C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire pressure monitors = crap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tire pressure monitors = crap

So about a week ago I woke up and left for work, and I get the "LOW TIRE PRESSURE" (or whatever) warning, saying my Left Rear tire is at like 16 psi. I usually have them all at 35 psi, so I thought it was weird.

I went to a local Firestone dealer by my house, and the guy checked all 4 tires... they were all at 35 psi... and when I screwed the cap back on the Left Rear (the supposed "low" tire) the warning went away and it showed back at 35 psi on my DIC.

It's been fine since then, until this morning when I leave. Again, I get the warning... but this time it's "FLAT TIRE"!! And the monitor says the Left Rear tire (same one as before) is at 5 psi. I get out and check again, and it's fine. I even unscrew the cap and put it back again... doesn't remove the warning. So I just figure I'll take it to the dealer on Friday to get the sensor checked out. I drive my normal route to work, ignoring the "55 MPH" warnings and I go about 75-80 on the way to work.

On my lunch break I'm walking out to my car, and I see that the RIGHT REAR TIRE is flat!! I friggin drove to work at 80 MPH on a flat tire because of this piece of sh*t!! I drove to my local gas station and filled it up to around 30 psi to check the sensor on the DIC... and it's obvious now that the sensors are SWITCHED on my back wheels. How the hell would this happen? I could have had a serious accident because of these goddamn things...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmm... mine work pretty good. Never had a problem.

Looks like your TPMs may have gotten switched from left to right?

Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

I just had the rear tires put on about a month ago... are the sensors in the wheels or on the axle somewhere?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No explanation about how the sensors got reversed? At least you did get an accurate warning saying you had a flat tire.

I'd be sure to find out why the sensors were reversed and try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Somewhere along the way either the sensors were taught in the wrong order OR they were transferred to another set of wheels but put in the wrong location.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by LMB-C6
Somewhere along the way either the sensors were taught in the wrong order OR they were transferred to another set of wheels but put in the wrong location.
Well... the only thing I can think of is the guy took both wheels off and somehow got them mixed up when he mounted the new tires...

It's ridiculous that the sensor got a false reading last week when all the tires were physically inspected and were fine... so of course when it happened this week I didn't trust it.

I'm glad I noticed that or I would have been driving around at full speeds on a flat tire until Friday when I can take the car in...
Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyBono24
I just had the rear tires put on about a month ago... are the sensors in the wheels or on the axle somewhere?
Sounds like your tire company switched your wheels when they put the new tires on. The sensors are in the wheels.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:28 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyBono24
The sensors are mounted to the inside of the wheel and are part of the valve stem. Your tire dealer reversed them. They are programed for the location they are in. Some tire dealers and all GM dealers can reprogram them to the right location without removing them.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
7t1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just bought a Z06 and found the left front tire was going low. After putting a little soap and water on the valve it had a very slow leak. I replaced inner valve and still a small leak.Tire shop tell me i have a cracked sensor and it would have to be replaced. any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 PM
FlyBono24
Racer

Originally Posted by VET4LES
The sensors are mounted to the inside of the wheel and are part of the valve stem. Your tire dealer reversed them. They are programed for the location they are in. Some tire dealers and all GM dealers can reprogram them to the right location without removing them.
Thanks! I'll have the dealer look at them and reprogram them with the other stuff I need done...

Now to figure out if the tire is fine... I guess I'll see when I leave work if it's lost any air since lunchtime...
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I haven't even had a problem with them and I think they're crap too. We don't need that kind of system on our cars. All we need is the type that works off of the ABS system and tells you that there is a problem with 'one of the tires'. This kind of crap is going to be a lot of trouble the older these cars get.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Divvi
Burning Brakes

Take it to the dealer and have them rematch them to the car. Takes all of 30 seconds to do it.

Procedure:

1. Put the car the accessory mode by pressing the bottom of the ignition switch

2. Hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the fob until the horn chirps.

3. Hold the tool against the LF tire tire above the valve stem. Press the putton, and wait for horn chirp.

4. Repeat #3 with the remaining 3 tires, in this order: RF, RR, LR.

Done!

Had the dealer do mine for no charge yesterday since apparently not all TPS tools are made equal........
Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM
flat_out
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I haven't even had a problem with them and I think they're crap too. We don't need that kind of system on our cars. All we need is the type that works off of the ABS system and tells you that there is a problem with 'one of the tires'. This kind of crap is going to be a lot of trouble the older these cars get.
Yikes! I'm glad you didn't design my Vette. We'd still have crank windows with analog AM radios.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:40 PM
mforman42
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You actually DO need them with runflats. Of course, if you change tires so that you can visually note when a tire is low, they are kind of overkill. The system has been around for many years, and the failure rate is quite low.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,149 Posts

So your tire installer screwed up and put the wheels in a different position than they were when you bought it in. Don't blame the sensors. They are one of the most important safety devices after seat belts and air bags on new cars and thank the gov't for forcing the industry to adopt them. Knowing that the rear tires had just been replaced you should have checked the pressure in both. Shame on you.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
So your tire installer screwed up and put the wheels in a different position than they were when you bought it in. Don't blame the sensors. They are one of the most important safety devices after seat belts and air bags on new cars and thank the gov't for forcing the industry to adopt them. Knowing that the rear tires had just been replaced you should have checked the pressure in both. Shame on you.

hmmcoughbullsht...
Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Why would you think they're crap? Have you had problems? They are actually very good. With run flats it's good to know which tire is bad. Most all threads on this forum agree the tpms is accurate to within 1-2#'s. It's usually the tire dealer that doesn't reprogram the tpms correctly after changing tires. Not fault of sensor.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire pressure monitors = crap

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

I guess the other option is to just swap the 2 rear wheels around - if they are NOT directional tires.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

this really is kinda interesting, and I see where the OP has kinda "toned it down" on the anger side. that's good.

lotta things to learn from this one: tires obviously switched out and wheels or sensors traded from one side to another (guessing); sensor reading said something was wrong, but wrong side of car and no one noticed it; finally, if it's still on runflats---at 80 mph and a "flat tire" OP survived.

of all these "mistakes", my take on it is the best news is the OP is around to tell us the story. and to go get some fixin' and maybe a little "mouth action" to the person who switched out the sensors/wheels.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 PM
florida john
Burning Brakes

Are sure some of your "friends" aren't toying with you? Did you complain to you rcoworkers about the false readings? Did they let the air out of one of your tires as a prank?

Ages ago when I was a youngster, i worked with a guy who started bragging about his gas mileage. Some of us started adding a little gas to his car while at work and of course his bragging got worse. Eventually he was telling everyone about his 45 mpg car. Well, we started siphoning out gas and he couldn't bellieve that his mpg was going to hell. He went to the dealer and complained about his lousy mileage! Even when we fessed up, he refused to believe us. Creul jokes that we played on others in our youth!! This wasn't an original idea. My father had told me about his friends doing the same thing in the '50's.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure monitors = crap