C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:28 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Given the choices I would go with the chrome, it gives the car a nice contrast and sets it off just a bit.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 AM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

chrome for me... looks best with jetstream blue
Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 AM
SilverGhost
Drifting

Received 886 Likes on 476 Posts

I think the $2,000 up charge... NOT a new addition to the car, not a rare Unobtanium Alloy that reduces unsprung weight by several hundred pounds, (But this option not a performance enhancer, JUST a few microns of chrome on a stock wheel), is the biggest of the big ripoffs in the Corvette Boutique.

I hated my 2007 Z06 chromes, still do on the 1 I kept; narrow fingers of chrome soo hard to clean. Gimme a moon disc of chrome instead of fancy geometric shapes anyday, one swipe and they are clean. (Best invention I ever saw: Mercedes brake dust shields on my Dad's cars, never got brake dust on the wheels!)

Would not have ordered a new set of chromes on a GS had I ordered one; but beggars can't be choosers, and since the GS was a dealer order, and dealers like their PYE, the Chrome GS wheels were on the car. The fact that the dealer sold it to me for $16k under msrp sorta negated my bias against the chromes

I DO like the GS Chromes, nice wide openings on the wheels, easy to clean.

Brake dust? Thing of the past, with Armor All wheel protectant just hose that dust right off. (In the olden days before AA, I thought that brake dust had welded itself to the Z06 chromes!)

On the Blade Silver, the chrome is a visual enhancement to the car, and I am happy to have them. pics at this thread:

Old 11-15-2010, 04:18 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvilin

Given the choices I would go with the chrome,
it gives the car a nice contrast and sets it off
just a bit.

Plus your wheels don't look like they're dirty all the time.

Chrome wheels on a black C6 should be mandatory.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Admittedly wheels are another one of those "personal preference" things.

For me the PYE chrome GS wheels were a must, just the right touch for an already outstanding appearing vehicle.

The brake dust really isn't that big a deal, a damp rag will wash it off straight away without any scratches.

Regards,

GSRANDY

Last edited by GSRANDY; 11-15-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:51 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you just looking to justify the 2K up charge for chrome? It's a matter of personal opinion for sure, but I would have paid more for the stock wheels over chrome on my car (TR GS). The stock wheels look really great on the actual car to me and now that I've been applying the Armor All Wheel Protect spray, they always look great with very little day-to-day care.

Just my opinion! Go to a dealer...check them all out side by side...get what you want!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 PM
Zache
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it really depends on the color you choose. if you choose cyber grey, get the grey rims. If you want a black car, I would get the cheapest option and then get after market rims in black. I have a Jetstream blue with chrome. I got the car from the dealer when they just came out last year, so i took what he had and ended up loving them. they do not look like cheesy chrome rims. they are very classy looking.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:06 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSRANDY

For me the PYE chrome GS wheels were a must, just the right touch for an already outstanding appearing vehicle.

The brake dust really isn't that big a deal, a damp rag will wash it off straight away without any scratches.

I have oem chrome wheels on my 08 base coupe.

I wax my wheels everytime I wash my car.

If you do that brake dust won't bond to
your wheels and cleaning them will
be easier.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Chrome Wheels