C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what's the point of gmpp

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 08:24 AM
08redvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning everyone, I bought my gmpp this week from dennis I bought the 48/32/$0 for $980 seems like a good price to me. besides my car has already had repairs under the 36/36 that cost more than $980 so yeah peace of mind, sounds right just my .02
Old 11-13-2010, 08:26 AM
vettnut69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
What's the point?

answer...Piece of mind.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 08redvette
Good morning everyone, I bought my gmpp this week from dennis I bought the 48/32/$0 for $980 seems like a good price to me. besides my car has already had repairs under the 36/36 that cost more than $980 so yeah peace of mind, sounds right just my .02
Great deal. $980.00 is a steal to protect your car for another 4 years, bumper to bumper

To those saying that the GMPP is a bad deal, you can't even get a decent set of new tires for one of these cars for $980.00 shipped and or tax, mounted and balanced.

So for less than the price of a set of tires, you have the car "insured" against mechanical or electrical failure, for the next 4 years and 32K miles. If you have to have a new motor, new tranny, new rear end, etc, you now have coverage.....for less than what you would pay for a set of tires.

And a set of tires, is not very likely to last you 4 years and 32,000 miles, before you would have had to have bought another set.

For what you just paid for your GMPP, to cover your car, bumper to bumper, for the next 4 years, some of us pay around what the GMPP cost, for a cold air intake.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...le-1-week.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...g-version.html

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Great deal. $980.00 is a steal to protect your car for another 4 years, bumper to bumper

To those saying that the GMPP is a bad deal, you can't even get a decent set of new tires for for one of these cars for $980.00 shipped and or tax, mounted and balanced. And a set of tires, is not very likely to last you 4 years before you would have had to have bought another set.

A Halltech with the Beehive will cost you around what you just paid to cover your car, bumper to bumper, for the next 4 years.
I beg to differ. I got a great set of tires for just over $800 shipped. Didn't pay a dime for mounting and balancing (I have a great relationship with my dealer). At any rate, $980 for a GMPP is a great deal.

Like I said before, buying a GMPP is a pure financial decision. Nothing wrong with not buying one and saving the money. Nothing wrong with buying one and having peace of mind. I am contemplating buying one.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08redvette
Gotta talk to Dennis
Old 11-13-2010, 09:23 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The GMPP is just another insurance policy. In my case, my 3yr/36000mile BtoB warranty runs out July 27, 2011. If I buy the 84 month GMPP today, then I have B to B coverage until Nov 13, 2017. So, I have to decide if ~$2,400 is worth paying for an additonal 6 years of coverage.

On the 5 yr/100,000 mile powertrain coverage, how many of us will put 100,000 miles on our Corvette? The 5 yr powertrain coverage is what matters, not the mileage. If I get the maximum coverage of 84 months then my coverage goes until Nov 2017, not July 2014 as it does now.

So, an additional six years B To B coverage and an additional three years of Powertrain coverage will cost me an extra~$40 a month for the next six years.

I don't plan on selling my 09 Z06 anytime soon, as I'm 68 years old and it will most likely be my last Corvette purchase. The additional coverage could be beneficial to me. After all, I've been paying for fire insurance on my home and have never had my house burn down, but I didn't know that when I built the place 20 years ago.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
I beg to differ. I got a great set of tires for just over $800 shipped. Didn't pay a dime for mounting and balancing (I have a great relationship with my dealer). At any rate, $980 for a GMPP is a great deal.[/b]
Absolutely, it's a great deal.

So we are looking at "just under" a $180.00 difference, for the brand tires you selected. What were they BTW????

I'd just say that not all of us have such a great relationship with our dealers.

Mounted, balanced, tax, disposal, and most of us, aren't going to get by for anywhere near $800.00.

If you have a grand sport or a Z06, both of which would cost around the same amount for the GMPP, $800.00 for a set of tires is going to be near impossible.

Finally, are you running GY runflats, or some other tire manufacturer's runflats for $800.00 a set?

If not, then there is your "insurance" when/if you should have a flat on a non runflat tire.

Pay AAA, or carry a compressor and goop, or plug kit, and hope that you can plug a tire, anytime and anywhere, you should need to if the goop doesn't do it, wait for someone to flatbed it.

