C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 6 CD changer to NAV possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding 6 CD changer to NAV possible?

If you have the U3U NAV is it possible to add the factory 6 disc trunk mounted cd changer?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've no expert in thse matters, but yes, I believe it is. I'm sure someone will chime in that has been down this road, but I pretty sure it can. I think you will need to buy a wiring harness and maybe a PAL. You need to contract Ray (screen name kawal) about this as I think he has the CD player hooked up.

My question is why not just hook up an ipod? You will have more music selections available and it will be cheaper.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Yes, you can, but it depends on the year. Send me an email or give me a call and I'd be happy to help you out with it.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 11-16-2010, 04:27 AM
cyber-vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
Yes, you can, but it depends on the year. Send me an email or give me a call and I'd be happy to help you out with it.

I just ordered a 2011 GS with U3U option. What parts will I need for the installation. Is the CD changer accessed from the NAV screen?

I added a OEM 12 disc CD Changer to my last 2002 Z06 and loved it.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 04:33 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber-vette
I just ordered a 2011 GS with U3U option. What parts will I need for the installation. Is the CD changer accessed from the NAV screen?

I added a OEM 12 disc CD Changer to my last 2002 Z06 and loved it.

Thanks
Yes, the CD changer is controlled with the NAV/Stereo touch screen. Call Gene at GM Parts House and he will set you up. His prices on GM parts are great!

Kent
Old 11-16-2010, 09:00 AM
cyber-vette
Racer

Originally Posted by lkelliott
Yes, the CD changer is controlled with the NAV/Stereo touch screen. Call Gene at GM Parts House and he will set you up. His prices on GM parts are great!

Kent
I am looking for a parts list. Does anyone know of a tech howto for the install?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Wildlife4u
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cd changer? He might be able to get your 8 track to work too! Cheaper and better in many ways to learn a new trick....IPOD! Simple and better.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:40 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's another thought - PAL?? Have a 2010 Silverado with a thumb drive/USB port and if you copy 600 or so MGEG's to the thumb drive, your good to go. Complete with artist and folder information. Haven't seen the PAL setup, but if it's anything like the above, you'll love it...........
Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

BTW, if you go for the CD changer, make sure you get one that does MPEG's - otherwise you'll be limited to a very few titles per CD.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

If someone has pictures of the CD Changer connection at the radio I would really like to see how it was done on a NAV.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildlife4u
Cd changer? He might be able to get your 8 track to work too! Cheaper and better in many ways to learn a new trick....IPOD! Simple and better.

Pal is your friend.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The kit comes with all the parts and working on the NAV is not necessary. Just plug it in over the rear drivers wheel well.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We considered the CD changer but skipped that and went directly to the PAL (with Kawal's harness) and iPod.

Great combination. Hundreds of (only) the songs we like, didn't lose cubby space in back.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber-vette
If you have the U3U NAV is it possible to add the factory 6 disc trunk mounted cd changer?
Yes.

The OEM changer is a nice setup if you already have a CD collection. It plays directly through the head unit. The CD button changes to CD/CDX for the head unit/changer so you wind up with 7 CD's available. Only the CD slot in the head unit plays mp3's, however. The changer plays about any kind of regular CD, store bought or otherwise.

Installation is simple electronically if you have XM; you merely tap into the XM harness. Note that the location on the XM tap location on the convertible is behind the waterfall, not on top of the wheel well. You never have to get at the head unit in the dash.

GM made two kits - one for coupes and the other for convertibles. The difference was the length of the harness, a longer harness being needed to reach the XM tap location on the convertible.

If you follow the GM instructions, installation of the bracket holding the changer can cause some brain damage because they want you to use some type of not overly common pop rivets to attach the changer bracket to the body inside the cubby hole. It can be easier to just use normal fasteners or simply velcro the changer in place. In any event, do a test fit, because if you merely center the changer the lid on the cubby hole might not close.

It is pretty much of a no-brainer install. The kit includes the changer, the magazine, the harness, the bracket for the changer, and some miscellaneous hardware.

The changer also works flawlessly with Ray Kawal's iPod harness, which attaches at the same location. Both harnesses by any other name are just splitters; you wind up with two splits instead of just one.

A setup with both the CD changer and the iPod PAL/aux let's you play just about anything you might have any way you might want to play it. I still use the changer for some favorite CD's so I don't have to make play lists and wade through hundreds of songs when I don't feel like it.

Note that both the CD changer and the iPod PAL have much better fidelity than the radio, which is another nice benefit.

Check with Gene to find out what the model year restrictions are. I have had the changers on 05, 06, & 08 cars. There have been no reliability issues and it is fun to have another set of controls activated on the head unit. The biggest drawback is the pricing for the kit.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 AM
cyber-vette
Racer

Thanks for posting the cd changer info. Since the car is a 2011 I need to find out if the same changer kit still works. The 2011 comes with factory installed USB and ipod connectors in the center console.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm currently researching the issue..GM lists the rear cd changer only as an accessory up through 08. I need it for 09. I have NO interest in an ipod hook up etc, nor a shade tree garage work around. Anyone know if the stock 05-08 factory system (truck mounted cd changer) will properly hook up and operate per factory instructions for the install? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Adding 6 CD changer to NAV possible?

Quick Reply: Adding 6 CD changer to NAV possible?