C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by C6-XTSY
The posts in this thread are hilarious.

Boxster S specs:
0-60: 4.1 seconds
0-100: 10.3 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.6 seconds @ 110

Boxster is plenty fast.

The Grand Spork will beat the Boxster S in a straight line but judging by the amount of slow driving, automatic wielding vette owners I see on the road a few tenths won't matter. A tweaked Mustang can beat a vette in a straight line. Big deal. It's the overall driving experience that matters unless you spend your time driving on a track for money.

Handling is better in a Boxster than a vette. Especially in turns that are bumpy where the vette's rear end gets skittish due to leaf springs.

Steering, braking, and shifting feel is miles better in a Boxster than a vette. You won't find any review from any reputable source say otherwise.

Mid-engine handling feel in the Boxster trumps front-engine vette and even rear-engine 911.

Fit and finish is miles better in a Boxster than a vette.

Boxster has better weight balance 46F/54R than a vette 51F/49R (hint: more weight in the back means better hookup on acceleration and better balance on braking). 50/50 weight distribution only looks good on paper.

Seats are light years better in a Boxster unless you're an overweight old man, in which case you're in the demographic the vette seats were designed for. This is not a put down but a fact. To be fair, the seats probably make it easier to get in while wearing the gold chains and member's only jackets as well.

4 year warranty for the Boxster is better than vette's 3 year warranty.

Sevice at Porsche is miles better than any Chevy dealer. And you'll see less of the service bay in the Boxster judging from the posts here regarding the vette's build quality.

The Boxster is universally praised as one of the very best driving cars available by the motoring press. Hardly any car has received such unanimous praise. Certainly not the vette.

As for the Boxster being a poor man's Porsche, that's pretty funny considering the GS is a poor man's Z06. And a Z06 is a poor man's ZR1. And all vettes share, among other things, a steering wheel with a Malibu.
Your comments are flawed, your facts are flawed, real Porsche owners, do not endorse Boxters, they loathe them.
Boxters were developed to tap into the women and ghey market (fact), which I do give Porsche credit for.

Last edited by Racer; 09-19-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: terrible, terrible rushed spelling on my part.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

I parked next to a Boxster (taking up 2 spots..WTF?) at the beer store yesterday..that car is a joke..definitely a chick car..all the guys at the store were laughing their asses off as we both fired up our engines (well I think his engine was on ??) to leave...NO RESPECT...trust me
Old 09-19-2010, 12:00 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Racer44

That 430 is the bomb...watched the "Ultimate Factories" 599 GTB show on National Geo yesterday ....awesome..

Gots' to get me one of them.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Boxster S specs:

Boxster is plenty fast.

The Grand Spork will beat the Boxster S in a straight line but judging by the amount of slow driving, automatic wielding vette owners I see on the road a few tenths won't matter. A tweaked Mustang can beat a vette in a straight line. Big deal. It's the overall driving experience that matters unless you spend your time driving on a track for money.

Handling is better in a Boxster than a vette. Especially in turns that are bumpy where the vette's rear end gets skittish due to leaf springs.

Steering, braking, and shifting feel is miles better in a Boxster than a vette. You won't find any review from any reputable source say otherwise.

Mid-engine handling feel in the Boxster trumps front-engine vette and even rear-engine 911.

Boxster has better weight balance 46F/54R than a vette 51F/49R (hint: more weight in the back means better hookup on acceleration and better balance on braking). 50/50 weight distribution only looks good on paper.

Seats are light years better in a Boxster unless you're an overweight old man, in which case you're in the demographic the vette seats were designed for. This is not a put down but a fact. To be fair, the seats probably make it easier to get in while wearing the gold chains and member's only jackets as well.

Sevice at Porsche is miles better than any Chevy dealer. And you'll see less of the service bay in the Boxster judging from the posts here regarding the vette's build quality.

The Boxster is universally praised as one of the very best driving cars available by the motoring press. Hardly any car has received such unanimous praise. Certainly not the vette.

As for the Boxster being a poor man's Porsche, that's pretty funny considering the GS is a poor man's Z06. And a Z06 is a poor man's ZR1. And all vettes share, among other things, a steering wheel with a Malibu.
Let's see ,Last thread was 07/2004.Pretty much says it all.What do you drive now? BTW it's the stock shocks that cause the rear end to be skidish not the leaf? "transverse springs" And don't get me started about Cali.Bay Area
Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Let's see ,Last thread was 07/2004.Pretty much says it all.What do you drive now? BTW it's the stock shocks that cause the rear end to be skidish not the leaf? "transverse springs" And don't get me started about Cali.Bay Area
It kind of throws him out as a "reputable source". I'll rather live with the gold chain / overweight repuation then drive one of the ultimate chic cars. That was a statement from Tanner Faust when he drove a Boxster on the way to meet a Porsche GT owner. Even the GT owner tore up the Boxster pretty good. I find it amazing that he came back to the CF after 6 years only to post crap. I hope he is enjoying his girlie car.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Surf Twang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boxster S specs:

Boxster is plenty fast.

