C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are you FOR or AGAINST having a "black box" in your C6?
I am FOR it
35.93%
I am AGAINST it
64.07%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

The Black Box

Old 10-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

SCoach,

And so the recording technology that can ABSOLUTELY refute that you were doing unlawful speeds and operating in a safe manner is at your disposal, and you rather put your fortune in a "my word against theirs"? If the black box records you doing 75mph on the highway and not 175mph, wouldn't you WANT that information to be present? I sure do.
Given the world we live, if you're driving a Corvette you are already an arrogant, dishonest, creep so you were probably doing something wrong to begin with. Do I really believ that? Yes.

If you are afraid the information recorded will not present your case well, then hire a good attorney. That is their job. Accident reconstruction is a pretty good science these days. Anything I can get in my favor, especially, objectively recorded data that supports my statements is something I view as a positive.
Give it a rest. The attorney's job is to transfer wealth from you to him. And the greater the need for defense, the greater the transfer.

No, I don't necessarily want my every move recorded. But that is being done anyway. I live a public life, working for a public agency. I act in the abundance of caution and am usually traveling at below posted speeds. Especially in town. I absolutely LOVE cruising past LEOs going 3mph under the posted speed with cars passing me. I look like the ultra-responsible sports car owner that they need not worry about. It's taken me 25 years of driving to attain this status, and I intend to do everything in my power to keep it.
In that case, being a public figure you're double suspect. You may not know who the late Robert Novak was but he was a well known journalist. Here's part of a big issue in which he was publicly pilloried a few years ago. You can search for more but the fact he was a (damned) CORVETTE driver and being one of those creepy public figures made him easy meat for the vultures. Good luck.

"Robert Novak is driving a black corvette on K Street. He hits a pedestrian crossing the street in a crosswalk with a "walk" sign. And then he speeds away...until a vigilante cyclist, who also happens to be a partner at lobbying/law firm Harkins Cunningham, uses his bike to block Novak from evading the police!"

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...ciopath/49444/
Old 10-02-2010, 05:36 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
So exactly which of these is an "essential liberty", LBear?

So if you get really injured in this accident and are sent to the hospital and you are alone and near death, is it ok if they find out your medical history?
Pull the plug if I am near death or a vegetable. My wife knows that they are to PULL THE PLUG. As far as medical records go, I don't want the gov't dabbling in my privacy. It's that simple. Make it a private system, not a gov't system.

It is the BIGGER PICTURE. If you like having everything monitored, then you are OK with the government plan to limit the amount of electricity you use at home?

Maybe you like the European system? When I was in Europe in the 80's, they limited the amount of fuel you can buy for your car. Want to take a cruise for fun? Not going to happen. You got an allotted amount of fuel per month, no matter what.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foxer55
Given the world we live, if you're driving a Corvette you are already an arrogant, dishonest, creep so you were probably doing something wrong to begin with. Do I really believ that? Yes.
In a Vette, you are usually guilty until proven innocent.

Give it a rest. The attorney's job is to transfer wealth from you to him. And the greater the need for defense, the greater the transfer.
YEP!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:31 PM
rz2mbc
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For

Originally Posted by racer44
i voted for, if it puts some moron in jail for killing someone, that's a good thing. Having said that,this poll is for the paranoids and the paranoids will make the "againsts" win in this one.
excellent post !!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:38 PM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the growing Orwellian society we are living in, I believe any vote that does not oppose "black boxes" reflects a desire to live in slavery.
Amen Brother!! It won't we much longer before they are using this type of technology to just mail us a speeding ticket. No cameras, no officer witnessing anything, just downloading you info from your car every night and then mailing you the tax bill!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by category4
Amen Brother!! It won't we much longer before they are using this type of technology to just mail us a speeding ticket. No cameras, no officer witnessing anything, just downloading you info from your car every night and then mailing you the tax bill!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Much Ado About Nothing
Old 10-02-2010, 09:41 PM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can make you an aluminum foil hat to keep the "govment" from readin' your brainwaves

I'm 100% for this!

A couple of years ago in Plano, there was a multiple fatality accident caused by a guy at 10 in the morning on a Sunday. He was "running late" to get to his ex wifes house to pick up his kid.

When he t-boned the minivan, killing everyone onboard, spun around hitting several other cars who had just left church, he survived.

When Plano PD pulled and "read" the box (it wasn't a Corvette), it show that he was doing over 100 MPH (from memory).

They used the data from the telemetry to convict him. They built an accurate depiction of the accident for the jury and was able to show his speed upon impact.

My feeling is that if you choose to drive recklessly, have an accident and hurt and/or kill someone, that's your problem. You should pay for it.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:45 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer44
Ok, I get it now, thanks, your a PARANOID and a WACK JOB
I jest.
You, are a truly sad case and waste a of any useful information.

It must be a be a Canadian thing? While I'm out having a fantastic drive through the mountians in the Vette. You set here on this forum all day long. Come on, get your **** out of here and go have some fun!!!

Hey, nothing personal. You are still kind of a OK guy.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:51 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteinplano
I can make you an aluminum foil hat to keep the "govment" from readin' your brainwaves

I'm 100% for this!

A couple of years ago in Plano, there was a multiple fatality accident caused by a guy at 10 in the morning on a Sunday. He was "running late" to get to his ex wifes house to pick up his kid.

When he t-boned the minivan, killing everyone onboard, spun around hitting several other cars who had just left church, he survived.

When Plano PD pulled and "read" the box (it wasn't a Corvette), it show that he was doing over 100 MPH (from memory).

They used the data from the telemetry to convict him. They built an accurate depiction of the accident for the jury and was able to show his speed upon impact.

