C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Master Cylinder Cap issue on my C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM
bluec6vet
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Master Cylinder Cap issue on my C6

The fluid in my Clutch Master Cylinder looked low so I removed the cap to check it. When I did that the bladder inside the cap expanded to about 4 times it normal size, would not go back into its collapsed position and the plastic tip fell out of it, so it would not even fit back insode the Cap. I tried to buy a new cap w/bladder and found I had to buy the entire Master Cylinder $125. Has anyone else had this problem or would know what could cause it. The dealer said maybe the incorrect fluid was added to the cylinder but my clutch was working fine and I have never had to add fluid in the past.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM
cooldog
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluec6vet
The fluid in my Clutch Master Cylinder looked low so I removed the cap to check it. When I did that the bladder inside the cap expanded to about 4 times it normal size, would not go back into its collapsed position and the plastic tip fell out of it, so it would not even fit back insode the Cap. I tried to buy a new cap w/bladder and found I had to buy the entire Master Cylinder $125. Has anyone else had this problem or would know what could cause it. The dealer said maybe the incorrect fluid was added to the cylinder but my clutch was working fine and I have never had to add fluid in the past.
Someone posted info on a mod that replaces that tiny reservoir with a larger one by Wilwood. It's work doing, as it would keep the fluid cleaner, longer. Search for it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:34 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by bluec6vet
That don't seem right. I'd try another dealer. See if you can get the bladder back in the cap , it sometimes takes a little effort to collapse it. Add DOT 4 to the max line but don't get any on the paint, cover the fenders etc and put the cap back on B4 you push the clutch in.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:37 PM
bluec6vet
6th Gear

Believe me when I say it aswelled up to at least four times its size...there was no getting it back in the cap!
Old 12-30-2022, 07:22 PM
GS-2013
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 126 Posts

Try posting a WTB in the C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted Forum. If all you need is the cap, I bet someone has one laying around. You might get it for little more than the cost of postage.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:29 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,792 Likes on 1,151 Posts

Post #4 maybe https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...p-dilemna.html
Old 12-30-2022, 08:07 PM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

There is no way this would happen with the proper fluid being used. Something with petroleum or ??? Got in there.
Also
If it swelled the cap that much, think of what it's doing to the internal seals.

If it hasn't failed yet, it will soon, and if that mixed fluid makes its way down to the clutch cylinder out comes the Trans axle to change that. Say good bye to a couple grand.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:23 PM
GS-2013
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by pbergmann
There is no way this would happen with the proper fluid being used. Something with petroleum or ??? Got in there.
Also
If it swelled the cap that much, think of what it's doing to the internal seals.

If it hasn't failed yet, it will soon, and if that mixed fluid makes its way down to the clutch cylinder out comes the Trans axle to change that. Say good bye to a couple grand.
Great points.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:52 AM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

If you still have the old style master cylinder that is prone to failure, now would be a good time to replace it
Old 12-31-2022, 10:41 AM
ApexClone
Pro

Received 236 Likes on 131 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would hope this guy resolved his issue in the last 12 years.
The following users liked this post:
87SAM (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 11:10 AM
Lee Cromwell
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 148 Posts

I was just gonna say,,,, bet the guy has figured it out, it's only been 13 years!! But, the fluid was contaminated! I've seen it happen before many many moons ago, someone has put oil or something in there!

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Master Cylinder Cap issue on my C6

Quick Reply: Clutch Master Cylinder Cap issue on my C6