Like I said before, buying a GMPP is a pure financial decision. Nothing wrong with not buying one and saving the money. Nothing wrong with buying one and having peace of mind. I am contemplating buying one.
Well Chemdawg, the money you just saved on a new set of GY or Michelin or other runflats for your car, which would have cost you about $1500.00, by spending just over $800.00 for whatever tires you bought, mounted and balanced, will go a long way towards covering that GMPP.

And for what you would be getting, sounds like an even bigger deal, than the deal you just got on those tires you bought for $800.00.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-13-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The GMPP is just another insurance policy. In my case, my 3yr/36000mile BtoB warranty runs out July 27, 2011. If I buy the 84 month GMPP today, then I have B to B coverage until Nov 13, 2017. So, I have to decide if ~$2,400 is worth paying for an additonal 6 years of coverage.

On the 5 yr/100,000 mile powertrain coverage, how many of us will put 100,000 miles on our Corvette? The 5 yr powertrain coverage is what matters, not the mileage. If I get the maximum coverage of 84 months then my coverage goes until Nov 2017, not July 2014 as it does now.

So, an additional six years B To B coverage and an additional three years of Powertrain coverage will cost me an extra~$40 a month for the next six years.

I don't plan on selling my 09 Z06 anytime soon, as I'm 68 years old and it will most likely be my last Corvette purchase. The additional coverage could be beneficial to me. After all, I've been paying for fire insurance on my home and have never had my house burn down, but I didn't know that when I built the place 20 years ago.
To let some in this thread tell it, you were a sucker for buying that fire insurance.

But yeah, if you are planning on keeping the car for a while, the fact that it's still under warranty would offer you the peace of mind of knowing that it was covered bumper to bumper, and if you decided to sell it, while still under the contract, it would be a more attractive sell.

And yeah, the time limit, tends to be more important than the mileage limit for many, as most of these cars aren't going to see 100,000 miles anyway.

What you do get is 36 months (or more if you bought a GMPP for longer than that) from the day you buy the contract, and however many miles the contract calls for, in addition to the mileage already on the car's odometer.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-13-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Everyone should keep in mind that the 3/36 warranty is bumper to bumper (mostly), the 5/100 warranty is powertrain only, and the GMPP Major Guard is most items but not bumper to bumper.

That makes comparisons a bit more difficult.

Dennis could give you some precise numbers, but when the powertrain warranty went from 3/36 to 5/100; the price of the GMPP went down considerably. But it did not become free. That tells us something about where GM thinks the warranty expenses are. My guess is that powertrain warranty work is not so common but usually expensive, the rest of the car warranty work is usually not as expensive but much more common.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:38 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Everyone should keep in mind that the 3/36 warranty is bumper to bumper (mostly), the 5/100 warranty is powertrain only, and the GMPP Major Guard is most items but not bumper to bumper.

That makes comparisons a bit more difficult.

Dennis could give you some precise numbers, but when the powertrain warranty went from 3/36 to 5/100; the price of the GMPP went down considerably. But it did not become free. That tells us something about where GM thinks the warranty expenses are. My guess is that powertrain warranty work is not so common but usually expensive, the rest of the car warranty work is usually not as expensive but much more common.
GMPP Major Guard, is bumper to bumper. Or more accurately, as close to bumper to bumper as you are going to ever have.

It effectively extends whatever was covered in your 3yr/36month. Plus gets you money towards a rental if you need it.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/majorguard.html

Non covered items are:

Maintenance services and parts
(refer to agreement)
Glass and lenses
Sealed beams and light bulbs
Tires
Non-GM installed components
Sheet metal
Bumpers
Body panels and parts
Hinges
Upholstery, carpeting and trim
Convertible or vinyl tops
Molding or bright metal

Air and water leaks
Odors
Wind noises
Squeaks and rattles
Weather-strips
Rust
Paint
Fuel contamination
Exhaust system/catalytic converter
Brake drums/rotors
Brake pads/shoes
Shock absorbers
Manual clutch disc
Spark plugs and wires
Batteries
Every other part is covered!

So typically, wear items are not covered, but they aren't covered in your original warranty either. BTW, a clutch, is a wear item for those who may not know.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-13-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Absolutely, it's a great deal.

So we are looking at "just under" a $180.00 difference, for the brand tires you selected. What were they BTW????
Check this out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ese-tires.html

Excellent tire thus far. They are non-run flats. I hate the GY Supercar EMTs. I have road side assistance with USAA and will be purchasing the ContiContact kit.

