C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drag Racing the A6

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Drag Racing the A6

I read somewhere that you can put the shifter in S and it will still shift auto, but at a higher RPM giving you a better time. Just want to verify this as I am taking my GS to the track tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:23 PM
kman0066
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as you do not touch the paddle shifters, yes, you can put it in S and not have to shift manually. And yes, it's supposed to shift more aggressive as I understand it in S rather than D.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:41 PM
rjmij
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't touch the paddles!
Old 11-05-2010, 12:51 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by rjmij
don't touch the paddles!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:38 PM
dads toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DEFINATELY. I posted my 3 trips to teh track in my2007 A6. In drive the tranny shifts at around 3500 rpm. In sport mod it shifts right after 6000 rpm. made a .5 second difference in ET's.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
TysonJones
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dads toy
DEFINATELY. I posted my 3 trips to teh track in my2007 A6. In drive the tranny shifts at around 3500 rpm. In sport mod it shifts right after 6000 rpm. made a .5 second difference in ET's.
lol im sorry but thats just completely false.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by dads toy
Our 2006 A6 and now 2009 A6, both shift right near redline whether the selector is in D or S.

If yours is shifting at around 3500 rpm under WOT, something is wrong.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our 2006 A6 and now 2009 A6, both shift right near redline whether the selector is in D or S.

If yours is shifting at around 3500 rpm under WOT, something is wrong.
At WOT something is very wrong.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:19 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TysonJones
lol im sorry but thats just completely false.
The A6 transmission is very tempermental if you don't get good traction off the launch so his statement is at least partially correct. What most likely happened is he spun out of the hole which will almost always cause it to short shift, but that's definitely not a general characteristic of D vs. S mode as I only ever run my car in D.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:42 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Agent White
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Big Jay E
I read somewhere that you can put the shifter in S and it will still shift auto, but at a higher RPM giving you a better time. Just want to verify this as I am taking my GS to the track tomorrow.

I'm running 11.9 with headers and vararam only on my 2010 Grand Sport A6. Here's what I'm doing:
1) turn off air conditioner
2) sport mode (no paddles)
3) turn off TC (leave AH on)
4) do short burnout to clean off your tires
5) don't forget to close your window
6) stage then brake and hold about 1200 rpm
7) launch after last yellow (takes practice)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

Originally Posted by Agent White
I'm running 11.9 with headers and vararam only on my 2010 Grand Sport A6. Here's what I'm doing:
1) turn off air conditioner
2) sport mode (no paddles)
3) turn off TC (leave AH on)
4) do short burnout to clean off your tires
5) don't forget to close your window
6) stage then brake and hold about 1200 rpm
7) launch after last yellow (takes practice)
With a stock converter, if you leave at just barely above idle you'll actually get a better 60ft time and ET.

The other thing that can help you reduce your ET by as much as a tenth (although it'd probably only be about a 1/2 tenth on a lightly modded car) is to stage as absolutely shallow as possible.

If you're not familiar with this, it involves pulling forward slowly until you trip the first bulb and then immediately stop. After this, bump the car forward a inch or two at a time until you just barely trip the second bulb.

The theory behind the idea is that you're actually getting a bit of a running start and when I did this with my friend's cammed 2007 last year, I ran a full tenth faster compared to the run he made in the car just 15 minutes prior.

Here's an example (it's the same pass shot from each side) of what shallow staging looks like in practice:

Old 11-05-2010, 05:30 PM
jmudreamvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
With a stock converter, if you leave at just barely above idle you'll actually get a better 60ft time and ET.

The other thing that can help you reduce your ET by as much as a tenth (although it'd probably only be about a 1/2 tenth on a lightly modded car) is to stage as absolutely shallow as possible.

If you're not familiar with this, it involves pulling forward slowly until you trip the first bulb and then immediately stop. After this, bump the car forward a inch or two at a time until you just barely trip the second bulb.

The theory behind the idea is that you're actually getting a bit of a running start and when I did this with my friend's cammed 2007 last year, I ran a full tenth faster compared to the run he made in the car just 15 minutes prior.

Here's an example (it's the same pass shot from each side) of what shallow staging looks like in practice:

Christopher is right about that. I do the same thing.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

OK....can I ask a rookie question here.....how do you do the run-up burn out with just the back tires? Doesn't engaging the brakes engage both the front and back brakes? Please excuse the rookie question (flame suit on!).
Old 11-05-2010, 05:49 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
OK....can I ask a rookie question here.....how do you do the run-up burn out with just the back tires? Doesn't engaging the brakes engage both the front and back brakes? Please excuse the rookie question (flame suit on!).
If you're using street tires you only want to punch the throttle briefly to clean them off and nothing more. Doing even a short burnout on street tires will make them slick and slow you down.

If you're using drag radials you need to punch the throttle hard and then immediately apply the brakes but without full pressure. The front brakes actually do most of the work so it's not overly difficult to find the happy medium of enough pressure to keep the car from rolling forward but not too much to stop the back wheels.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

OK. I will be going to Bakersfield tomorrow. Hoping for 12s at over 110 mph.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
b0xm0ns73r
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're using street tires you only want to punch the throttle briefly to clean them off and nothing more. Doing even a short burnout on street tires will make them slick and slow you down.
I didn't know that.....I am glad DigitalWidgets asked.
They say you learn something new everyday......well, that's true for today.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Racing the A6

Old 11-05-2010, 06:41 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

If you're using drag radials you need to punch the throttle hard and then immediately apply the brakes but without full pressure. The front brakes actually do most of the work so it's not overly difficult to find the happy medium of enough pressure to keep the car from rolling forward but not too much to stop the back wheels.
Interesting...I didn't know it was a balance....so I'm guessing it creates wear on the back brakes as well. Also makes me wonder about those idiots that wander around in front of cars doing burnouts (like the guy holding the camera in the smoking my old tires FAIL video I've seen here)....if the car is actually just balanced between power and brakes, seems like there's always the possibility of an inadvertent short launch.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

i just gotta say, watched both of your videos and thats bad ***!!!

Old 11-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
Interesting...I didn't know it was a balance....so I'm guessing it creates wear on the back brakes as well. Also makes me wonder about those idiots that wander around in front of cars doing burnouts (like the guy holding the camera in the smoking my old tires FAIL video I've seen here)....if the car is actually just balanced between power and brakes, seems like there's always the possibility of an inadvertent short launch.
If it is set up for mostly drag racing, it might have a Line Lock.

Quick Reply: Drag Racing the A6