C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 week road trip next summer-do I take the Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Just drive it the same as you do around town. Stay away from the trucks, don't tailgate, park away from other cars at restaurants, etc. If you come upon road construction that you don't feel comfortable with, do a U-turn and find an alternate route.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 PM
cwing85b
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife and I took the Vette on a road trip last May, one week before the big holiday. We started at Zion Nat park and hit all the parks North through Utah. We avoided all Interstates when ever at all possible. The timing was perfect, everything was open for the holiday yet no crowds yet. We drove a little over 4000 miles and had the time of our life! No one is more paranoid than I when it comes to the Vette, but it came out perfect. It's a great car, enjoy! Don't be one of those that are afraid of miles or rock chips. You will miss all the fun!!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisdlj
My wife and I are retiring next summer and are going to take a 3 week road trip. I live in Minnesota and will go out West and then South and see the country. I have done it before on my Harley but now my wife is going too. I wanted to take our new 2010 Grand Sport convertible so we can still enjoy the open air feeling. She was all for it but then said, " what if we run into summer road construction and get fresh tar on it or get nicks on it due to bad roads, etc. Maybe we should take one of our regular cars." Yes I want to take the Vette but not at the expense of nicking it up etc. I also was going to buy a coverking cover for it to use every night at the hotels. This car is my life long dream and am very very proud of its looks. I wouldn't be buying another one for years. So, what do your guys think??
Experiences, not possessions, make us happy. I'd much rather pick up a few nicks while enjoying my Corvette during the road trip of a lifetime than spend those three weeks driving something mundane.

I put nearly 4,000 miles on my C6 in the first week I owned it on a cross-country road trip with a friend of mine. If I'd had to completely repaint the car afterward it would still have been worth it.

Last edited by torquetube; 12-02-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:46 PM
BrianBNM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life is short. Enjoy it. Be glad you are even asking this question.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I are retiring next summer and are going to take a 3 week road trip. I live in Minnesota and will go out West and then South and see the country. I have done it before on my Harley but now my wife is going too. I wanted to take our new 2010 Grand Sport convertible so we can still enjoy the open air feeling. She was all for it but then said, " what if we run into summer road construction and get fresh tar on it or get nicks on it due to bad roads, etc. Maybe we should take one of our regular cars." Yes I want to take the Vette but not at the expense of nicking it up etc. I also was going to buy a coverking cover for it to use every night at the hotels. This car is my life long dream and am very very proud of its looks. I wouldn't be buying another one for years. So, what do your guys think??
Absolutely these cars are meant to be driven, I did a cross country drive last summer the only thing I made sure of was to protect the areas around the front end, all fenders, and the doors....I did the clear bra but there are also other solutions out there. I had such a good time driving the Vette and want to do it again, probably drive up the coast from SF to Seattle next year
Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 PM
K9KUZ
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Take the Vette, throw on a GM Bra will take care of your nick worries, and forget the car cover. Have fun.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 AM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Packing light in the summer is easy. Take one set of "nice casual" and all the rest shorts and tees/blouses and undies of course. Take a bag for dirty stuff and do a load of laundry every 4-5 days of so. One pair sneakers/sandals and one nice pair of leathers (yes the wife can bring bring a couple more). One light jacket each, caps. Coupes have lots of room unlike FRCs/Z06s or verts. Sometimes see people look at us with amazement when we unpack for the night although it can be a bitch to repack in the a.m.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:39 AM
blackbeast21
Advanced

I dont think anyone said it yet, but I'd probably take it. haha

Wow, this has got to be the most repetitive thread ever. So in order to be different I say garage it and never drive it!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:42 AM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

take the VETTE, you and the wife will enjoy it. i waxed my car before i took a cross country trip from VEGAS to CHICAGO and carried a bottle of bug & tar removal and detail spray when it got dirty. CORVETTES are made for the hi-way .
Old 12-03-2010, 04:57 AM
jdgun_0013
Racer

So many good responses on here,
I was asked the other day about how many miles were on my C6 corvette and told 60,xxx miles, which got the WOW thats alot for a 2005...Then i was like,
You see how happy i am when i come into work?
Thats because i sdirve the car have the experiences & memories of going all over in a great car..
In the end it is but metal & plastic, take care of it sure...but use it as intended.

Next year i will drive the car to the Nurburging for a once in a chance oppetunity, yeah 1200 miles round trip, but a memory to last me until i pass away some day.
As they say ENJOY THE RIDE, (drive for cars)
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 AM
hot1
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Take the vette and enjoy the drive. I did a 30 day trip a couple years ago west coast to east and back through the north. Did not have any problems. Enjoy the vette and get it out of the garage.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM
cec58
Instructor

I know that it is tough getting your first nick and scratch but I came to the conclusion that I enjoy driving my 2006 convertible more than I do driving my Suburban, so I drive it. At trade in time you wash it and wax it and the dealer glances at it and gives you a price. People can argue otherwise, but so what. The only thing that limits my wife and I from taking the C6 on a trip is the amount of crap we have to haul and we have gotten used to packing light. Enjoy you car and enjoy your retirement. You worked hard for both.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Take the vette do not put the cover on every night it will scratch the paint and cause attention to the car
Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Leafless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racer44
It's unanimous!!!
Go enjoy it!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife live in MI and I have an 09 C6 and have taken it on two 3 week road trips. One to TX and one down the east coast after attending the 09 Caravan in Bowling Green. I had the clear 3m bra installed and it has done it's job. We've really enjoyed our past trips and are looking forward to more. Enjoy your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:16 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racer44
Good God, how about NEVER drive it, would that work for ya?
Seriously, this is what the car is best suited for, cruising down the highway, being on holidays/retired having your baby with you and enjoying life.. or you could leave it in the garage all the time.
Also, screw the cover, it will be fine.
At this point what could you be possibly saving it for?
Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
bonnevillebill
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 15 Posts

You wouldn't marry Christie Brinkley and then not take her to bed just because she get some marks on her wrists from the handcuffs, would you?
Just enjoy the experience.

Get notified of new replies

To 3 week road trip next summer-do I take the Vette?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:31 AM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the car. Its made to be driven. So what if you get a scratch or something happens. I'm sure you have insurance. I'll never understand why some owners (not saying you) treat a $50k corvette like its worth a million dollars and half of us beat the crap out of SUV's and Trucks that cost just as much if not more and don't think twice about it. That would be like me not wanting to take my 31' CC fishing because I don't want to get fish blood on it.....
Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Drive and enjoy! I know about all the "what-ifs", I am the same way myself. But all those horrible things you imagine are not likely to happen. Park carefully (as you always do), if you get into marbles, slow down. Have a good trip folks!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Rednblack
Pro

Take it - if not, you will regret it. We have done many of these and all have been great! Our net trip is planned for April - maybe we will see another Minnesota Corvette on the road someplace west.

Quick Reply: 3 week road trip next summer-do I take the Vette?