C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you FOR or AGAINST having a "black box" in your C6?
I am FOR it
35.93%
I am AGAINST it
64.07%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

The Black Box

Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I didn't vote because I really don't care. The thing you are looking at now is one of the biggest invasions of your privacy. Now I'm against them using a black box or something to adjust your insurance rates. Some insurance companies have a policy like that now. The more agressive you drive the more you pay.

I heard about Oregon's new plan for a gas tax. And people actually think they will spend less money for gas by getting a small dangerous, efficient for its size, car. The ODOT will also send your ticket to a collector if you are not quick at paying it.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Black box? Hell, I'm more worried about that Black helicopter that follows me everywhere. Looks like it's a Black guy flying it...WAIT A MINUTE...BARRACK HUSSEIN ADOLF HITLER KIM JONG GENGHAS KHAN OBAMA!!
:rof l:

Dude you made my day!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
gtovett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am against. I'm confident that the majority of the time circumstantial evidence would prove my innocence or guilt. I feel that the data from the "black box" would be used against me before it would be used in my defense.

I firmly believe in "innocent until proven guilty" and a fallible "black box" is something I can do without in my life.

I just can't envision many situations where it would be used in my defense. I can think of many more instances that it could be used against me, heaven forbid something would happen where I would be the defendant.

Very interesting poll.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Far from paranoid, our government is all about taking a bit here a bit there all the time. It's how they accumulate a little more power and a little more power and a little more power.

You can say I'm paranoid, but if you don't believe they (the government) are slowly eroding our rights bit by bit then the word I have for you is imbecile.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by gtovett

Very interesting poll.

The high number of folks that support it is a bit disconcerting. Especially when folks here are supposedly above average in both income and intelligence.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by category4
Far from paranoid, our government is all about taking a bit here a bit there all the time. It's how they accumulate a little more power and a little more power and a little more power.

You can say I'm paranoid, but if you don't believe they (the government) are slowly eroding our rights bit by bit then the word I have for you is imbecile.
You are the imbecile, it is corporate America that is taking & using all the privacy information. You need to apply for a job or go to the hospital and see how little info you can get by with giving them.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rule292
The high number of folks that support it is a bit disconcerting. Especially when folks here are supposedly above average in both income and intelligence.
Nobody supports a black box, they just acknowledge its existence.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
You are the imbecile, it is corporate America that is taking & using all the privacy information. You need to apply for a job or go to the hospital and see how little info you can get by with giving them.
Corporate America only takes/does what the judiciary says is legal to do.

The problem isn't the black box. It's this

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Never ever try to pay off the cop. What starts out as a minor traffic violation will end with you in jail. Remember most agencies now have the dash cam which pretty much precludes bad behavior on all participants part.

Everyone gets stopped occasionally. I generally get stopped once a year. I have been lucky and only recently received one citation in the past 30 plus years from a State Trooper. (Which I was fortunate to beat in court. )

When I was a cop we were told that the average motorist will violate over a hundred traffic laws per week. I seldom wrote citations because of my job, but it is easy to find violators.

After I have been stopped I try to evaluate my driving habits to not get stopped again, usually works for a while.
If every one of the petty-*** do-good laws were enforced we'd all be broke and/or in jail. So I don't need a machine watching me to log every mistake that I make.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

WRONG... The "black box" was installed in cars because car companies wanted the data.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

The problem isn't the black box. It's this
If every one of the petty-*** do-good laws were enforced we'd all be broke and/or in jail. So I don't need a machine watching me to log every mistake that I make.
When was the last time you got a ticket when a machine logged your mistakes? The box has been there a very long time and I've not heard anyone talking seriously about using info like that to send us tickets.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Rule292
Race Director

WRONG... The "black box" was installed in cars because car companies wanted the data.
The car companies required the data recorder for federally mandated emissions and safety (EPA and FMVSS) compliance.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

The car companies required the data recorder for federally mandated emissions and safety (EPA and FMVSS) compliance.
Wrong.
Because EDRs are not currently required by law, usage of the device varies widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. General Motors and Ford implement the technology on most of their recent models, while Mercedes-Benz and Audi do not use EDRs at all. As of 2003, there were at least 40 million vehicles equipped with the devices.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_data_recorder
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Rule292
Race Director

OK, the event data recorder is not considered part of the logging for emissions and safety compliance.

Does the fact that it is still more likely to be used against you rather than for your benefit a concern to you?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

OK, the event data recorder is not considered part of the logging for emissions and safety compliance.

Does the fact that it is still more likely to be used against you rather than for your benefit a concern to you?
Take a look at what I've said...I'm not a fan BUT it is simply too late as SOME corporations have already made them an integral part of the modern automobile.

I can see situations where this data could be beneficial and I can see situations where it could be liability. Of course, I do not want to see traffic tickets issued from a monthly review of the data.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually there are rules that corporate America has to abide by concerning privacy issues. Should they exceed there mandate I have legal remedy, I have none against the Government.

Actually I can and did get my job without giving any info to the company. It was the Federal and State governments that required all my private info. My company didn't even ask any questions when I informed them they were buying my new Corvette. Guess I'm smarter than you think.

As for medical treatment it can't be too hard, every illegal immigrant in this country can get it without having to tell them anything!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:29 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by category4
Actually there are rules that corporate America has to abide by concerning privacy issues. Should they exceed there mandate I have legal remedy, I have none against the Government.

Actually I can and did get my job without giving any info to the company. It was the Federal and State governments that required all my private info. My company didn't even ask any questions when I informed them they were buying my new Corvette. Guess I'm smarter than you think.

As for medical treatment it can't be too hard, every illegal immigrant in this country can get it without having to tell them anything!!
There are a lot of rules that corporations find a way around. You have to know that they broke the rule first.

So you have a family business. You didn't have to give them your Social Security number? I don't believe it.

Good point but when did you last go to a hospital and not have to give them a large amount of private info?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Black Box