C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone's rear hatch open on its own?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:43 AM
DropTopGal
Good Gals Drive It Hard
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone's rear hatch open on its own?

Hi guys...
Three times over the past few months, I found my parked Vette with the rear hatch open. It wasn't wide open, just unlatched as it would be if the fob was depressed to open it. Thing is, I never pressed the fob and was far away from the car. When I left the car, it was certainly closed and the alarm / security system self armed as usual.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts?

Thanks... DTG
Old 10-26-2010, 12:50 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, once in the last year, I cameback to my car to find the trunk was popped up. I figured I had hit the trunk open on the FOB. Maybe others will chime in.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:59 AM
DropTopGal
Good Gals Drive It Hard
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Yes, once in the last year, I cameback to my car to find the trunk was popped up. I figured I had hit the trunk open on the FOB. Maybe others will chime in.
That's what I thought, but the first two times, the fob was in my purse and not in contact with any other items (has it's own pocket within the purse). The last time, it was in my jeans front pocket (had no purse), but I do wear rather tight jeans. Hummm....
Old 10-26-2010, 01:01 AM
TeamYellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the hatch open fairly frequently when I am working on projects around the house. I keep the fob in my front pants pocket and when I kneel on one knee, the fob may get activated. I bought a silicone rubber fob cover recently but have not had it long enough to see if it stops the problem.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The hatch opening and alarm sounding happened so often while carrying the fob in my pocket that I did the fob mod. Just slightly leaning against something or bending over was enough to activate it.

This mod works for the '08+ fob. I don't know about the earlier one, but I can't imagine it's different.

Pop the fob open and put a piece of cellophane tape between the buttons you want to deactivate and the PC board. I blocked all of mine, so nothing can happen without me being next to the car.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

3 different C6s and 55,000 miles total, only had it to happen once. At the time, I had the fob in my front pocket with some other items and it happened about the time I was getting in the car, so I think it was an unintended press of the fob button.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Happened to me sometimes on our 2001 and 2006, every day with the "new and improved" fob on our 2009.

See my thread "Clicker Condom" for a cover that works.

Recently, I bought a fob jacket on line, and then cut a piece of semi-rigid plastic that slips inside it and covers the buttons. Punched 1/8" holes in the plastic over the buttons so I can push them with a ballpoint pen. Works great.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

DropTopGal,

Thoughts?
Don't know of any Air Force bases right near you but there have been problems like this in the vicinity of Eglin AFB over on the panhandle. Some people were upset that an airborne transmitter in test was accidentally opening their garage doors all the time. A lot of testing goes on down there in FL and it could be someone is transmitting with a sidelobe or skipping across radio frequencies that will trigger your hatch latch. Anyone around your neighborhood have similar problems? If so it needs to be reported to help the test guys out.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

FOB in pocket of tight jeans will pop the hatch getting in and out of the car! At least it's happened to me on more than one occasion.

U.M.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:46 PM
RAVEN007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Foxer55
DropTopGal,

Don't know of any Air Force bases right near you but there have been problems like this in the vicinity of Eglin AFB over on the panhandle. Some people were upset that an airborne transmitter in test was accidentally opening their garage doors all the time. A lot of testing goes on down there in FL and it could be someone is transmitting with a sidelobe or skipping across radio frequencies that will trigger your hatch latch. Anyone around your neighborhood have similar problems? If so it needs to be reported to help the test guys out.
They are testing IED jammers.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM
DropTopGal
Good Gals Drive It Hard
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't you just love this forum! So informative and helpful. Thanks guys.

I come to realize that when the rear hatch was unlatched with the fob in my purse, both times it was in my smaller LV evening carry purse (tight fitting inside). And wearing skin tight jeans with the fob in the front tiny pocket was most recent. That never happened to any other brand fob, so I presume the Corvette fob design makes it easy to unintentionally depress the buttons.

Later today I will ask my hubby to put tape inside the fob to prevent button activation, as that method would work best for me.

Thanks again for your replies on a simple, but annoying issue. DTG
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
johan gouws
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Puzzled me too. Eventually discovered it was the FOB in my pocket!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:45 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Has happened to me a couple of times, once while going down the interstate. I think the fob is being activated while in my pocket. My fob seems very sensitive. A couple of times while watching TV, my alarm has gone off just by me shifting my weight with the fob in my pocket.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by DropTopGal

I come to realize that when the rear hatch was unlatched with the fob in my purse, both times it was in my smaller LV evening carry purse (tight fitting inside). And wearing skin tight jeans with the fob in the front tiny pocket was most recent. That never happened to any other brand fob, so I presume the Corvette fob design makes it easy to unintentionally depress the buttons.

Later today I will ask my hubby to put tape inside the fob to prevent button activation, as that method would work best for me.

Good idea, if you disable the button, then you can do a good test and see if the trunk ever opens by itself again.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Now that I put you on to the tape cure, a pic of you in those skin tight jeans with a non-activating fob needs to be posted to verify the mod worked.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:23 AM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Now that I put you on to the tape cure, a pic of you in those skin tight jeans with a non-activating fob needs to be posted to verify the mod worked.
I second that one! No picture it didn't happen!

:-)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

went out to drive home from work one day and it was popped. kinda freaked me out to.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone's rear hatch open on its own?

Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
DropTopGal,

It's very possible and not just with the Air Force...electronic countermeasures are employed by virtually all Services...air, land and sea. More sophisticated thieves use electronic devices to gain access and control of vehicles. The amount of electronic traffic is phenomenal...virtually everyone and everything is transmitting. I know you don't think you accidentally pressed the fob button but the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. In the absence of an internal, mechanical problem with the car or accidentally pressing the fob button I'd guess your hatch was triggered by a spurious electronic signal.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:00 PM
DropTopGal
Good Gals Drive It Hard
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cclive
Good idea, if you disable the button, then you can do a good test and see if the trunk ever opens by itself again.
Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Originally Posted by rchbn
I second that one! No picture it didn't happen!

:-)
You guys are so predictable! I have several pics posted in my "member photos" here on CF, also on DC corvette babes, and elsewhere.

So far, so good... The tape surely deactivated the fob buttons. Time shall tell.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

You guys are so predictable! I have several pics posted in my "member photos" here on CF, also on DC corvette babes, and elsewhere.

So far, so good... The tape surely deactivated the fob buttons. Time shall tell.
Of course were predictable. Gals love verbal descriptions like "skin tight jeans", but guys are visual animals. Hefner would be broke without pics.

BTW, glad to help with the tape mod that was posted here by ? a couple years ago.

Quick Reply: Anyone's rear hatch open on its own?