C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Panel Lens

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel Lens

I bought a used 2005 C6 several years ago and have enjoyed it ever since, despite having to deal with some "first year" flaws. One lingering problem that still bugs me, however, is the fact that the clear plastic lens over the instrument panel has some blemishes that look like they were caused by some type of solvent overspray (e.g., Armour-All, winndshield cleaner, whatever) by the original owner. Since the instrument panel is a one piece unit, I cannot simply just replace the plastic lens. Anyone have a suggestion on something that might restore the clarity of clear plastic? The cost of an entire new instrument panel is prohibitive.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:00 PM
fleetc
Pro

I have used a Walmart brand generic plastic polish to removed the same thing you describe on my old dodge dakota's dash. It worked fairly good, but you have to be consistent in your 'rubbing' for lack of a better word.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:57 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can try a very light polishing compound, it would be much better if you took the whole lens out and did it lying flat so you could see the results.

Or change the lens.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
mtrainer
Racer

I ruined my 2001 Toyota Solara instrument panel plastic the same way. I didn't realize there were over-spray cleaner shots that sat there for a couple of days, eating away at the plastic.

When I realized what happened I was sick about it, even went to the Totota dealer and they said that they replace the entire cluster as a unit...not just the plastic....so it was going to be a pricey fix.

So...it's still messed up.

I don't spray anything on the interior of my corvette because of this incident - just use the interior wipes they sell at auto-parts stores.

Mark
Old 11-05-2010, 09:03 PM
PeterSG
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20

I hope this is relevant to your C6:

On my purchased-new '99 C5, the lens got fogged over the first four years that I owned it. The dealer asked if I had ever used any ArmorAll or other cleaner on the lens. I had not.

Then I was told that this condition was a known problem and GM replaced it with no charge even after the warranty had expired.

Replacement was a quick job so it must be designed for relatively easy R&R. It may be similar on the C6.

Last edited by PeterSG; 11-05-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:06 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Meguiars plastic polish works great!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
mojoman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe it or not, so does toothpaste! Just put a little on a clean cloth and rub ever so softly. It should work, and make you smile too!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:33 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,218 Likes on 829 Posts

Mild cleaner car wax will make it disapear...Like Mothers carnuba..
Old 11-06-2010, 04:35 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

There is a product I have seen advertised for clearing up older headlight lenses, I'm sure you can google it, I wonder if that would work for you?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mr. Motion
I bought a used 2005 C6 several years ago and have enjoyed it ever since, despite having to deal with some "first year" flaws. One lingering problem that still bugs me, however, is the fact that the clear plastic lens over the instrument panel has some blemishes that look like they were caused by some type of solvent overspray (e.g., Armour-All, winndshield cleaner, whatever) by the original owner. Since the instrument panel is a one piece unit, I cannot simply just replace the plastic lens. Anyone have a suggestion on something that might restore the clarity of clear plastic? The cost of an entire new instrument panel is prohibitive.
YES SIR....they WILL certainly do it....I shipped my Camaro back from Europe and when I had it cleaned up in Greece there was overspray on the gauge lenses and it actually scarred them.....only thing I could do was replace them.....those cleaner.solvents by armor all is what did it....until then I was sold on the stuff...had used it since high school....not now....I'm definitely more choosy for my 'Z....

BTW...there are plastic polishes available now you can try to salvage it....

Last edited by tim414; 11-06-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd recommend your remove the cluster to polish the lens.
The book shows the lens goes all the way over the pod so this removal will give you a great chance to 100% repair.

On the C5, this lens was removable from the dash gage pod.
C6 manual did not show this as being removable...yet maybe it is.

I also note that because of construction (liquid in gages as I recall), one should try to keep the gage pod vertical while it is on the workbench...just like it sits in the car.

There is dust behind my lens that I'd like to clean.

Let us know if the lens is removable from the pod.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM
crakavelli
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Lens is removable, I have had the cluster out of the car before
Old 11-06-2010, 05:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Plexus works well on light marks and leaves protection. Otherwise Megs makes a two-step process that works well on plastic/plexiglass guage clusters.

http://www.autogeek.net/plexplasclea.html
or
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars1017.html

Get notified of new replies

To Instrument Panel Lens

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel Lens