My feeling is that if you choose to drive recklessly, have an accident and hurt and/or kill someone, that's your problem. You should pay for it.
I have to wonder if they needed a black box to deduce that he was speeding. I would think the carnage and other clues would build the case for them.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

No freaking way do I want a black box in my car. I already know how to corrupt the data.

There is no way it can be guaranteed that the data from these devices will be used in an impartial manor that applies to all motorists. Remember the governor of NJ who’s SUV crashed and it took weeks to determine that they were going about 90 mph? They seemed to have problem acquiring the data from that black box. Go figure.

BUT I drive in a responsible way – Just like everyone else here with 300 – 400 -500+ horse power cars that never break the speed limit.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by glrc6

It must be a be a Canadian thing? While I'm out having a fantastic drive through the mountians in the Vette. You set here on this forum all day long. Come on, get your **** out of here and go have some fun!!!

Well, my mountains (world famous) are closer than your mountains so na na na. But today, I was working at the firehall and in between fighting fires and saving lives I was posting my very valuable thoughts on the forum.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:20 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glrc6

He does the same thing to me. He actually stalks me and it is very creepy.

It might be that since he lives in icy Canada, his cruising days are coming to an end, and he needs to vent. Putting away his C6 for the next 7 months is getting to him.

I would rather have him vent here on the forum than go home and kick his dog down the stairs or find some other destructive manner to release his frustrations.

Have you hugged Racer44 today? He sure needs it.

Last edited by LBear; 10-02-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Black box? Hell, I'm more worried about that Black helicopter that follows me everywhere. Looks like it's a Black guy flying it...WAIT A MINUTE...BARRACK HUSSEIN ADOLF HITLER KIM JONG GENGHAS KHAN OBAMA!!

I certainly don't agree with everything that President Obama has done while he's been in office, but this ^ is the stupidest comment I've read on here in quite a long time!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

warren,

There is no way it can be guaranteed that the data from these devices will be used in an impartial manor that applies to all motorists. Remember the governor of NJ who’s SUV crashed and it took weeks to determine that they were going about 90 mph? They seemed to have problem acquiring the data from that black box. Go figure.
Indeed.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ILLUSHN

I certainly don't agree with everything that President Obama has done while he's been in office, but this ^ is the stupidest comment I've read on here in quite a long time!
Clearly, you hate America and children, as well as support terrorism.

As well as lacking any sense of humor.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LBear
He does the same thing to me. He actually stalks me and it is very creepy.

It might be that since he lives in icy Canada, his cruising days are coming to an end, and he needs to vent. Putting away his C6 for the next 7 months is getting to him.

I would rather have him vent here on the forum than go home and kick his dog down the stairs or find some other destructive manner to release his frustrations.

Have you hugged Racer44 today? He sure needs it.

I would never kick my dog, could you kick this puppy?

Get notified of new replies

To The Black Box

Old 10-03-2010, 02:00 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

So, I'm just curious. All of those that are ambivalent about monitoring: Would you also not care (or even support) a black box device in your car that automatically notified appropriate authorities whenever an act that was deemed unlawful occurred? So, you drive 2 mph over the posted speed limit...an automatic traffic citation. You roll that stop on a deserted road...another automatic citation. You cross the double yellow on a service road to get around a garbage truck doing it's job...another citation. I may (or may not!) have done all of these acts since I got my Vette last week, all of them completely safe, in fact not only safe, but in every situation cited, the safety of not only myself, but other drivers and/or pedestrians was enhanced by the performance of what may or may not have been construed as an illegal act.

Technology exists today to monitor your every move in your car. Black box type of data can be immensely useful in the study of accidents and general vehicle usage to enhance the safety and reliability of our cars. But when this same data is used primarily for the purpose of determining guilt or innocence, I bet that it will hurt you many more times that it will help you.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
As most C5 & C6 owners know, there is a "BLACK BOX" inside our cars. It records the last few seconds prior to impact. It will record vehicle speed, % of brakes being applied, throttle position, RPM, etc.

In a serious accident, the black box info can be downloaded and then used against you in both criminal and civil charges.

With that being said. Are you FOR or AGAINST having a "black box" in your C6?

"Sheriff said they took the BLACK BOX from the corvette and down loaded the info. for the DA and the Vette was doing 157 MPHwhen he passed the St. Croix Co. cop prior to loosing control and when into a side way skid for 888 feet when he hit the tree. Otherwise the car would have gone thru the house and into the Apple River. Parts of the car were on the roof of the house and the driver is alive and in the hospital .The woman passenger nearly died but is now recovering."
Sad part is, none of us like it, but the ECM, or Electronic Control Module is part of pretty much any new vehicle you can buy today, and has information than can be downloaded. It's been on heavy trucks for years, and can tell the engine RPM's, vehicle speed, brake applications, etc. to the second. The technology is there in many different ways, in New York State a few years back when the EZPass electronic toll collection system was implemented, there were concerns of abuse by the Authorities to issue tickets, but after threat of Civil Suits NY agreed to use it only as a collection device, not an enforcement one, but the technology is there. Same thing for red light or speed cameras, you get the ticket in the mail. I guess the moral is if you don't drive stupid on the street, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:15 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
So, I'm just curious. All of those that are ambivalent about monitoring: Would you also not care (or even support) a black box device in your car that automatically notified appropriate authorities whenever an act that was deemed unlawful occurred?
Exactly. Everyone has a line that they will not want the monitoring to cross. If a GPS device monitored your driving 24 hrs a day and then issued you warnings and citations in the mail, I bet they wouldn't be too happy.

What would be the point of owning a Corvette if you couldn't do any WOT or fast runs without getting a ticket in the mail?

Where to draw the line? How much monitoring is OK? That will be the debate. How much freedom are we willing to lose?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Black Box