C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beware of Road Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beware of Road Wrap

Beware of Road Wrap. This is the clear self-adhering 2.5 mil plastic wrap (non-permanent) that is marketed to apply directly over the front of your vehicle to protect the finish while traveling. I applied it over the front of my Vette last week for my sixty miles trip to a car show. I extended the wrap over my headlights (C-6) to protect them also.

Upon arrival to the car show, I removed the wrap and to my surprise it took a thin layer of sealant or protective coating off the surface of my right headlight’s lens cover. It did not remove the lens coating totally, but in random patches. This was very noticeable leaving the surface of the light lens splotchy. The protective coating that it removed was approximately 1 mil in thickens and could be felt with the finger nail. Where the coating was removed, it left a dull haze on the surface of the lens.

This coating that was removed was super hard and I tried a number of things (alcohol, Goop, plastic polish/clear with abrasives, rubbing compound) to remove it with no luck. I ended up having to use aluminum tape (with super strong adhesive) to stick on lens over the remaining coating to remove it. This was a lengthly process which took over and hour to remove 99 percent of the coating. Once the coating was removed, I took my Flex and started with medium cut polish and worked my way up through mild cut and finished it off with headlight lens polish/restorer. I spent a total of between 3 and 4 hours to restore my headlight lens to an acceptable finish.

I thought that I would pass this information along so others well not make the same mistake that I did. I now have serious concerns about this wrap and will never use it again as I’m not sure that it may also damage the paint finish.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

horrible! from what I've read here, do you think your lenses will last with what you've done?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you have the headlights on? Heat from the lights may have melted the plastic onto the lens. (???)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Wow, sorry for your trouble. I was thinking of using that when I go to Florida this winter. What do the instructions say about using on Headlights? How did it work on the painted surface?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

Thanks for the heads up.... I have used Road Wrap several times with great results, even on a 1800 mile trip... I never put it over the lights...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyasix
Upon arrival to the car show, I removed the wrap and to my surprise it took a thin layer of sealant or protective coating off the surface of my right headlight’s lens cover.
our headlights have sealant/protective coating on them??? since when?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:59 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
our headlights have sealant/protective coating on them??? since when?
Since always. It is a UV protectant to keep them from turning yellow. This is why you can not just buff out small scratches.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster
Did you have the headlights on? Heat from the lights may have melted the plastic onto the lens. (???)
Good catch here Luster...........
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry you had this happen. I've seen this advertised and wondered if it worked or not.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 PM
Glen220
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I Hate Road Wrap!!!

Too bad you didn't do a search before you bought it. I had posted earlier this year about how Road Wrap is crap!

I tried to use it on a trip to the Museum for the C5/C6 Bash, but within 100 miles it came loose and was beating against the car (yes I applied it correctly and overlapped it too). I stopped and reaffixed it, but within a few more miles came loose again.

I then noticed that it was actually cutting into the clearcoat so I quickly removed it.

I had to buff the car when I returned to get the abrasions out and I tried to contact the company but their web site only had ways to order and no way to call them.

I ended up sending them an e-mail and, of course, NO response.

I'd NEVER recommend using Road Wrap.

Glen

Last edited by Glen220; 10-18-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-14-2010, 09:53 PM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it specify anywhere in the directions not to be used on headlight lenses or for painted surfaces only?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reply

AoRoads – Only time will tell. I keep My Vette under my carport with cover and drive it only on week-ends.

Luster – I had the headlights on for about for about 30 miles of the 60 mile trip. I don’t think heat was the problem since more coating was removed at the front of lens farther away from the blubs. Also, I only had this problem with one of the headlight covers not both.

Obx… - No, the instructions neither say you can use it over headlight covers nor warns you not to use it to cover them. Luckily, I did not notice any damage to the paint finish.

Gbgary – I’m not a GM rep, I’m just describing what occurred. EDinPA may have more knowledge than I on this subject.

Glen220 – I also had part of the wrap to blow off at 70 mph. Scared the $hit out of me when it started flapping against my hood. I had to stop on the interstate to completely remove that section of wrap.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Aside from bugs, our C6 seems to stand up well to small hits on the front. We've got 23k miles on it, probably a couple of hundred on gravel (road construction, especially out west) and i can find exactly two very small paint chips and one small ding on a headlight lens.

The potential problems with bras, clearbras, roadwrap, etc have me thinking that the cure is worse than the disease.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Good to know info.

Can't blame China. Made in good ole USA.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cor24vette
But I love to blame China!

Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
rrankins
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using Road Wrap this year, but only as protection from cones, stones, etc. when I Autocross. I put it on the front bumper (but not over the headlights) and the rear quarter panels in front of the rear wheels.

I haven't used it for long drives, but based on what I've seen when autocrossing with it, I would have to believe it wouldn't hold up well on a long trip. It seems to hold fine on large flat surfaces, but doesn't stay stuck as well on curved surfaces (and as we know, a C6 has a fair number of curves). The key is to get a nice clean surface and get it applied with as few wrinkles as possible (which is easier said than done).

Surprised it messed up the finish on the headlamps since it's adhesion capabilities are not that strong. I've had no problem with taking it off of the painted surfaces.

Still, for the price, I haven't been that impressed and once I use up my existing roll, I'll be looking for an alternative. A couple recommendations I've gotten are to try Collision wrap (available at suppliers to body shops), or just use clear contact/shelf paper. One of the guys I autocross with has been using it on his Z06 when he autocrosses and it seems to work fine and he says leaves no residue (as **** retentive as he is about his car's finish and appearance, it must not be affecting the finish or he wouldn't continue to use it).

-Ray
Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by cor24vette
Good to know info.

Yes but let's anyway!!

Get notified of new replies

To Beware of Road Wrap

Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I don't use any of the so-called protective systems. I found from experience you have less chance of damage by trusting your luck.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:35 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...nd+Grand+Sport

I have it on my Z06 lamps for about a year now. So far so good, and it saved one the lens from a rock.

Some people fear this type of protection on the headlamps, but I've seen far more damaged head lamps that had zero protection, including crazing damage.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM
tjl5709
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Our lenses are made from polycarbonate. Although it is tuff and can take impact well. It is soft, scratches easily, and has weak UV resistance.

A clearcoat is applied to provide improved UV resistance, and more specifically, better scratch resistance.

You should not be able to pull the clearcoat off with what is basically tape. Sounds like an adhesion issue of the clear.

Quick Reply: Beware of Road Wrap