C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yikes! Car Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Brian Buck
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yikes! Car Won't Start

Tried to start my 2005 M6 this morning and it had plenty of juice, (lights and accessories work fine) but when I pressed the starter button . . nothing happens. Although I've never had any problems with DBS, I put the battery on the charger for a few hours to top it up. As before there was plenty of battery power for lights and accessories. Tried to start it again . . . nothing doing. I put the parking brake on, gear shift in neutral, and depressed the clutch as usual, but no starter action. Any ideas? Thanks much.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:14 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did the dic say?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
What did the dic say?
This will tell us whether the fob is being recognized or not. And also the car battery may be damaged and show only a surface charge which will light everything up but not be able to push a 200 to 400 amp load at the starter.

Also, did you try the fob in the slot?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:48 PM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Buck
Tried to start my 2005 M6 this morning and it had plenty of juice, (lights and accessories work fine) but when I pressed the starter button . . nothing happens. Although I've never had any problems with DBS, I put the battery on the charger for a few hours to top it up. As before there was plenty of battery power for lights and accessories. Tried to start it again . . . nothing doing. I put the parking brake on, gear shift in neutral, and depressed the clutch as usual, but no starter action. Any ideas? Thanks much.

Is the battery original?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 AM
satans csex
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the battery if everything else works and is strong as he says. Could be a bad starter. Check the battery Voltage and if voltage is 11V+ that should be plenty to start. Try raising the car up and lower it down on jack stand have someone sit in the car and try starting it while you bang on the started with the wood end of any hammer. Try it gently first and later heavy up the hits a bit, Obviously dont try breaking it Let us know once you have tried this
Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, there's a switch that requires the clutch to be fully depressed. Maybe the switch isn't making contact.

I have an automatic, so haven't seen the switch. But I'm guessing it's easy to check.

I looked in the manual for a starter fuse/relay but didn't see one (unless it's the RUN CRNK fuse)... might be worth a look.

If the battery is original, get a new one.

Hopefully it's something simple. Let us know what happens.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to take the battery out of the car and take it to be load tested. The batteries these days only last a couple of years and they are shot. My 09 Vert just turned two years old and the Delco battery went south. I had it load tested and the battery had a bad cell. Yep, the lights worked and the radio played but it wouldn't start the car!

Kent
Old 10-21-2010, 10:25 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Isn't there an option that prevents the "No FOB" message from appearing. If that is set, then it could be the FOB battery and one might not know it.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 AM
cclive
Team Owner

If the operator tries to start the car and the fob is not recognized, the DIC will say "no fob detected"...there is no programming option to stop this.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cclive
If the operator tries to start the car and the fob is not recognized, the DIC will say "no fob detected"...there is no programming option to stop this.
Perhaps on your C6, but not on my wife's 2005 coupe with NAV - she was just backing out of the garage and I asked her to step through the options. I didn't check the ZR1 but I seem to recall that it was there also.

It says FOB Reminder <yes or no>......
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
Perhaps on your C6, but not on my wife's 2005 coupe with NAV - she was just backing out of the garage and I asked her to step through the options. I didn't check the ZR1 but I seem to recall that it was there also.

It says FOB Reminder <yes or no>......
The Fob reminder is if you exit the car and leave the fob in the vehicle it will sound the horn 3 times, if you select yes.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You may have a point there, but that's not how it works in reality, at least it's a bit more sophisticated than that. If I get into either the coupe or the Z without the FOB in my pocket, there will be no display on the DIC if the option is set to "No". Try it.

Perception is everything
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pcguy2u
You may have a point there, but that's not how it works in reality, at least it's a bit more sophisticated than that. If I get into either the coupe or the Z without the FOB in my pocket, there will be no display on the DIC if the option is set to "No". Try it.

Perception is everything
You are correct...but I said "if you try to start the car"...not just getting in the car. Getting into the car does not initiate an event that would cause the car to check for a fob...pushing the start button does.

I'm thinking that maybe facts are more important than perception sometimes...

Last edited by cclive; 10-21-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:27 PM
TBonez
2005 Beast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you push the start button does it do a clicking sound or just nothing at all?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:29 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

You are correct...but I said "if you try to start the car"...not just getting in the car. Getting into the car does not initiate an event that would cause the car to check for a fob...pushing the start button does.
Isn't this thread about the OP's vette not starting and the possible causes? I kind of thought the OP was at least pressing the "start" button and therefore was assumed that we're all talking about that problem and why it might be happening.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm thinking that maybe facts are more important than perception sometimes...
One more time on this, if the option is set to "NO", if you get into the car without the FOB, if you then push the start button, there will be no DIC display about the FOB not being detected. Are we in agreement on this?
Old 10-21-2010, 12:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

No, if you get in the car without a fob, and push the start button, the DIC will always say "no fob detected"...there is no programming option that has anything to do with this. This assumes the car is working right. Obviously if the battery is completely dead, then the DIC isn't ever going to say anything.

Get notified of new replies

To Yikes! Car Won't Start

Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

No, if you get in the car without a fob, and push the start button, the DIC will always say "no fob detected"...there is no programming option that has anything to do with this. This assumes the car is working right. Obviously if the battery is completely dead, then the DIC isn't ever going to say anything.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:48 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
The Fob reminder is if you exit the car and leave the fob in the vehicle it will sound the horn 3 times, if you select yes.
This is correct, the programming option refers to the leaving of a fob inside the car when leaving, it has nothing to do with DIC messages...it honks the horn.

Here is the text from the 2005 manual, page 3-72:

FOB Reminder: This option chirps the horn three times
when the driver’s door is closed and there is a keyless
access transmitter inside the interior of the vehicle. This
will only occur when the vehicle is off.
Press the OPTION button until FOB REMINDER
appears on the display, then press the RESET button to
scroll through the following modes:
• YES
• NO (default)
If you choose YES, the horn will chirp three times when
a keyless access transmitter is inside of the vehicle
while the ignition is turned off and the driver’s door is
closed.
If you choose NO, this option will turn off.
When the mode you want is selected, press the
OPTION button to set your choice and advance to the
next personal option.

Last edited by cclive; 10-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:04 PM
tlcj
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe try this. Open hood and measure voltage across battery. Should be above 12V DC. Harbor freight has a volt meter for like $3. Check battery connections. Have someone get into car with fob and press start. Does the battery voltage drop? If so, I would think a new battery and test again. You could also remove the battery and have it load tested at most auto parts stores. You could also put fob in glove compartment slot and try again. I agree that if the fob battery was bad you would see no fob detected. Now for the starter circuit. Clutch switch on manual and brake switch on auto is possible. Ignition switch. Starter relay? In the regular working circuit, when you press the button the battery will drop below 12V while it is cranking the car and providing lots of current. In your case the starter is not engaging and we are just trying to determine what if anything is happening when you press the switch.

Quick Reply: Yikes! Car Won't Start