C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering an out of state car in California

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:28 PM
c6rod
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Registering an out of state car in California

Can anything be done to get an out of state, new Corvette registered in California?? It seems that if the car is not YF5 California emmissions equiped it is impossible unless a used car with 7500+ miles. I find this hard to believe. Can California dealers import an out of state car and equip it with YF5 to make the sale? I am asking because I want a 2010 GS coupe and they are becoming scarce in Calif with the color and options I want. There are plenty of them in other states. Help please.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by c6rod
Can anything be done to get an out of state, new Corvette registered in California?? It seems that if the car is not YF5 California emmissions equiped it is impossible unless a used car with 7500+ miles. I find this hard to believe. Can California dealers import an out of state car and equip it with YF5 to make the sale? I am asking because I want a 2010 GS coupe and they are becoming scarce in Calif with the color and options I want. There are plenty of them in other states. Help please.
Most Vettes are 50 state legal in 2002 we bought a C5 Z06 from an out of state dealer and brought it right in with it's 50 state emissions certification on the window sticker. Maybe the laws have changed since then but, I doubt it. Be preparred to cut a BIG CHECK for sales tax on the Vette when you go to register it
Old 10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
lgm118icbm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the car does not have the California emissions sticker on it (regardless of physical equipment), you can not bring it in unless it has over 7,500 miles on it.

If it does have the California approved sticker, then you can bring in in with less than 7,500 miles but you will have to pay California sales tax when you register it here.

It prevents people from going somewhere else to bypass California sales tax or emissions requirements.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:28 PM
GM-4-LIFE
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I was able to bring in non-YF5 Corvettes into California brand new with less than 7,500 miles on them and all was needed was a smog check and a DMV inspection and I was able to register the cars. You will need to pay CA sales tax and license fees unless the selling dealer collected them for you.

I have done this several times since 2000 as all GM vehicles are 50 state legal as of the 2001 and later model years.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Tom's_03SVT
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lgm118icbm
If the car does not have the California emissions sticker on it (regardless of physical equipment), you can not bring it in unless it has over 7,500 miles on it.
If it does have the California approved sticker, then you can bring in in with less than 7,500 miles but you will have to pay California sales tax when you register it here.

It prevents people from going somewhere else to bypass California sales tax or emissions requirements.
Unless you're AD military...

Get notified of new replies

To Registering an out of state car in California

Quick Reply: Registering an out of state car in California