C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette hit the wall

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:00 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vette hit the wall

Another Vette hit the wall at the strip Friday night. A very nice yellow C6. It seems so prevalent, especially for Vettes to hit the wall. Don't know if the drivers can't handle the power or what. Looks like he got out of the groove and slid into the wall. Had to ruin his day, week, year, all of them. Too bad.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Explain that one to the insurance company. There are few things that I'm not willing to risk, first is my family, 2nd is my Vette.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 AM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I grew up running at the drag strip with my daily drivers and never saw anyone ever hit the wall with a street car. Lately I've seen three, 2 new GTO's and a C5. I was the next car down the strip behind the C5 and I was a little concerned as I hit 2nd gear (2001 Cammed Camaro LS1 that ran mid 12's with a manual 6 speed). Even on street tires, 2nd gear was pretty normal. I guess some people can't drive and now really fast street cars are a lot more common place than they were when I was younger. The key is if the car gets squirrely to let off the gas.

Life is too short not to go out and enjoy driving your car at track days, drag strips, and autocrosses. You just have to be smart.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It happens, just this weekend at the drags here a 10 sec. stang did the same, driver was shaken up, car was damaged but repairable. We all have the required safety equiptment and insurance, hopefully we will never need it, but it does happen. Street class without the additional insurance and added safety equiptment, risky, hope the owners mentioned have a speedy recovery and repairs,
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 AM
VettinFan
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm certainly not going to talk anti strip or track, but when you do, you have to know these type of things, and possibly worse, can and will happen. And be prepared to foot the repair bill.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Happens on the road course too. The last 3 I went to, turn 10 at Homestead Miami speedway took out a Lotus Elise, Ferrari F430, and Porsche GT3, all lost their rear ends. It happens, be prepared that it could happen to you.
David
Old 09-22-2010, 08:52 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

I love drag racing and I love to drag race, but it is much more than pedal to the metal and hold on. Many people learn this the hard way.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:05 PM
thesubfloor
Melting Slicks

Location: Brentwood World's first A6 in the 9's (including N/A, blower, turbo and nitrous cars) 9.950@139.267 CA

Default Absolutely no excuse for that

Unless somebody runs into you, something physically breaks or there's a bad oil spill on the track, the only reason your car's gonna end up going into the wall is shear stupidity.

I've made over 600 passes in my 07 and it's gotten away from me less than 5 times in total but in every case I just let off the gas and was able to straighten it out.

Even during elimination rounds, no race is worth wrecking your car for.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM
CaliSun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe some folks are modding their cars beyond their driving ability?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by thesubfloor
Unless somebody runs into you, something physically breaks or there's a bad oil spill on the track, ...
I've seen several guys get really loose from an oily spot that wasn't visible, couple of them would have hit the wall except the car went the other way.

Sheer stupidity is a common cause, but sometimes it's just a bad combination of circumstances.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliSun

Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 PM
CH-Z51
Drifting

Location: The Great Pacific Northwest...........I carry a gun cause a cops too heavy.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I saw a Z06 that was only a couple of months old hit the wall, hard, at our local drag strip. And its only an 1/8 mi track!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
...The key is if the car gets squirrely to let off the gas...
This is impossible to do quickly & smoothly... IF you mash the gas pedal HARD and lock your knee to hold it.

Dead giveaway: You see a driver's head go up as their butt lifts off the seat. Then you know they're "standing on it." Bad technique.

I used to drag race a Mustang. Got squirrely a couple times. And saw a few accidents -- other folks, not me thankfully.

My C6 will never see a drag strip or road course. Can't afford ($$$) the risk. And I'm getting conservative & cowardly in my old age.

For those of you that race your C6, be safe. And enjoy!

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 09-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:50 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliSun
that's EXACTLY what is happen! Half the people can't even handle a stock vette because they have so much power.. let alone a modded one.

I'm running over 500 rwhp and if I make a mistake I'm are going to have a very bad day.. very fast! I honestly know people with vettes that seriously NEED to attend a HP driving school but they are to proud or stupid or cheap to do it! Best thing anyone can do that doesn't have a lot of seat time in a high performance car IMO....

You start driving 11 sec or 10 sec street cars you had best know what you're doing....
Old 09-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by glennhl
I grew up running at the drag strip with my daily drivers and never saw anyone ever hit the wall with a street car. Lately I've seen three, 2 new GTO's and a C5. I was the next car down the strip behind the C5 and I was a little concerned as I hit 2nd gear (2001 Cammed Camaro LS1 that ran mid 12's with a manual 6 speed). Even on street tires, 2nd gear was pretty normal. I guess some people can't drive and now really fast street cars are a lot more common place than they were when I was younger. The key is if the car gets squirrely to let off the gas.

Life is too short not to go out and enjoy driving your car at track days, drag strips, and autocrosses. You just have to be smart.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Fear is a good thing. It keeps some people off the track and (hopefully) instills respect for those on the track.

Odd as it seems, the fearless ones are the ones I fear most.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:52 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Hopefully the guy had A LOT of money to burn as the insurance company WILL NOT cover that accident. It will be all out of pocket.

Out on the Route 66 raceway in Joliet, I was talking to a guy who was dragging his Z06. The insurance issue came up and I told him that if he crashed his insurance company would cancel his policy, black list him for the next 10+ years, and he would have to pay out of pocket for any damages.

His jaw dropped. He could not believe it. I told him to call his agent and ask. He got on the phone and called and sure enough, everything I said was verified, they would not cover his car if he crashed at the track. Needless to say, he never tracked his car again.

I would safely say that 50% of all C6 owners do NOT realize that they are not insured when they drag race at the track or compete in any speed/time exhibition. Read the fine print on your insurance policy.

If you got deep pockets, go for it. If not, then you have to weigh the risk if you crash at the track. If you got $50k to burn, then more power to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette hit the wall

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Some people just don't know when they should lift off the throttle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLMNmZrEhM8
Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLMNmZrEhM8
I think some people simply FREEZE with their foot to the firewall... and then... No reason for that one except some terrible driving skills....
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear

"But, that's what they do in the drifting competitions. Why doesn't it work here? Smoking tires should go faster, shouldn't they?"

DUH!!!

Quick Reply: Vette hit the wall