C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of trading in my '08 in the spring... need help maybe CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Moonray13
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"NO... when people see my baby... they usually compliment the hell out of her"

Well, that's good, I guess. I think it looks like a Lego.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:45 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonray13
"NO... when people see my baby... they usually compliment the hell out of her"

Well, that's good, I guess. I think it looks like a Lego.
To each his own.. but I think it and all all the current Art and Science Cadillacs look better than any luxo vehicles coming out of Germany and Japan

OH.. and to the OP. If U can wait till next year and want something a lil more luxo and as large as the S-Class... this is the STS replacement the XTS

Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
I'd much rather have the slim trim shapely sexy more athletic and better looking C6.
You mean Z06 right? If your talking about a LIGHT WEIGHT C6 I mean.

Tom
Old 10-29-2010, 01:49 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Why wait till spring? You can get the V for invoice or less right now. The V is a GREAT car, best grand tourer I've driven. That doesn't mean I'll give up my 572 rwhp Z06, but it's a hard choice when I grab a set of keys.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:04 PM
BobJ
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I concur with what others have said about BMW reliability. My boss paid over $60k for a 2007 X5 4.8 AWD, thing was a total piece of crap. The throttle response was terrible in it, AC went out, some sensor went out the week he got it that controlled the AWD and it sat at the dealership for 21 days.

Then.....they include the maintenance for 4/48 but they wouldn't change the oil for the first time until SIXTEEN THOUSAND miles and if he wanted it sooner he had to pay. Since this is offered on all beemers (at least since 2007) I would be very leery about buying a used beemer and I never buy cars new.

Oh, pretty sure HulksDaddy has already started the mod-fest on his V.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:25 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cmicasa
NO... when people see my baby... they usually compliment the hell out of her

That is a good looking car!! Forget what others say, some on here don't like anything thats not a C6. And for some reason feel they need to rude about it as well!

The new CTS coupe is one car I'm very interested in, possibly as my next car. Sometimes you not only want a "new" car, but you want something different as well. May regret it, but maybe not. I know come this spring I'm almost definitly getting a new car, and unless the 2012 C6 has some real changes to it, I'll be getting something else. The C6 is a great car, I love mine, drive it every day. But, when you do drive the same car every day for 3-4 years, you start to want something different in the next car. But, that is a few months away, have time to pick something else, or change my mind and keep what I have.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:56 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Originally Posted by BriscoCounty
That is a good looking car!! Forget what others say, some on here don't like anything thats not a C6. And for some reason feel they need to rude about it as well!

The new CTS coupe is one car I'm very interested in, possibly as my next car. Sometimes you not only want a "new" car, but you want something different as well. May regret it, but maybe not. I know come this spring I'm almost definitly getting a new car, and unless the 2012 C6 has some real changes to it, I'll be getting something else. The C6 is a great car, I love mine, drive it every day. But, when you do drive the same car every day for 3-4 years, you start to want something different in the next car. But, that is a few months away, have time to pick something else, or change my mind and keep what I have.

Hey thanx, and t be honest I seriously can figure out why there would be any issue with a car like the V. It was engineered by the exact same people that did the Vette.. it has damn near the same engine as the KING Vette.. not to mention the same track tested suspension etc. As long as my cars are GM.. or some Fords I'm good to go.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

If you feel that you want to get out of the Corvette maybe the CTS-V Coupe would scratch the itch.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the replies!!

I actually really do like the look. The harder lines make it look so much better than the BMWs in my opinion.

My only issue with the V is that the nearest Caddy dealer to me is over an hour away. Not an issue for the test drive and purchase, but can any GM service center handle these? Or am I stuck with dealing directly with cadillac for routine service?

I've been screwed by this before. We had an Acura that we bought from the closest dealer 1 hour away. We could have minimal service from the local Honda dealer, but they wouldn't do any warranty work on it. That got old very fast.

Do the ice radials really make it handle OK in the winter? That is a huge plus because one of the reasons to look at the 550x is for the all year drivability.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:27 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never been a Caddy fan but the v is so impressive. I haven't driven one but just WOW at the numbers. My ex-stepfather owned a Lexus dealership so I had always looked at caddy's as GM's weak effort to try to compare to BMW, MB, and Lexus. I still don't like the looks of the v but if I needed a 4 door sedan it would be at the top of my list if I only could have one car. If I could still keep my vette and have a sedan I would go S550 or LS600h. I mean if you want a lexus to perform like that (stock) you need $375k.

EDIT:was just writing this with my girlfriend in the room and she said GM should throw that engine in the new Buick Lacrosse (Its bad when your 20 something girl drools over my grandparents new car as much as she does my vette, LOL).

