C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

corvette manual wont start and throws multiple codes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corvette manual wont start and throws multiple codes.

Hey everyone, I have a 2005 c6 with the z-51 package option with 37000 Miles on it. The car will not start up, Only lights come on. I depressed the clutch all the way and only the dash is lit. also, it sometimes throws multiple codes like service column lock, shocks inoperative, low fuel, service vehicle soon, and something with traction control. I did the service active handling recall. Also i have the priority start in case of dbs which helped me get in the car easier. I did get the car started once with about 20 tries. Then shut off the car put it in reverse. Got out and it chimed at me 3 times. got back in, and it wont start again. any help would be appreciated, what do you guys think is the problem.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

BATTERY!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Is the battery good?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TMiles c6
Hey everyone, I have a 2005 c6 with the z-51 package option with 37000 Miles on it. The car will not start up, Only lights come on. I depressed the clutch all the way and only the dash is lit. also, it sometimes throws multiple codes like service column lock, shocks inoperative, low fuel, service vehicle soon, and something with traction control. I did the service active handling recall. Also i have the priority start in case of dbs which helped me get in the car easier. I did get the car started once with about 20 tries. Then shut off the car put it in reverse. Got out and it chimed at me 3 times. got back in, and it wont start again. any help would be appreciated, what do you guys think is the problem.
throw the manual (book) away they don't run so good any way does sound like a weak battery in all honesty though
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Hahah thanks for the reply guys. It has been drained completely once. dad left it in neutral. I think i'm gonna pick up a optima battery. You guys think the yellow one is necessary or the red one is fine?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Hahah thanks for the reply guys. It has been drained completely once. dad left it in neutral. I think i'm gonna pick up a optima battery. You guys think the yellow one is necessary or the red one is fine?
How old is the battery? You might as well buy a battery maintainer now. A $20 Shumacher from WalMart is just fine. You might hook a maintainer up to the battery for a day or three and see if it saves it.

AC Delco Professional battery works just fine but spend what you want.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Its the battery! You can get a red or yellow top or for that matter, a Sears, Interstate, etc. Just make sure you get the one for your car and invest in a battery tender if you don't drive the car frequently for 30 minutes or more. It takes that long for the system to replace the starting amps you use to get her going! Don't forget to reindex your windows once you hook up the new battery. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
How old is the battery? You might as well buy a battery maintainer now. A $20 Shumacher from WalMart is just fine. You might hook a maintainer up to the battery for a day or three and see if it saves it.

AC Delco Professional battery works just fine but spend what you want.
Bought the car used, so I have not idea how old it is.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:25 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Bought the car used, so I have not idea how old it is.
You do know that there may be date markings on it? No big deal, a new battery isn't that expensive. You may want to make sure it hasn't been leaking.

FYI..Optimas are considered by many here to be over-rated and overly expensive. Do a search.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 09-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Thanks for your advice guys. Time to invest in a new battery. Its still dead in my driveway. Hoping it is the battery and not ecu or something complex or else
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Just wondering, even though i tried to jump start it and it failed, is it still just a bad battery that is most likely the cause of it? Its being replaced no matter what, but could it also be a bad relay or ecu not communicating with the start up sequence properly?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:57 PM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondering, even though i tried to jump start it and it failed, is it still just a bad battery that is most likely the cause of it? Its being replaced no matter what, but could it also be a bad relay or ecu not communicating with the start up sequence properly?
You can take the battery out and take it to Wal Mart. They will check the battery for free to see it is infact bad like a dead cell or just gone. Being it went dead once it more than likely is just the battery but they will check it for free. Worth the short trip to them if you have one near you.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
TMiles c6
Cruising

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
You can take the battery out and take it to Wal Mart. They will check the battery for free to see it is infact bad like a dead cell or just gone. Being it went dead once it more than likely is just the battery but they will check it for free. Worth the short trip to them if you have one near you.
Im going to do that. just got to find time around my work schedule.70-80 a week
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM
SunnyVette21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In XI Veteran

I agree with everyone who has commented, it is the battery. I just experienced this very thing in February of this year. I had all the codes you are describing. It was a dead battery. When I had the battery replaced I had a Battery Maintainer hard wired to the battery so I just have to plug in the plug and take the connector and attach it to the one in the engine compartment. Easy squeezey lemon peezie
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

You might want to put a sign by the shifter or starter button that says: "Car MUST be put in REVERSE and the E-BRAKE ENGAGED before shutting car off!" Some people have this sign for when anyone does work on the car who may not realize this has to happen.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:15 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

With a low battery, nothing works right.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

And, even a new battery is likely to be a problem if it's insufficiently charged... so put your new battery on a battery tender/maintainer/charger and make sure it's fully charged.

Get notified of new replies

To corvette manual wont start and throws multiple codes.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:37 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
And, even a new battery is likely to be a problem if it's insufficiently charged... so put your new battery on a battery tender/maintainer/charger and make sure it's fully charged.
I put a Optima RED top in mine.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Totally
Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The key is that it is throwing all those unrelated codes...that's the classic symptom of low voltage...battery!

Quick Reply: corvette manual wont start and throws multiple codes.