C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
maxgforce
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This dealership problem is a side effect of having an awesome Vette.....that is made by a company that also makes Cobalts.

The Porsche advantage is that all of their vehicles are way above average in price and quality.

Chevy is trying to service the lousiest cars at one end of the spectrum, while also trying to meet the needs of a ZR1 owner. Such a crazy extreme when we really think about it.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ralteredstates
Wow, this forum is full of haters. I traded in a Boxster for the new Vette 3 months ago. I loved the Boxster for what it is (can out handle the Vette in its sleep) but lacked the power of the vette. The Boxster is definitely built better and I had no problems for the 4 years I owned it. I have already noticed numerous poor build quality issues with the vette...BUT...I am in love with this car. The engine and tranny are unbeatable. I don't regret for a second owning the Boxster and don't regret for a second going to the Vette. (quality problems are 1) cracks in the black sidewalls in the engine compartment, missing push pins in wheel well, paint job is missing in places(!!!)). Again, none of this tempers my feelings toward the Vette and I will enjoy the hell out of it like I did the Boxster. By the way, no one has ever dared call me a girl for driving the Boxster (at least not to my face)
Hey, some males love the Boxter and most don't, as long as you were happy, that is all that matters.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:23 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart20
And your C4 does absolutely nothing for me.....to be honest, neither does your narrow body C6. Sorry

Thats why Baskin Robbins has 36 flavors
I don't have a C4 tard.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 AM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I don't have a C4 tard.
Oh I see, it's a C3......same opinion

Last edited by ALMS21; 09-21-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

"most don't"?? Where do you get your stats?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:02 AM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me thinks that some of you folks take this forum too seriously.
All in good fun as far as I'm concerned.
The serious discussion of comparing a Boxter S to a GS was over a long time ago and the GS won as expected....... on a Corvette Forum
I wonder how a Boxter would do in the sand dunes?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesbertero
This picture is just wrong!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:17 AM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
This picture is just wrong!
Yeah, I know.
Why the hell doesn't he just pass that slowpoke Ford
Maybe you'd feel better if we washed the Vette....
Old 09-21-2010, 10:35 AM
budmont
Drifting

Location: hamilton nj "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne

Originally Posted by indyjack18
I just ordered a 2011 GS vert..... Cuz it's America's sports car, and I'm American
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, I know.
Why the hell doesn't he just pass that slowpoke Ford
Ahhh yes...I feel much better now!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
rexracerx9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zmonster
I assume since this is a Vette forum, the Vette will win out, but can anyone with experience driving both of these cars comment on how they compare in all areas? A fully loaded GS convertible ends up at $75K MSRP. The base Boxster S with the same options as Vette (and a few more the Vette doesn't offer) also ends up around $75K. So both cars are basically the same price, with the Vette giving 4.0s 0-60, and the Boxster giving 5.0s.

The Boxster appears to be much more refined on the inside, and both cars have their ups/downs in terms of exterior appearance. Vette has more trunk space with top up or down, but interior and seats on Vette are low quality. I drove the Vette (both manual and automatic) and it is a nice, solid, stable and smooth ride. I have yet to test drive the Boxster S. I have narrowed my second "fun" car search down to these two, so any input would be appreciated. I assume the Porsche would hold its value more, but maybe not? I also don't want to get into a Vette if they are going to release the C7 in the next 1-2 years...
Try to forget the published 0-60, 1/4 mile, or other performance specs on your test drives. The seat of your pants will make it really obvious as to which you really like initially. What provides more long term enjoyment is another thing all together. I suspect you will be impressed and floored by the HP/TQ of the C6. Most people notice the violent power of a Vette first. You will probably notice the fit and finish and then the telepathic steering and confidence inspiring balance and handling of the Porsche first. Seating position is something people on forums usually do not brag about, power or published numbers are easier to quantify. Seating position is as important as anything else. In the C6 you sit at least 15" farther back because the engine is in front. You have to pull up farther at intersections to see and the nose of the C6 sticks out farther into traffic as a result. In the mid-engine Boxster you are sitting almost on top of the front wheels. The seating position in the Boxster makes it easier to place the car on the correct line. The Boxster is a very easy car to drive fast and you are a lot less prone to getting into any real trouble. Any car should be respected but the C6 demands more with it's huge torque reserves and larger performance envelope.