Last edited by gunterwalker; 10-29-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I had a 08 Z06 and modded it up, it handled great, then bought my wife a CTS-V, this car is can not really match the Z06 in performance, but it shines in the comfort department, fit and finnish ir a notch or two above, much less road noise. GPS is far better in the V.
All that said, I tradded my Z06 in for a ZR1, now everyone realizes there is a performance jump big time, so i'm not going down that road. But the reduced road noise over the Z06 is very noticable, really the ZR1 is much more refined in every way, really closes the gap in that respect between the two. GPS in ZR1 still sucks.
Here's the deal, back when I had the Z06, if times got hard and I had to sell one, I would have kept the V and let the Z06 go, no question. Now, I would keep the ZR1 and let the V go.
Thats just me, others may feel diffrent.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:25 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
You going to mod the V?
Originally Posted by STEVE MC
Congrats Dave
I knew you were getting the V but I didn't know you were trading your Z in for it. All in all, still a bad azz ride.

So like Buzz said, "you gonna mod it"?
Hey Buzz, Steve

Not sure what I'm going to do. Enjoy it stock for awhile, then see what kinda itch I need to scratch.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:32 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Operations
I had a 08 Z06 and modded it up, it handled great, then bought my wife a CTS-V, this car is can not really match the Z06 in performance, but it shines in the comfort department, fit and finnish ir a notch or two above, much less road noise. GPS is far better in the V.
All that said, I tradded my Z06 in for a ZR1, now everyone realizes there is a performance jump big time, so i'm not going down that road. But the reduced road noise over the Z06 is very noticable, really the ZR1 is much more refined in every way, really closes the gap in that respect between the two. GPS in ZR1 still sucks.
Here's the deal, back when I had the Z06, if times got hard and I had to sell one, I would have kept the V and let the Z06 go, no question. Now, I would keep the ZR1 and let the V go.
Thats just me, others may feel diffrent.
This is probably entirely due to the ZR1's tires. GY Supercar runflats are NOISY.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:26 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
This is probably entirely due to the ZR1's tires. GY Supercar runflats are NOISY.
I will agree the Michelin's are much quieter tire, but I put Michelin's on my Z06 aswell.
So that not all of it. I replaced the shifter on both cars and the ZR1 had factory sound deading materal under the console the Z06 did not have.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Operations
I will agree the Michelin's are much quieter tire, but I put Michelin's on my Z06 aswell.
So that not all of it. I replaced the shifter on both cars and the ZR1 had factory sound deading materal under the console the Z06 did not have.
That's cool. Wonder it they added more all over?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
That's cool. Wonder it they added more all over?
I really think that is the case.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Max EPR
Racer

How about a nice 1960 Austin Healy Sprite?

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking of trading in my '08 in the spring... need help maybe CTS-V?

Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have had a Corvette since 1972. I still do. I have an 09 JSB Coupe. My DD is a Traverse. I have been looking at the new CTS V 2 dr. I have only seen pictures so far But I like the ease of getting in and out on the regular 2 drs. I also like the power and the fact that its available with the automatic. The fact that the ZR1 is not offered with an automatic has irked me since the ZR1 came out. The fact the Cadillac also offers a 4 yr 50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty is a plus also. I dont know if I will actually do it but I like what I have seen so far.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
m3amg43
Instructor

CTS V is a monster just like the vette.... 530xi is more of a family car though. YOu should sell the truck and get a 530xi, and just keep the vette
Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
cmicasa
Drifting

Originally Posted by gunterwalker
I've never been a Caddy fan but the v is so impressive. I haven't driven one but just WOW at the numbers. My ex-stepfather owned a Lexus dealership so I had always looked at caddy's as GM's weak effort to try to compare to BMW, MB, and Lexus. I still don't like the looks of the v but if I needed a 4 door sedan it would be at the top of my list if I only could have one car. If I could still keep my vette and have a sedan I would go S550 or LS600h. I mean if you want a lexus to perform like that (stock) you need $375k.

EDIT:was just writing this with my girlfriend in the room and she said GM should throw that engine in the new Buick Lacrosse (Its bad when your 20 something girl drools over my grandparents new car as much as she does my vette, LOL).
The NEW Lacrosse is a Sweet *** car... Your grand-parents have a helluva ride... I almost bought it for my DD as opposed to my Camaro RS.

And If I had to choose between the Lexus LS and the Benz S.. the Germans would get my money in a heartbeat. I simply don't wanna have a JAPANESE product in my driveway.. it make me feel sick. THANK GOD Cadillac is offering better performance and comparable luxo to the Germans now.... My replacement for my V will be either the next CTS-V or that XTS Platinum I posted above.

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading in my '08 in the spring... need help maybe CTS-V?