C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things that you wish GM would tell you up front

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
True.

Just for the record, I'm not much of a *chemical* type person. I don't buy a lot of cleaner products. I mostly just use water and elbow grease on everything. Microfiber towels are my best friend.

Someone once offered me Simple Green to use on my wheels once and I declined, opting for just water and my generic car soap. Point is, I tend to stay away from almost all cleaning products. Don't like to breath them either

Ca. does allow it anyway.,.,.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
C'mon - no one is expected to actually read the owner's manual, are they?
only as an absolute LAST RESORT...

Now, I have never cleaned brake calipers on any car I've owned, just shoot them with water during a wash. But I have certainly used brake cleaner during a brake job - even tho you don't directly spray the calipers, some might get on there. Although normally I just shoot the new rotors to remove the shipping coating before I install them on the car.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Not everything...just the economy crashing. And he's right.

And just like the OP, people who voted twice for Bush never took any responsibility for screwing things up!
Like I said, let us all hope he continues to take no responsibility for his mistakes. As we all can clearly see his poll numbers have continued to dive the more he blames Bush. Hopefully he will continue to run against Bush for another 2 years. Then after the election in 2012 he can figure out Bush was not running.

Fortunately the country is going to have a landslide election of which the country has not seen in some 100 years.

As you have several times in the past I hope you and all your left wing friends continue to blame Bush for everything and please continue to run against him. Please...
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Like-The brake calipers on the Grand Sport ? Don't use BRAKE CLEANER. It tends to take off the BRAKE caliper paint. Seriously-No Brake cleaner for the brakes? You just can't make this sh*t up.

Anyone know how to fix this screw up ?
May i ask why you are useing brake cleaner on a new vette ????
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Wildlife4u
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yet another good reason for powdercoating.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 PM
oldshore
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette
It is lacquer thinners, except at a much higher price. In the old days we would use Carbon tech to clean brake parts. It did a good job. Negative side the fumes were deadly and was eventually taken off the market.
Carbon Tet (not tech) = carbon tetrachloride
Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
Fortunately the country is going to have a landslide election of which the country has not seen in some 100 years.
Hmm, 100 yr. landslide? Care to make a wager on that one?

Getting in touch with your inner progressive

Despite what you're hearing, Americans are liberal.

By Steven Conn
The story line of the coming elections has been that conservatives are angry, motivated, and poised for a major electoral triumph. They promise to return America to its traditional values, hijacked as they've been by insidious liberals.

But here's the secret conservatives don't want you to know: America is a progressive nation, and Americans have always embraced progress over stasis. Chances are, you're a liberal, too.

Don't believe me? Let's have a quick history lesson, comparing the conservative and liberal positions on issues over the last 100 years, and you can see for yourself.

Think 10-year-olds should work in coal mines? One hundred years ago, conservative business interests and their political allies certainly thought so, and they fought efforts to enact laws protecting children from the dangers of coal mines, textile mills, and other hazardous workplaces. But progressives got those regulations passed, and kids don't work in coal mines anymore.

Ninety years ago this year, American women finally got the right to vote. It was a close call, however, because of the fierce opposition of conservatives and traditionalists who thought women were too mentally frail to vote. So, any conservative guys reading this, go tell your wife or sister or mother she isn't smart enough to vote. See how that one goes over.

Fifty years ago, African Americans were routinely denied the right to vote (and many other rights) by Southern states ruled by conservatives. That changed only when liberals in the federal government passed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act over the protests of conservatives waving the "states' rights" banner. Fifty years later, how many of you think states ought to be allowed to strip people of their rights on the basis of race?

And how many think you ought to be left with nothing when you retire? In 1935, the United States was just about the only industrialized nation without an old-age pension system. That year, FDR signed the Social Security Act over the howling objections of conservatives in Congress.

The next year, Republican Alf Landon ran for president vowing to repeal Social Security. FDR won one of the biggest landslides in American history, and no one remembers Alf Landon anymore.

Likewise, as Americans began to live longer, many faced rising medical costs without health insurance. Then Lyndon Johnson and his liberal Congress created Medicare, and now seniors have some of the best medical coverage in the country. Raise your hand if you want to take Medicare away from the senior citizens in your life.

As we struggle out of the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression, it's also worth remembering that conservatives have always opposed attempts to regulate the financial system. They hated the idea of creating the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. in the 1930s, and they stood overwhelmingly against the recent bank regulation bill. But who among us really thinks that the Great Recession was caused by too much oversight of the banking, insurance, and mortgage industries?