Both cars are among the best in the world at any price, you really can't make a bad decision. I will say this, the C6 was one of the BEST road trip car I ever had. Lots of room, comfort, and storage. The MPG was simply mind boggling for the performance, I think I got 27 MPG on one road trip to the Tail of the Dragon in my '07?

I would seriously consider a Cayman S w/ PDK also. I can understand not wanting to get into a C6 if the new C7 is expected soon.

Customer service can be spotty across the board. I know of a few Porsche dealers that could learn a few things from Chevy dealers. I think Corvette owners might get better treatment then a regular Chevy customer. That has been my experience local dealers. My experience with EVS, my Corvette dealer has been nothing short of exceptional. I am in Chicago and I'd actually drive up to EVS in WI for service for anything more then a oil change. They are that good.

Last edited by rexracerx9; 09-22-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Wow, this forum is full of haters.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

and I'm sure it's all hugs and kisses for the Vette on the P Car board

Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by cduckworth
I've experienced service at several Chevrolet dealerships with previous Corvettes. Nearly all episodes have been bad-the poor workmanship has been matched only by the bad attituamandade. I've gone with non-dealership shops and a Cadillac dealership and have been pleased. The Vette costs as much as the Porsche, so why shouldn't customer service be equal or better? GM needs to address this if the "new GM" is going to survive. I hope that happens, but it remains to be seen. Otherwise, a huge bailout will go for naught.
Based on my experience, GM HAS addressed it for over 24 years.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

she can hold my hose any time....
Old 09-21-2010, 10:04 PM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

and I'm sure it's all hugs and kisses for the Vette on the P Car board

Funny you should write that. I was on a large Porsche Forum for 4+ years and don't remember any comments about the Vette. They just were not concerned about putting down other cars to make themselves feel better. The same goes for the many years I was active on the Bimmer Forum. As a matter of fact, most comments about other cars were based on praise for their qualities.

Last edited by ralteredstates; 09-21-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Funny you should write that. I was on a large Porsche Forum for 4+ years and don't remember any comments about the Vette. They just were not concerned about putting down other cars to make themselves feel better. The same goes for the many years I was active on the Bimmer Forum. As a matter of fact, most comments about other cars were based on praise for their qualities.
Now you just spread it on too thick this time...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 AM
ralteredstates
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racer44
Now you just spread it on too thick this time...

As I said on my first post (and you prove it), too many haters. If you think it's BS then check out those forums yourself. You seem too obsessed in patting yourself on the back for buying a Vette. The other forums focus on improving their cars and knowledge about their cars. Don't get me wrong, there seem to be many people on this form that strive for just that but you seem driven to put down others. Grow up

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

As I said on my first post (and you prove it), too many haters. If you think it's BS then check out those forums yourself. You seem too obsessed in patting yourself on the back for buying a Vette. The other forums focus on improving their cars and knowledge about their cars. Don't get me wrong, there seem to be many people on this form that strive for just that but you seem driven to put down others. Grow up
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

I hope you have something else worthwhile to do with your time.
We just like to have fun around here.
If somebody posts a picture of the pink Barbie Vette, most of us don't get our noses bent out of joint.
Real car guy/gals can dish it out and take it like big boys and girls.
A little fun never hurt anybody.
After all IT'S JUST A CAR DUDE
Old 09-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

I hope you have something else worthwhile to do with your time.
We just like to have fun around here.
If somebody posts a picture of the pink Barbie Vette, most of us don't get our noses bent out of joint.
Real car guy/gals can dish it out and take it like big boys and girls.
A little fun never hurt anybody.
After all IT'S JUST A CAR DUDE

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S