I'd just say that not all of us have such a great relationship with our dealers.
Bob Bell Chevrolet in Bel Air, MD. Bunch of great, great guys and gals. Never a problem or a worry when they have my car

BTW, I will be getting my GMPP from them as well.

Well Chemdawg, the money you just saved on a new set of GY or Michelin or other runflats for your car, which would have cost you about $1500.00, by spending just over $800.00 for whatever tires you bought, mounted and balanced, will go a long way towards covering that GMPP.

And for what you would be getting, sounds like an even bigger deal, than the deal you just got on those tires you bought for $800.00.

My sentiments exactly
Old 11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Check this out:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ese-tires.html

Excellent tire thus far. They are non-run flats. I hate the GY Supercar EMTs. I have road side assistance with USAA and will be purchasing the ContiContact kit.
Those were my sentiments.

Had the Conti kit running NT05s. Carried flares, and 3 different plug kits, needle nosed pliers, flashlight, screwdriver, as well.

Problem is, plugging a tire in the field, is not as easy as many think. It's also not as safe as some seem to think either.

Hooking up that conti kit in the dark, on a road with little to no shoulder on it, in unfamiliar territory, and waiting for the tire to inflate, may not be easy either.

Especially with your wife in the car, and if you are unarmed, when you have that flat tire and no spare, no cell phone service, and are looking at around an hour or more, for a flatbed to arrive, if you can get one.

My son and I plugged the tire on his Cobalt, after he ran over a piece of metal, and managed to pull into a parking lot off a busy road.

We then inflated it with the Conti kit in my Vette, using just air, w/o the goop.

But had this happened to my Vette, on the inside tread of the tire, and completely flat such that I could not roll the car to where I could even find the puncture, let alone get to the puncture without tearing up the tire and damaging one of my wheels, I shudder to think.

But all of this is another discussion about runflats, and non runflats isn't it, so I won't digress any further.

A sudden or rapid deflation, can be dangerous, or even fatal.

All are things you need not worry about with runflats, and I have since gone back to the GY runflats on my Z06 and won't go back to non runflats on it.

Furthermore, the GY runflats, are not the only runflats out there.

Bob Bell Chevrolet in Bel Air, MD. Bunch of great, great guys and gals. Never a problem or a worry when they have my car

BTW, I will be getting my GMPP from them as well.

My sentiments exactly
Money well spent.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-13-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

GMPP Major Guard, is bumper to bumper. Or more accurately, as close to bumper to bumper as you are going to ever have.

It effectively extends whatever was covered in your 3yr/36month. Plus gets you money towards a rental if you need it.

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/majorguard.html

Non covered items are:

Maintenance services and parts
(refer to agreement)
Glass and lenses
Sealed beams and light bulbs
Tires
Non-GM installed components
Sheet metal
Bumpers
Body panels and parts
Hinges
Upholstery, carpeting and trim
Convertible or vinyl tops
Molding or bright metal

Air and water leaks
Odors
Wind noises
Squeaks and rattles
Weather-strips
Rust
Paint

Fuel contamination
Exhaust system/catalytic converter
Brake drums/rotors
Brake pads/shoes
Shock absorbers
Manual clutch disc
Spark plugs and wires
Batteries
Every other part is covered!

So typically, wear items are not covered, but they aren't covered in your original warranty either. BTW, a clutch, is a wear item for those who may not know.
Although GMPP Major Guard is excellent coverage, the excluded items in bold are covered by the original BTB and can be very expensive to fix. Our C5 developed cracks in the transparent top at about 45k miles, not from abuse or improper cleaners, and GMPP did not cover it. That's something around a thousand dollars.

I think GMPP is a good idea, and have had it on all our Corvettes. But people shouldn't think it's the same as the original BTB, because it isn't.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Although GMPP Major Guard is excellent coverage, the excluded items in bold are covered by the original BTB and can be very expensive to fix. Our C5 developed cracks in the transparent top at about 45k miles, not from abuse or improper cleaners, and GMPP did not cover it. That's something around a thousand dollars.

I think GMPP is a good idea, and have had it on all our Corvettes. But people shouldn't think it's the same as the original BTB, because it isn't.
I had a lot of problems with my C5, so I purchased the GMPP, and glad I did.