So it has gone across the last 100 years. If we had followed the conservative path, we'd be a nation with official racial segregation and gender inequality, poorer senior citizens, banks free to do whatever they want, and kids mining coal. Given their track record over the last century, one wonders what makes conservatives think they've finally gotten it right today.

The funny thing, of course, is that conservatives know all this. When tea-party darling Rand Paul suggested repealing the Civil Rights Act, conservative Republicans in the Senate rejected the notion. When President Obama proposed reining in some Medicare costs, conservative Republicans positioned themselves as great defenders of the program.

Conservatives have been on the wrong side of history over and over again, and Americans have demonstrated that they don't want to live in a conservative nation. So smile: You're really a liberal after all. Come November, why not go and vote that way?

Last edited by vettedoogie; 10-13-2010 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:06 AM
carguy1965
Instructor

Not really wanting to get into politics in the old C6 Gen section.. But I cant let one thing slide in this little liberal fantasy editorial.. The civil rights act of 1963 was passed because of Republican votes,, Vast numbers of Democrats, Including Robert Bryd, and old Al Gore himself's daddy voted against it,, Oh yea, Abe Lincoln was a Republican too. If you want to look at some history.. Look at the ups and downs of the US economy.. It goes down when Democrats control Congress and up when they dont.. You can trace it back for decades.. This is not a liberal Country, Less than 25% of people say they are liberal in poll after poll. It may be someday, but right now this is still a conservative country as you will see on Nov 2nd..
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 AM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like I said, let us all hope he continues to take no responsibility for his mistakes. As we all can clearly see his poll numbers have continued to dive the more he blames Bush. Hopefully he will continue to run against Bush for another 2 years. Then after the election in 2012 he can figure out Bush was not running.

As you have several times in the past I hope you and all your left wing friends continue to blame Bush for everything and please continue to run against him. Please...
Old 10-14-2010, 06:37 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by dardenken
May i ask why you are useing brake cleaner on a new vette ????
Some people actually buy their cars to DRIVE. After track days the wheels are full of rubber and the entire wheel well is full of brake dust. Just doing my waxer duty and cleaning up. Learned a expensive lesson.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
JerG
Pro

I always use soap, water, and a towel on painted calipers.
That's good advice. On my dd, I notice that some wheel cleaners take off the paint on the calipers and I had to touch them up.
For my Vette, I just use car wash and water, no problems.

As far as the original poster, using brake cleaner on painted calipers is just plain dumb.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:00 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by JerG
As far as the original poster, using brake cleaner on painted calipers is just plain dumb.
You want dumb? Living in New Jersey ON PURPOSE.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Things that I wish I could tell GM up front!!!

Develop a decent paddle shift capable automatic before offering it in the only American Sports car!!!!!!!

Last edited by 6speedC6; 10-14-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

I will take that bet any day of the week. The election will without question be historical and a landslide like we have never seen in our lifetime.

Now we have to work on 2012. We are lucky Obama will not bend and will remain a true liberal. The economy is clearly not going to recover anytime soon along with the housing market and unemployment.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will take that bet any day of the week. The election will without question be historical and a landslide like we have never seen in our lifetime.

Now we have to work on 2012. We are lucky Obama will not bend and will remain a true liberal. The economy is clearly not going to recover anytime soon along with the housing market and unemployment.
Yeah, he sure hasn't bent. Just one example, the biggest expansion of offshore oil & gas exploration in half a century...of course he doesn't get any credit for that. And what did Republicans immediately do when he did this...bitch. Which is what you guys are best at.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...033100024.html

Face it, corporations are awash in cash. They could hire people today if they felt like it. They just want to make it worse here because that makes more anger and furthers their causes..including higher bonuses!

VS, don't back out on me now...you said 100 years. Now you are backing out to "in our lifetime". I know you aren't that old.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 10-14-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

Not much at all. Sadly, he does not reach across the aisle. Granted he does not need to though. Yet, he should make a attempt.

Obama had a history making chance to transcend politics and racial harmony. Yet, one of the first things he did was take sides in a racial incident and call the police stupid. Sadly, race relations are worse today then when he took office.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

You had your warning, it was on the brake cleaner can. Not GM's fault you did not read it. Live and learn

Get notified of new replies

To Things that you wish GM would tell you up front

Old 10-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

Read the instructions on the can "protect painted surfaces". This is not a GM problem.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

They should tell you the Bose Stereo Sucks.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Read the info on the can. It says not to get on paint. It is not GM's fault at all.

Quick Reply: Things that you wish GM would tell you up front