C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fascia Reinforcement Part for Splitter

Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Z33 to a C6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Fascia Reinforcement Part for Splitter

I just ordered the ZR1 style splitter for my Grand Sport. It wasn't until afterwards did I find out that I will also need to buy a reinforcement part too. This part is over $200 bucks! (GM #25954152)

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? Evidently this part is needed because the splitter can get pushed downwards and break at high speeds. I don't track my car so I'm wondering what they consider just how high is "high speed"?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:02 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I believe it is rated at anything over 85 mph
Old 12-15-2010, 05:35 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well now, that is another incentive not to exceed the speed limit, isn't it? I'm in the same boat.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z33 to a C6
I just ordered the ZR1 style splitter for my Grand Sport. It wasn't until afterwards did I find out that I will also need to buy a reinforcement part too. This part is over $200 bucks! (GM #25954152)

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative? Evidently this part is needed because the splitter can get pushed downwards and break at high speeds. I don't track my car so I'm wondering what they consider just how high is "high speed"?

I installed the ZR1 style splitter on the base C6. No reinforement required.

http://www.cianciusa.com/zr1-front-s...-sport-50.html
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
I installed the ZR1 style splitter on the base C6. No reinforement required.

http://www.cianciusa.com/zr1-front-s...-sport-50.html
Have you exceeded 85 MPH with it on? Why do you believe no reinforcement is needed?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33 to a C6

I don't know what speed is critical, but I've read of several forum members that have busted the splitter while driving on the highway, although I think one was on the Autobahn!!

Here's a link to the Katech reinforcing piece. It's cheaper than the GM one, and made to the exact same size:

http://store.katechengines.com/fasci...tter-p198.aspx

I don't think anyone makes a reinforcing piece for the splitter that is made for the base C6.

I know that if I put a ZR1 splitter on my Z06 that I'd definitely be installing the reinforcement!!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-15-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Have you exceeded 85 MPH with it on? Why do you believe no reinforcement is needed?

Yes, I have been well into the triple digits with the splitter on. It is held in place with 10 torque substaining steel nuts and bolts with washers to distribute the clamping load. The mounting of the splitter to the fascia is very rigid and secure. The splitter actually provdes additional rigidity to the lower part of the fascia. My engineering judgement is that I do not perceive the splitter detatching from the fascia due to loading force from air pressure at track speeds. Now, a loading force from a curb is another issue.

Again, I have the base C6, not the GS or Z06 which have a different fascia.

Last edited by calemasters; 12-15-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a picture from when Katech was testing their splitter on a Z06:

Of course they quickly realized the same thing that GM found out when testing the ZR1 - the splitter creates a lot of downforce, enough to distort the fascia so that the splitter will drag on the ground and get damaged.

Like calemasters said, the base C6 fascia is different from the Z06/GS/ZR1 fascia (they're all the same), and it may not deflect as much without an internal reinforcement.

The picture above was probably at a fairly high speed, but I'm sure there's a bit of distortion at regular highway speeds.

Bob
Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Z33 to a C6
Racer

Ok, I'm convinced. I'm going to play it safe and buy the reinforcement part too.
Cianci sells it for $160 something.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Here's a picture from when Katech was testing their splitter on a Z06:

Of course they quickly realized the same thing that GM found out when testing the ZR1 - the splitter creates a lot of downforce, enough to distort the fascia so that the splitter will drag on the ground and get damaged.

Like calemasters said, the base C6 fascia is different from the Z06/GS/ZR1 fascia (they're all the same), and it may not deflect as much without an internal reinforcement.

The picture above was probably at a fairly high speed, but I'm sure there's a bit of distortion at regular highway speeds.

Bob
I can't take credit for that. That was Lingenfelter's twin turbo Z06 going 200mph. Distortion is relative to downforce and downforce is exponential with speed, so the faster you go the more and more it's going to pull down on that fascia. We started to see deflection at 85mph in the wind tunnel.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 12-16-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I can't take credit for that. That was Lingenfelter's twin turbo Z06 going 200mph. Distortion relative to downforce and downforce is exponential with speed, so the faster you go the more and more it's going to pull down on that fascia. We started to see deflection at 85mph in the wind tunnel.
Aha - thanks for the info, Jason!!!

But....like you always say: Aero effects start at 1 mph!!

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Fascia Reinforcement Part for Splitter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fascia Reinforcement Part for Splitter