C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM
terryship
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add bluetooth?

To my 07 Vert. I have the Bose/Navi upgrade and thought I was getting bluetooth -- wrong. I'd like to have it. Is there a reasonably priced way to utilize the Onstar microphone and get bluetooth to work with my existing system. Or, if not, what is a good upgrade? I just spent $270 extending the XM subscription.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Amish Bill
Intermediate

There is a product called "bluestar" I think... form a company called Costar.

Let me google that real quick.

Yep - here it is: BlueSTAR

It appears to disable OnStar though. If you like the OnStar, you might want to continue looking.

I like the current product, but if they could work in an Aux jack, I'd really love it!

I have yet to find a built in ipod adapter with a truly usefull interface. I want something like the wired Griffin AutoTrip that powers the ipod and has an 1/8 out that can plug right into a radio aux jack. This way I can keep using the ipod user interface.

Last edited by Amish Bill; 09-24-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:41 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 245 Posts

I intalled it in my 2006 C6 w/Bose/Navi. It connects so the radio stops when a call comes in or goes out. Not able to use the mic tho. I had to use the one supplied with my Motorola system.
Go to http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audio-electronics-20/.
and do a search on bluetooth. You will find some info.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by terryship
Is there a reasonably priced way to utilize the Onstar microphone and get bluetooth to work with my existing system.
Bluetooth is a LAN (local area network) that enables 2 or more devices to communicate with each other.

What do you want to connect to your Onstar mic?

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 PM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's involved in installing this Bluestar unit? I don't feel like taking the dash apart in my Z06...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Amish Bill
Intermediate

I believe it lays in with the OnStar module in a kick panel. Check the Costar forums to verify.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Loaded08
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Bluetooth is a LAN (local area network) that enables 2 or more devices to communicate with each other.

What do you want to connect to your Onstar mic?

Actually, bluetooth is a PAN (personal area network).
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Loaded08
Actually, bluetooth is a PAN (personal area network).
That's right, very good

Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

To my 07 Vert. I have the Bose/Navi upgrade and thought I was getting bluetooth -- wrong. I'd like to have it. Is there a reasonably priced way to utilize the Onstar microphone and get bluetooth to work with my existing system. Or, if not, what is a good upgrade? I just spent $270 extending the XM subscription.
I had blutooth on my '09 Roadster and turned it on and paired or sync'd (correct term I think) it with my (outdated) razor phone. It worked fine. However, it got to where it was annoying to me incoming calls. Opportunity came to "upgrade" Vette ('09 was my first Vette) from '09 base Roadster to '10 Z06 and I did. My new Z06 I have not ever sync'd my old razor to it. I do not know if it's only programming or not. I do know you MUST have onstar to have bluetooth. It may only be simple programming. Go to dealer and check it out or call GM customer service and they should 'eventually' get you correct answer. Good Luck.

Last edited by tim414; 09-24-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tim414
I do know you MUST have onstar to have bluetooth. It may only be simple programming. Go to dealer and check it out or call GM customer service and they should 'eventually' get you correct answer. Good Luck.
I'm not the most tech savvy but I think a future upgrade to the GM PAL is going to have bluetooth as an add-on. I sure hope it doesn't require onstar also..
Old 09-24-2010, 08:33 PM
terryship
Heel & Toe

Default Bluetooth

Thanks for the replies. I want to be able talk into the Onstar mic and have it go out my cell phone. And I want incoming calls to cause my music to mute and come through my stereo speakers. I really don't care much about Onstar so disabling it doesn't bother me. I really never have used Onstar so I might be missing out on something great, but using the mic in the car seems like a great way to talk on my phone.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Thanks for the replies. I want to be able talk into the Onstar mic and have it go out my cell phone. And I want incoming calls to cause my music to mute and come through my stereo speakers. I really don't care much about Onstar so disabling it doesn't bother me. I really never have used Onstar so I might be missing out on something great, but using the mic in the car seems like a great way to talk on my phone.
I'm in the same boat as you. I'd prefer it to mute music, play through speakers, and utilize the onstar mic. So if you hear of anything please shoot me a PM or something. I'll do the same. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I travel for a living and have had a few different phone car kits (anyone remember Motorola's first flip phone car kit?).

Placement of the microphone is key and you will be better off using a kit with a separate mic, placing it as close to your mouth as possible. Experiment, but mine is close to the visor. Some of the kits have a way to mute music, but i never took the time to look into how to wire it. Look at Parrot or Motorola (IFH1000) if you decide to go with my suggestion. You can also move the kit to your next Corvette.

My wife has the Ford Sync system in her Explorer and made me turn it off because no one could hear her (see mic placement above).

Get notified of new replies

To Can I add bluetooth?

Quick Reply: Can I add bluetooth?