You forgot to mention the IMS failures, RMS failures, defective block casting, and self-destructing engines Porsche has endowed the Boxster with.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
C6-XTSY
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer44
Your comments are flawed, your facts are flawed, real Porsche owners, do not endorse Boxters, they loathe them.
Boxters were developed to tap into the women and ghey market (fact), which I do give Porsche credit for.
Here's R&T's numbers for you. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...xster_s_page_6 Sorry but you're wrong.

And what's a real Porsche owner exactly? One who's a badge hound poser or one that owns an air cooled car worth $20K? And how does this relate to how well the Boxster drives? Hint: it doesn't.

Originally Posted by 05dsom
I parked next to a Boxster (taking up 2 spots..WTF?) at the beer store yesterday..that car is a joke..definitely a chick car..all the guys at the store were laughing their asses off as we both fired up our engines (well I think his engine was on ??) to leave...NO RESPECT...trust me
Some people don't need their cars to compensate their manhood. Like a loud engine means anything? Maybe to impress "the guys". Some aren't out to "impress" and get "respect" from "the guys". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
I don't post a lot. But I do read CF. And I do like the vette. Doesn't mean the vette is perfect, doesn't mean I can't criticize it and doesn't mean what I said is not valid. Shocks or leaf springs...does it matter? It's still skittish from the factory.

The Bay Area is great. Wish more people living here would hate it and leave as it's a little crowded sometimes. So I thank you for not liking the Bay Area and not living here.

Originally Posted by Surf Twang
You forgot to mention the IMS failures, RMS failures, defective block casting, and self-destructing engines Porsche has endowed the Boxster with.
Porous blocks were a first gen problem. RMS first and second gen. Note that these issues also affected the 911 and not just the Boxster. Regardless, we're talking about the latest gen Boxsters with a new DFI engine so why would I mention it? Do try and keep up.

But if you want to talk about prior engine issues, Porsche has replaced (for free or heavily discounted) engines that have blown up. Some even way out of warranty.

Do you want to talk about Z06 engines grenading as well? DBS? Flying roof? How well do you think GM will treat you once the car is out of warranty? Or even in warranty for that matter.

Lighten up and enjoy your cars, whatever you drive.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Here's R&T's numbers for you. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...xster_s_page_6 Sorry but you're wrong.

And what's a real Porsche owner exactly? One who's a badge hound poser or one that owns an air cooled car worth $20K? And how does this relate to how well the Boxster drives? Hint: it doesn't.

Some people don't need their cars to compensate their manhood. Like a loud engine means anything? Maybe to impress "the guys". Some aren't out to "impress" and get "respect" from "the guys". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I don't post a lot. But I do read CF. And I do like the vette. Doesn't mean the vette is perfect, doesn't mean I can't criticize it and doesn't mean what I said is not valid. Shocks or leaf springs...does it matter? It's still skittish from the factory.

The Bay Area is great. Wish more people living here would hate it and leave as it's a little crowded sometimes. So I thank you for not liking the Bay Area and not living here.

Porous blocks were a first gen problem. RMS first and second gen. Note that these issues also affected the 911 and not just the Boxster. Regardless, we're talking about the latest gen Boxsters with a new DFI engine so why would I mention it? Do try and keep up.

But if you want to talk about prior engine issues, Porsche has replaced (for free or heavily discounted) engines that have blown up. Some even way out of warranty.

Do you want to talk about Z06 engines grenading as well? DBS? Flying roof? How well do you think GM will treat you once the car is out of warranty? Or even in warranty for that matter.

Lighten up and enjoy your cars, whatever you drive.
Oh, I see why you like the Boxter, is that number still about 10%?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 05dsom
Racer44

That 430 is the bomb...watched the "Ultimate Factories" 599 GTB show on National Geo yesterday ....awesome..

Gots' to get me one of them.
Thanks, it's no Boxter but I like it.
Yea, I went through the Corvette Plant with my wife , she even got to give birth to a Vette when we were there, very cool, also watched the Corvette assembly plant show...
Having said that, the Ferrari plant is a whole different ball game all together. My wife and I are going to Italy and I have an oppurtunity to go on an owners tour of their plant, should be very cool also.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Oh, I see why you like the Boxter, is that number still about 10%?
You are totally obsessed with the "ghey" aren't you? Do we have a closet *** in our presense?
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Stewart20
You are totally obsessed with the "ghey" aren't you? Do we have a closet *** in our presense?
Pretty much the exact opposite----I would be leaning towards HOMOfobiac.... I like women, women with nice boobies.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I'd bet you dinner at a nice restaurant that MOST people would see a Boxter and a 911 and think they are the same car. I consider myself an expert car spotter, and when I see a Boxter, Cayman, or 911 coming at me I don't know which it is until I see it from the side.
Most people on the street couldn't even tell which one of these is the Porsche let alone the difference between the models.

