket air breather installed, GM will not repair under warranty.

How long will it take you to get 50,000 miles? You have already paid for the first 50,000 miles of filter, so when that 50,000 miles is up, then buy a new GM filter element for $85 and it will last you till you hit 100,000 miles. And you don't have to mess with cleaning a cotton gauze all the time(I think about 10,000 miles is the max they recommend between cleanings of the cotton gauze filter). You can replace a bunch of $85 paper filters for what a aftermarket air breather costs($250-$500).

The big horsepower increases shown by the aftermarket companies are after they do a tune in conjunction with their air breather. You can do a tune with your stock air breather and get the same increases. But, if you do a tune(with or without a air breather change), you are likely to lose your warranty if you have a major engine problem and GM has the dealer's tech scan your computer and email the the scan back to GM for their analysis.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:27 PM
helloimblanco
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Why? You won't get more then a half dozen, if that, horsepower increase and you can't feel that on the street. Your stock air breather is the same as used on the Z06 and ZR1, even though the ZR1 has a slightly different filter element. A comparison done several years ago between a stock LS3/7 paper filter element and a ZR1 paper filter element and a Attack Blue cotton gauze filter element showed all within a couple of horsepower of each other on a chassis dyno. That is within the margin of error so who knows if there really was a difference.If that air breather can feed 505 and 638 then it has no problem with 436 horses. The factory filter is good for 50,000 miles, will filter better then a cotton gauze filter and the cotton gauze filter with excess oil will foul the MAF that GM will not cover under warranty. If you have any problems related to turbulence across the MAF and have an aftermarket air breather installed, GM will not repair under warranty.

How long will it take you to get 50,000 miles? You have already paid for the first 50,000 miles of filter, so when that 50,000 miles is up, then buy a new GM filter element for $85 and it will last you till you hit 100,000 miles. And you don't have to mess with cleaning a cotton gauze all the time(I think about 10,000 miles is the max they recommend between cleanings of the cotton gauze filter). You can replace a bunch of $85 paper filters for what a aftermarket air breather costs($250-$500).

The big horsepower increases shown by the aftermarket companies are after they do a tune in conjunction with their air breather. You can do a tune with your stock air breather and get the same increases. But, if you do a tune(with or without a air breather change), you are likely to lose your warranty if you have a major engine problem and GM has the dealer's tech scan your computer and email the the scan back to GM for their analysis.
thank you very much for the help
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a halltech and didnt feel it did anything
Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

Like JoesC5 said.....I would just leave it alone. It will outrun 99.9% of the cars on the road as it is.

Larry
Old 09-17-2010, 08:43 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Good info as I was thinking of doing a change also, but will save my money. Doing CAI alone with no other mods appears to be a waste of money.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Yeah the stock intake is so good all the race Corvettes keep them in the car
Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

don't waste your money unless you plan to do A LOT more to the car. The CAI alone will do absolutely nothing that you can feel.

Been there... done that... got the t-shirt.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Bingo! Don't waste your money on just a big filter,keep what you have.If you must,your only choices for any kind of power gain will be CALLAWAY,LPE,BREATHLESS,VARARAM or something similar.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

- to me, all these high flow filters on a stock motor is 90% hype, and 10% fact - sort of like wax and polish, fancy tipped spark plugs, speciality motor oils, and microfiber towels...

Last edited by Joe C; 09-17-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:07 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

BWOM on an LS3 or LS7 Unless you have MAJOR mods ( breath in ,breath out ).The stock unit is very well designed and remains on some of the better performance co's built Vettes. This from the mouths of GM engineers. The LS 2 can benefit though.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Yeah the stock intake is so good all the race Corvettes keep them in the car
Have to reread the thread title, I did not know the Op had a "racecar"
Old 09-17-2010, 11:47 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Raazor
don't waste your money unless you plan to do A LOT more to the car. The CAI alone will do absolutely nothing that you can feel.

Been there... done that... got the t-shirt.
Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
BWOM on an LS3 or LS7 Unless you have MAJOR mods ( breath in ,breath out ).The stock unit is very well designed and remains on some of the better performance co's built Vettes. This from the mouths of GM engineers. The LS 2 can benefit though.
all of the above.

I did just buy a used Halltech KB for my Z06 for cheap, but that is because I have mods planned for the car in the future, but as all the rest of said , unless you are planning major mods, the stock unit works just fine.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

AND IN THE END,YOU CAN GET A BRAND NEW AIR RAID FILTER FOR HALF THE PRICE OF A K+N AND THEY WILL DO THE SAME THING,...not much.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N intake or others

Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Have to reread the thread title, I did not know the Op had a "racecar"
Was referring to the comment that you can get the same gains with a stock filter as you can with an aftermarket one with a tune, so maybe you need to go back and read the whole thread, guess you missed that part
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Raazor
Pie anyone

Quick Reply: K&N intake or others