C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dr Color Chip

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dr Color Chip

Any one ever use them?

I watched the videos on the website, he does a dark blue BMW and it appears that it blends the chips nicely.

He doesn't list Victory Red on his website for 2008 Corvettes - just Red.

Since the car will be tucked away for most of the winter, I figured now would be a good time to make the road rash disappear.

And I did a Search for them - nothing came up - and searched the Paint & Body forum as well.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Buy-Low
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ad on TV says the Wall Street Journal had them #1 in review.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:31 PM
Illinois427
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They've been discussed on here a few times. I have their kit for my arctic white 2008 and I'm happy with the results. It won't make everything completely disappear, but it is much better than using regular touch paint. The process is shown pretty well on their website. I don't know about the color match for your Victory Red, but I imagine you could email them and confirm that they have the match.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:52 PM
rwatch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be of help:
http://drcolorchip.com/select-color....ette&search=Go
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KBoltz
Any one ever use them?

I watched the videos on the website, he does a dark blue BMW and it appears that it blends the chips nicely.

He doesn't list Victory Red on his website for 2008 Corvettes - just Red.

Since the car will be tucked away for most of the winter, I figured now would be a good time to make the road rash disappear.

And I did a Search for them - nothing came up - and searched the Paint & Body forum as well.

Thanks,

Ken
On their website their is an "About Us" section with a "Contact Us" in the drop down menu. Fill out a contact form and ask them about your color.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Found it - it does match - the RPO Code for the paint is 74u - paint code is U9260 - they list it on their website as 74/wa9260 - they just call it red versus Victory Red.

Cool - thanks guys - 69 bucks later. It'll give me time to do it over the course of this winter here in BC.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:21 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been told that this stuff works well for chips but not so well for scratches. Anyone have experience? Somehow I got a couple of very fine scratches on my black coupe. No one notices, but I would like to get rid of them without spending a fortune.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
Found it - it does match - the RPO Code for the paint is 74u - paint code is U9260 - they list it on their website as 74/wa9260 - they just call it red versus Victory Red.

Cool - thanks guys - 69 bucks later. It'll give me time to do it over the course of this winter here in BC.
Let us know how it turned out
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by florida john
I have been told that this stuff works well for chips but not so well for scratches. Anyone have experience? Somehow I got a couple of very fine scratches on my black coupe. No one notices, but I would like to get rid of them without spending a fortune.
I've tried it and it is OK for nicks. I don't know of anything that will fill fine scratches in clear coat.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM
mikefili
Pro

I have been using their paints for years on many diff cars, it works great for chips and such, never tried it on a scratch, the trick is the reducer used after the paint, just fill the chip with the paint, try to overfill it a little and go past the edge of the chip, once the paint dries put the pink reducer on a microfiber cloth and gently start to clean off the paint, will not hurt the surrounding factory paint, just will gently remove the excess paint from the chip. if you do not like the repair just continue to wipe all the touch up paint off and start again.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:27 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I just use a little clear, touch up the scratch, and then knock it down with some 2000 grit wet paper, then buff and polish. the clear scratches will blend right in. My drivers mirror had a good size scratch in it from the previous owner, I touched up with some base black, and then cleared it. You would be hard pressed to find the repair.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Bill Soda
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefili
I have been using their paints for years on many diff cars, it works great for chips and such, never tried it on a scratch, the trick is the reducer used after the paint, just fill the chip with the paint, try to overfill it a little and go past the edge of the chip, once the paint dries put the pink reducer on a microfiber cloth and gently start to clean off the paint, will not hurt the surrounding factory paint, just will gently remove the excess paint from the chip. if you do not like the repair just continue to wipe all the touch up paint off and start again.
I use the reducer on a clean "tee" shirt. Use about a two thickness wrap of the shirt on a small plastic block to get a uniform height of the repair area to match original paint. Multiple application works best some time. Good product, no complaints
Old 10-25-2010, 09:40 PM
KFR-2008
Advanced

I used it on the wifes BMW about six months ago. Works well, you have to search hard to find where it fills in small chips. Ordered some for the CRM vert but hope I'll never have to use it.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:07 PM
jguay
Advanced

I've used it on my Magnetic Red 05 for minor scratches. It worked OK, better than regular touch up, but nothing like the ad shows. However, I've had better luck with a fine rubbing compound and multiple polishings once I got the scratch taken care of with the rubbing compound.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Originally Posted by kevakasper
I just use a little clear, touch up the scratch, and then knock it down with some 2000 grit wet paper, then buff and polish. the clear scratches will blend right in. My drivers mirror had a good size scratch in it from the previous owner, I touched up with some base black, and then cleared it. You would be hard pressed to find the repair.
I'd like to try that but I'm concerned about the clear coat being so thin that I will either go through it or make it so thin that the UV will dull it.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM
RLJ676
Instructor

How thick is it, would it work for a deep chip, more like a chunk? Like deep enough you see the fiberglass?
Old 10-26-2010, 07:19 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Originally Posted by RLJ676
How thick is it, would it work for a deep chip, more like a chunk? Like deep enough you see the fiberglass?
It's about the same as factory touch-up paint. Their claim to fame is the solvent they give you to smooth it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Dr Color Chip

Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Buy-Low
Ad on TV says the Wall Street Journal had them #1 in review.
No personal experience, but here's the WSJ info from a couple of years ago:

I bought a kit for my old Dodge truck....didn't use it and found my new Jeep has the same paint code. Cool.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:53 PM
Fireman03
Advanced

Doesn't work on scratches. I tried it on a couple and it just rubs off when you use the reducer.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireman03
Doesn't work on scratches. I tried it on a couple and it just rubs off when you use the reducer.
Unless your scratch is a deep one, this stuff just comes back off when you use the reducer.

Quick Reply: Dr Color Chip