Porsche or Toyota?

Yes, they are different and to a car lover they are easier to spot, but to the "man on the street?"
Old 09-19-2010, 10:05 PM
C6-XTSY
Racer

Pretty much the exact opposite----I would be leaning towards HOMOfobiac.... I like women, women with nice boobies.
Sure seems like there's some latent...issues? Looking back at all your posts in this thread, you never talk about the cars. It's all about gheys, about how other men will perceive you by the car you drive, being a badge hound, and the like. You don't have matching handbags to go with your cars do you?

And for the record, I love women. But I don't need to go around announcing it to try and assure myself or to boost a fragile ego. Rather spend time driving a car I enjoy driving vs worrying what other people think and trying to impress others.

Like I said, enjoy your cars and thanks for the laughs.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Boxters are ghey
Old 09-20-2010, 12:14 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

...I like women, women with nice boobies.
Yea, I went through the Corvette Plant with my wife , she even got to give birth to a Vette when we were there...
And apparently, you prefer large hoohahs as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vant
And apparently, you prefer large hoohahs as well.
A new high in CF discussion
Had to Google "hooha" just for kicks.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hoo-hah
see second entry
Gotta love it

Oh, and so far Ten-Zing gets the most accurate post award IMHO.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:55 PM
maxgforce
Advanced

Is this thread serious????

My Subaru STI blows away most Boxster S's.....how do I know? Because I've encountered them on highways and in the canyons. My STI rips them to shreds.....I've even taken some modded 911 Carrera's with the Subaru!

And my Vette GS (even before all my mods) was quite a bit faster than my STI. Now with my mods done, forget it.......the Vette leaves the STI in the dust by a big margin.

So put those FACTS together, the Vette absolutely destroys the Boxster. The Boxster handles well, much like Lotus Elise and Miata cars do.....which would be a good 3 cars to compare.

Oh, and I currently also own a 500hp (and only 2800lbs....do the math) Porsche 911 RSR with full cage and fire system if anyone wants to buy it.....for sale on AutoKennel.com.....it destroys most modern 911's completely.

Porsche 911 guys love Boxsters......they buy them for their wives all the time!!!

Bottom line? You want to compare a Vette to a Porsche? It better be a GT3, GT2, or Twin Turbo or the Porsche doesn't stand a chance. Forget what the magazines say. My 911 was in Excellence Magazine two years ago, and even they got some facts wrong.

Otherwise, we're all just talking silly.......Vette destroys Boxster.......END OF STORY.

Last edited by maxgforce; 09-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by maxgforce
Is this thread serious????

My Subaru STI blows away most Boxster S's.....how do I know? Because I've raced many of them on highways and in the canyons. My STI rips them to shreds.....I've even beaten some modded 911 Carrera's with the Subaru!

And my Vette GS (even before all my mods) was quite a bit faster than my STI. Now with my mods done, forget it.......the Vette leaves the STI in the dust by a big margin.

So put those FACTS together, the Vette absolutely destroys the Boxster. The Boxster handles well, much like Lotus Elise and Miata cars do.....which would be a good 3 cars to compare.

Oh, and I currently also own a 500hp (and only 2800lbs....do the math) Porsche 911 RSR with full cage and fire system if anyone wants to buy it.....for sale on AutoKennel.com.....it destroys most modern 911's completely.

Porsche 911 guys love Boxsters......they buy them for their wives all the time!!!

Bottom line? You want to compare a Vette to a Porsche? It better be a GT3, GT2, or Twin Turbo or the Porsche doesn't stand a chance. Forget what the magazines say. My 911 was in Excellence Magazine two years ago, and even they got some facts wrong.

Otherwise, we're all just talking silly.......Vette destroys Boxster.......END OF STORY.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:02 PM
maxgforce
Advanced

Oh one more thing.

Not to be a wise ***, but isn't the Miata the sports car that has been most adored by the press for almost 20 years? More awards than anything in automotive history?

So perhaps all of us should sell our Vettes and 911's and Boxsters and Ferrari's immediately.

We all overpaid. And if you only want "fun" driving, the Miata is very fun.

Kind of like a moped.

But I'm not going to sell my 1000cc Honda VTwin Race Motorcycle any time soon either. Because it absolutely slays any and all mopeds!!!!

Just food for thought.......
Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by maxgforce
Oh one more thing.

Not to be a wise ***, but isn't the Miata the sports car that has been most adored by the press for almost 20 years? More awards than anything in automotive history?

So perhaps all of us should sell our Vettes and 911's and Boxsters and Ferrari's immediately.

We all overpaid. And if you only want "fun" driving, the Miata is very fun.

Kind of like a moped.

But I'm not going to sell my 1000cc Honda VTwin Race Motorcycle any time soon either. Because it absolutely slays any and all mopeds!!!!

Just food for thought.......
food = good

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Sport Convertible vs. Porsche Boxster S