Shorty after the GMPP expired, my passenger side window regulator stopped working. It cost $638, out of my pocket, for that one little item. It's the little stuff that nickels and dimes you to death. I wonder how much a new Z06 fuel pump costs including the 8 hours labor to R&R? That little item is covered under the GMPP B to B.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:18 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A sudden or rapid deflation, can be dangerous, or even fatal, things you need not worry about with runflats, and I have since gone back to the GY runflats on my Z06 and won't go back to non runflats on it. Furthermore, the GY runflats, are not the only runflats out there.
Wide tires tend to pick up everything on the road that can puncture them. Non runflats on a C6 is just asking for trouble.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:50 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Wide tires tend to pick up everything on the road that can puncture them. Non runflats on a C6 is just asking for trouble.
Have to agree with you.

After running non runflats, as I was driving on them, sometimes whenever I came onto a road with little shoulder on it, or two lane, or curved, I would ask myself to honestly answer if I could manage a flat tire under these conditions.

Would I be able to find enough room along the side of the road? Would I be able to make it to a parking lot on a low profile tire with no air in it?

An honest answer, too often would be "no".

It just got to the point to where whatever money I was saving, or whatever benefit I thought I was getting from the non runflats, just wasn't worth the risk for me.

That said, I understand that there are those who are very comfortable running with no spare and on non runflats.

Over the years, a few posts on the forum stand out to me.

This was one of them:

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I wonder where that guy is that I was following up a two mile long bridge here in Philly, the bridge was two lanes each way with no shoulder and a concrete 4 foot center abutment. I was ten cars back, This C5 was in the Right lane doing about five miles an hour.. no one would pas him because he was throwing sparks... so there was two lanes going south bound all doing five miles an hour...as I approached the top of the bridge I could see traffic was backed up for miles behind us..... I could still see sparks, it took about 20 minutes to traverse this bridge.... at the bottom was a C5 Mag red Vert. The front tire was gone the wheel was almost gone... the front fascia was destroyed as was the left front fender, the lower control arm and the rotor... it looked like 5/6000 dollars in damage, I stopped to offer help.. the guy with his GF or wife was on the phone..trying to get help.. He thanked me for stopping, and told me he just put the non run flat
Michelin Pilots sports on the car about a month before, and said he was pretty sure he made a big mistake.. he also said he was going to get rid of the non run flats as soon as possible..

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-13-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
What's the point?

answer...Piece of mind.
and...money saved. that $800 or so bucks is cheap compared to some of the repairs.

Get notified of new replies

To what's the point of gmpp

Old 11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Nothing

Unless something exensive breaks and you need it. I have found one major repair paid for my GMPP and I'm still covered.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Have to agree with you.

After running non runflats, as I was driving on them, sometimes whenever I came onto a road with little shoulder on it, or two lane, or curved, I would ask myself to honestly answer if I could manage a flat tire under these conditions.

Would I be able to find enough room along the side of the road? Would I be able to make it to a parking lot on a low profile tire with no air in it?

An honest answer, too often would be "no".

It just got to the point to where whatever money I was saving, or whatever benefit I thought I was getting from the non runflats, just wasn't worth the risk for me.

That said, I understand that there are those who are very comfortable running with no spare and on non runflats.

Well said!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

No, I never wondered. In fact, well I never really gave a crap how "we can afford to mod our cars", but always suspected that a large percentage, did so by maxing out credit cards.
You know what happens when you assume right? Some are smarter with $$ than others. You're showing me which you are.

Do you have fire insurance? Or any other types of insurance? How about car insurance? Why do you need it if you aren't very likely to have an accident or have your car stolen?
I have insurance because it's required by law. I am more than capable when it comes to the responsibility of insuring myself. I carry a wicked high deductible so my rates are very low and allow me to insure myself as much as possible.

So it must be a bad deal because they are selling them.

Well, Fichtner sold me mine, and I don't get the impression that he is in the business of selling bad deals.

Hmmm, Fichtner or "Drewstein", whom should I trust? One is selling a GMPP, and has offered this at a great price and as a service to hundreds of members on this forum, the other a load of :.

I think I'll stick with Fichtner, and the GMPP he is selling.
Glad you live in a world where fear rules. I bet you're willing to have everyone strip-searched before boarding a plane just so you can feel safe.

I prefer not to be ripped off and usually count the days to the end of the warranty so I can mod with impunity like on my '08 G8 GT.

Quick Reply: what's the point of gmpp