C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If your C6 has an orange mode door you may be looking at 2K's worth of trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If your C6 has an orange mode door you may be looking at 2K's worth of trouble

2005 C6 progressing HVAC problem with air direction, finally went kaput on passenger side, blowing hot air. Tony runs diagnostics and says it must be a mode door but can't be sure until he gets in there, but that entails dismantling the whole dash, removing the heater core etc and then replacing it. He orders the part and says the service diagram shows an orange door but he is hoping that the new one is a different color, it was and the original was indeed orange. The replacement looks like a better material and is gray.

So while Tony is in there, he finds that several screws holding the actuator motors are missing as is a large screw holding the vent to the cross bar, and the driver's side airvent, is broken and looks like someone has tried to glue it back together. So much for Chevy factory quality control. If Chevy QC is listening, I can give you the VIN.

Anyway, replacing all of the hard to get actuator motors, left the easy to get at one, and the new mode door, plus correcting all the factory problems little south of 2K$ Could have been more if didn't get deal on OEM parts, the stealership quoted somewhere between 2k to 3K.

Tony is a genius, everything went back in place better than it came out - But, this is the expected from Tony, whom I have know for more than 20 years.

So what did Tony find?

Old 11-21-2010, 02:02 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you buy your Vette new? I've never heard this one...
Old 11-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Did you buy your Vette new? I've never heard this one...
Bought used with ~26K miles - if you search HAVC problems you find some hints that this might be going on, "how to reset HVAC" and "condensation on front outside of windshield" Think that many are just living with it like I did until it completely failed.

When I bought it, ran a carfax and also had dealer run a search and no record of anyone working on it, was a lease so probably all work would have been done at a dealership. Don't know if sloppy factory assembly had anything to do with it or maybe the orange material? Have a sinking feeling, we may hear more.

Bottom line is now it is better than when I bought it.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:41 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Wilzer
Bought used with ~26K miles
My point was that I doubt this came this way (glued) from the Factory QC department. Could have been any number of reasons someone might have gotten in there and didn't get it back together correctly.

So much for Chevy factory quality control. If Chevy QC is listening, I can give you the VIN.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 11-21-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wilzer.....

I think, if YOU think about it for a second, your vehicle didn't come from the factory that way.

Going down an assembly line at maybe 10 cars an hour, why and how would the assembler install and/or repair the faulty part. It would be easier, faster, cheaper to grab a new one from the bin.

Even if the car was removed from the line, for repair, the easiest repair is to just grab a new part.

The quality control statement just does not make sense.

And having the dealer do a trace or a Carfax, is NOT a guarantee of reported work. I've had one of my vehicles in the dealer 3 times and in an independent body shop once. NONE OF THIS IS DISPLAYED ON ANY REPORTS. So, with this....

Your A/C was worked on by someone, IMO.

Now the other part concerns is a completely differeent consideration.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RnLi
Wilzer.....

I think, if YOU think about it for a second, your vehicle didn't come from the factory that way.

Going down an assembly line at maybe 10 cars an hour, why and how would the assembler install and/or repair the faulty part. It would be easier, faster, cheaper to grab a new one from the bin.

Even if the car was removed from the line, for repair, the easiest repair is to just grab a new part.

The quality control statement just does not make sense.

And having the dealer do a trace or a Carfax, is NOT a guarantee of reported work. I've had one of my vehicles in the dealer 3 times and in an independent body shop once. NONE OF THIS IS DISPLAYED ON ANY REPORTS. So, with this....

Your A/C was worked on by someone, IMO.

Now the other part concerns is a completely differeent consideration.

No need to take a unnecessary shot at GM or BG on this one. Whenever someone buys used it is always a gamble.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:36 PM
als2052
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Never Say Never

No need to take a unnecessary shot at GM or BG on this one. Whenever someone buys used it is always a gamble.
Then who do we blame for DBS, crazed headlights, flying roofs, defective wheels, differential noises and a whole host of "issues" we have had to put up with for the past 5+ years...and when you think what we all paid for our vehicles, its down right disappointing...
Old 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by als2052
Then who do we blame for DBS, crazed headlights, flying roofs, defective wheels, differential noises and a whole host of "issues" we have had to put up with for the past 5+ years...and when you think what we all paid for our vehicles, its down right disappointing...
Not QC at the factory...designers/engineers most likely.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:07 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Not QC at the factory...designers/engineers most likely.
The assembly line guys and gals are just following orders and using parts that are provided. In most cases the bean counters are the real problem.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
KP08
Advanced

Besides Designers and Engineers we shouldn't forget Suppliers !
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell your vette and buy a foreign car and then you won't have to worry about it. It is not about blame. Last I checked, GM fixed the roofs, headlights, dif noises etc..... If you can show me a perfect manufacturer, then you have found a truly unique thing
Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

You have a very valid point and nothing wrong with pointing the finger when quality control was poor in the past as we all know it was. However, those whom point the finger when things are bad should also be able to sing praise when it is due. The Corvette is now a world class car with the Bowling Green plant earning major quality awards from J.D. Powers along with the Corvette becoming a consumer reports recommended vehicle. Great strides have been made with quality and that should be recognized just as the poor quality was in the past.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:07 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds like you fixed a problem that the previous owner didn't fix right. The line doesn't have time to glue an internal part like that.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ch47d1sg
Sell your vette and buy a foreign car and then you won't have to worry about it. It is not about blame. Last I checked, GM fixed the roofs, headlights, dif noises etc..... If you can show me a perfect manufacturer, then you have found a truly unique thing

At least the Corvette and GM cars stop unlike the vehicles Toyota makes. Sadly, a foreign company blamed American's for a poorly designed vehicle even after they attempted a cover-up of the defects.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Before we get off on a less filling, taste great about US vs foreign cars debate, this about why did the mode door go bad a. bad factory job vs b. defective material vs c. $h*t happens. If you can buy a vette, you can spend $2K to fix it.

I have a hunch there are a lot of orange doors failing since mine went gradually and I could live with it, not noticeable with top off. Then it failed completely.

BTW, are Toyotas made in Mississippi or Tennessee. BMWs are made in South Carolina
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Sounds like you fixed a problem that the previous owner didn't fix right. The line doesn't have time to glue an internal part like that.

However, it is much easier to blame the plant or GM then the previous owner or bad used car purchase.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Tony who, where does he work?

Get notified of new replies

To If your C6 has an orange mode door you may be looking at 2K's worth of trouble

Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Never Say Never

However, it is much easier to blame the plant or GM then the previous owner or bad used car purchase.

Do >$50,000 cars usually need $2,000+ heater door repairs at 25k miles?

How does a previous owner cause a heater door ($2,000+ repair) to self-destruct at 25k miles?

Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Harley06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Why take a shot a GM?

you bought a used corvette that has some problems and you say it is GM...How does that make any sense?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Harley06
you bought a used corvette that has some problems and you say it is GM...How does that make any sense?

Closely read post #18 regarding mileage of vehilce and cost of car and think about it.

Quick Reply: If your C6 has an orange mode door you may be looking at 2K's worth of trouble