C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
important
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

May I suggest a Corvette posse?

10 to 20 individuals who can be called upon in a moment's notice. We would arrive at the dealership prior to the key being handed over. 1 person (selected at random) would actually be in the passenger seat during the entire visit.

Another 4 member team would follow the car to ensure the car's safety: no damage to the seat's bolster, no aggressive driving, witnesses to document any scratches or chips; just to prevent any overall stupidity.

The remaining individuals would be strategically located throughout the dealership: stationed at the service area, or directly outside of the garage, and possibly guarding the showroom should a Corvette arrive that is of interest.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm right there with you guys as well-a bit **** about bringing the car in and have experienced many of the incidents described in this post. My black is even more subject to receiving marks (at least obvious) than other colors so I definitely check it out before driving off. My biggest concerns are the car jockey pulling ahead too far and scraping the nose on a concrete parking stop depending where they park it after completion and shoe marks on the door panels. I also love it when they use a dirty shop rag to wipe off fingerprints on the hood/doors! I try to wait for it whenever possible to minimize the time it's parked in the 'completed' area. Some dealers do treat the 'Vettes better than other vehicles, but certainly not all!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

The only thing I hate is the actual taking and scheduling my time to get it down there and picking it up again, the rest I don't sweat at all.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:54 PM
gtovett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My positive and negative experiences at dealerships have been just about 50/50.

At the last dealer I went to, the front desk service rep was an a$$ to me initially. He was reluctant to do the walkaround, did everything very slowly and was barely helpful. His tune changed quite a bit after inspection of the car (Its an 06 and is now 5 years old) where he found everything to be practically perfect (which I have given much care to maintain).

After they did the recall fix procedure his tone and demeanor was 100% different. He was very nice, respectful, and cordial. (Even opened the door of the car) Best part, in my book, was that He questioned whether the car was an 2006 or a 2011 after he saw the undercarriage (which is very clean). Made my day!

It's a little sad that he wasn't cordial and respectful of myself and the car from the very beginning of my visit but I'm glad that he changed his tune.

This latest experience just proves my 50/50 split of dealership experiences.

We'll see how things go when I take it in for the 4th trip about the roof problem. Have to go to a new dealer this time.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
The only thing I hate is the actual taking and scheduling my time to get it down there and picking it up again, the rest I don't sweat at all.
This is exactly how I feel. I hate all the crap that goes with putting the car in the shop but I don't worry one bit about it being there. I'm really not **** about any of my "toys". Not worth getting an ulcer over thats for sure.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
purvistechie
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
I'm guessing that they roll out the red carpet for the Ferrari. I'll bet that's quite a service experience. $$$$$$$$$
Old 10-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Ghost 23
Pro

Received 291 Likes on 119 Posts

No, you are not alone!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by NoXcape
Honestly..the only dealership I like is the service from Lexus. I love taking my wife's truck in. But I'm the same way

Your wife has a Lexus truck?
Old 10-21-2010, 04:02 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

I absolutely refuse to bring my car to my selling dealership for ANY kind of service. If I can't do the work myself I'll take the 4 hr round trip ride to a Va.Beach Dealership.
The last time I was there was for the rear end fluid change to stop the noise. I did a walk around with the service writer.....anyway it's on a previous post....Enough said I am done with my local dealership
Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to arrange my schedule so that I can remain with my ride at the stealership.
You never want to give the tech an opportunity to take your vette for a joy ride.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cringe .....your not alone...sad but the truth
Old 10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Your wife has a Lexus truck?
Maybe hes talking about the Floyota Tundra ?

Cause I know damn well lexus aint build no truck, please dont tell me the GX or whatver its called is a truck
Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StanNH
I have a small local dealer who treats my Vette with care. I know the techs and the sales staff, and they always ask about how well my car was taken care of.

I have no issues or concerns taking my car in for service, but I do have a dealer I trust with my car. Unfortunately, that's not the case with every Vette owner.

I made it a point to know my tech's, take them to lunch & a good bottle of booze at xmass. They go out of thier way to take care of all my cars.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:49 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one time I took my car to the local dealer for a warranty repair, I got my rocker panel cracked and caught the mechanic taking it out (after giving explicit instruction that it not leave the shop) and blasting down the street while I was in the waiting room!
After some choice words and nearly going over the service counter to manually adjust the attitude of the service manager, I decided it wasn't worth the trouble to ever visit those a-holes again. I bought a Helms manual.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They hate me any place I take my vehicles to. I generally watch them all like a hawk.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:18 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonJoel
To the OP: Does the state of VA license non-dealer independent shops to perform sniff tests? If so, why not take it to one of those shops instead of a GM dealer?
I honestly dont know. I was comfortable going to Moore Cadillac, it is just that I am a but anxious about leaving my baby. Your point of a independent shop is well taken, though!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:23 AM
nch209
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rck329
oh man, I am right there with you... it's pretty much a bonafide phobia/disorder!

When I bought mine (used) from a dealer, we were closing the deal and the saleman said "I'll have them get it washed up for you..." And I was like, "no, no, don't worry about that, it's fine" Thinking to myself "yeah, I don't want your crummy wash mitts scratching the **** out of it anymore!"

The wife thinks I should get some help... I said, you're right, I'm going to talk to the guys on the corvette forum.

My car came from a dealer (used), and when we were doing the paperwork he stated- "I assume you DO NOT want us to wash it?" I was like that's right! Hmmmm, a black car that never was in the rain, and washed a handful of times... sure, scratch it to hell buddy!!! LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 AM
jwreed50
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey nch209 -- You're in Chantilly . . . you might want to check out Koons Chevrolet in Tysons. That's where I've taken my 2010 for the VA inspection and its first oil change, and so far I haven't had any problems. I also see lots of other Vettes there, which is a good sign.

Koons has a couple of techs who specialize in Vettes and they have a lift that raises the car by the tires, not the body/frame, so you don't need to worry about cracked underbody sills when you get an oil change.

They also seem to understand the anxiety most of us have about taking the Vette into a shop . . . so far, they've let me come into the service bay to watch what they're doing.

Last edited by jwreed50; 10-22-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:01 AM
vettnut69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any horror stories (yet) but hate dropping ANY of our new cars off at any dealer..
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I do. I usually give the tech a little something for lunch and tell him please treat the car as though it was his. It helps.

When I had the handles changed on the roof, I brought a blanket with me. All I could think about was the top, painted side down, on a dirty workbench.

I gave the blanket to the tech and did what I wrote above. As I was waiting for the car the tech came out and showed me the top on the blanket. I thanked him and went back and sat down. Got the car about 20 minutes later without even a fingerprint on the roof.

I had a different dealer crack my rocker panels and that was with jacking pucks. The only problem was they didn't use them. I had a feeling and decided to check on the car. I walked right into the service bay and there was the car on the lift with the pad on the panel. I still wonder till today if I didn't catch them in the act I would have gotten screwed. "We didn't do that". I wanted to tell the tech give me my tip money back.

Now I change it myself.

Yea it certainly can be a pain the a**. I just pray she holds up and never has to see the dealer

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 10-22-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Hate Dropping the car at the dealer!!!