C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might trade corvette in for a camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I'll take my lumps....that's a badass looking car. To bad the goofy interior designers didn't match the body style.
Me too..I'd take this car any day over a Mustang...if I was lookin'. My Vette beats 'em both easily.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
9c1ny
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I have owned both, '10 Camaro is awesome but the Vette kills it hands down
Old 09-01-2010, 01:45 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
Buggatti Veyron = 4160 lb
German engineering Then again, 4 turbos, 16 cyl motor and all wheel drive do weigh a bit None is present in camaro or challenger though...
Old 09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exactly the responses I'd expect from the CORVETTE Forum...

...and I'm not saying that's a BAD thing!

I actually just traded my '06 A6 for a 2011 Camaro SS/RS A6 and haven't regretted it...YET! For personal reasons I needed to downsize from my 09' Silverado (daily driver) and Vette to one vehicle. My options of keeping one over the other just weren't good solutions...i.e. wouldn't dream of only having a pickup to drive after 5 years of Corvettes. And no matter how wonderful the Vette is, it just wasn't a practical daily driver FOR ME. So I did the UNTHINKABLE and traded them both for the Camaro.

As a daily driver the Camaro was an excellent choice for me. At almost 6'5", it has excellent leg room and obviously more space to spread out...even though the back seat behind me is practicallly useless. At practically the same rated hp, the Camaro feels stronger but not nearly as quick and nimble as the Vette. IMHO handling is about the same. Two things that they definitely improved upon are the comfort of the seats and the A6 paddle shifters. The Camaro's paddles seem more intuitive...pull right to upshift, pull left to downshift VS the Vettes push for upshift, pull for downshift.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not choosing the Camaro OVER the Vette. Again IMHO, they are two VERY different cars. I'm just saying that for the money the Camaro is a very worthy alternative to a Corvette.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if leaving corvette, man leave GM all together and get a
foreign sports coupe or sedan. GM stuff is going to be like
a Mustang, see one on every corner. Along with used lots
flooded with them in a year or two. Beside a vette is not
even in the same league as a camaro. Its a high school
kids car. Or a V6 beginners car. The look will get old in
another year.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
I actually had some 20ish yr old kid in a new camero give me wave today. I did wave back since I am not a snob, but that made me laugh. I am guessing there is something called the "Chevy Wave" now?

Personally, if I was to do a retro car, it would be a Charger/Challenger...I like the looks of those over the camero and stang.
I had a guy in a silver Camaro wave at me recently at an intersection as he passed by, i was at the stoplight in my C6. I dont know if he had a vette back in his garage or if he just had an appreciation for cars (i suspect the latter) but i was happy to return his wave.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozone

I actually just traded my '06 A6 for a 2011 Camaro SS/RS A6 and haven't regretted it...YET! For personal reasons I needed to downsize from my 09' Silverado (daily driver) and Vette to one vehicle. My options of keeping one over the other just weren't good solutions...i.e. wouldn't dream of only having a pickup to drive after 5 years of Corvettes. And no matter how wonderful the Vette is, it just wasn't a practical daily driver FOR ME. So I did the UNTHINKABLE and traded them both for the Camaro.

As a daily driver the Camaro was an excellent choice for me. At almost 6'5", it has excellent leg room and obviously more space to spread out...even though the back seat behind me is practicallly useless. At practically the same rated hp, the Camaro feels stronger but not nearly as quick and nimble as the Vette. IMHO handling is about the same. Two things that they definitely improved upon are the comfort of the seats and the A6 paddle shifters. The Camaro's paddles seem more intuitive...pull right to upshift, pull left to downshift VS the Vettes push for upshift, pull for downshift.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not choosing the Camaro OVER the Vette. Again IMHO, they are two VERY different cars. I'm just saying that for the money the Camaro is a very worthy alternative to a Corvette.
Interesting insight...Thanks and I agree...the new 2010 camaro SS is a cool ride and would make a better daily driver than the vette..and the little back seat would come in handy from time to time too...

Still the vettes a true two seat sports car and thats hard to beat for fun.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Ettev01
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
I have to agree here too! Drive them both, or throw the Challenger in there for kicks! I think the Mustang GT is a great looking and performing car. Give it a look!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozone

I totally agree with your thinking. I own a '08 coupe, and the new style, '07 Silverado Ext. Cab. The Silverado is my gas sucking DD, and the Vette is a weekend toy. The new Camaro is eaiser drive, park, and to get in and out of. Although the back seat isn't great for passengers, it makes the interior rommier, and gives you a place to recline the front seats. Can't do that in a Vette. My old DD was a '01 Camaro SS, that I traded in on my '08 Vette. Had the new Camaro been out at that time I'd probably had bought one, because I sure loved my '01.

I'm not doing it, but since my cars are paid for, I could wholesale both the Vette and the Silverado, buy a new '11 2SS RS for like $41,200 OTD, put about $10.5K in the bank, and I'd save money on gas over driving my truck, I'd save on DMV fees, insurance, and free up a space in my garage.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ettev01
I have to agree here too! Drive them both, or throw the Challenger in there for kicks! I think the Mustang GT is a great looking and performing car. Give it a look!
I looked, they are all over the place. I don't know, for a Corvette Forum, there are sure alot of Mustang lovers here. You would think that Vette owners would be mostly Chevy guys.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Not trying to offend anyone here, but I just don't like the new Camaro. I did drive an SS with 6 speed stick (a friend bought one), and I really didn't like it, the roof felt too low, the car way too heavy, lots of blind spots. I know it's popular, but as far as the new pony cars go, I think the Challenger is hot (but also way too heavy), the Mustang a very close second (especially the '11 with the new 5.0 engine), but the Camaro a distant third. They say it's patterned after the '69 Camaro, which I've always liked, but I really don't see much '69 there. The Rolex GrandAm race car from Stevenson Motorsports looks pretty good though, and seems to be getting the job done.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
I looked, they are all over the place. I don't know, for a Corvette Forum, there are sure alot of Mustang lovers here. You would think that Vette owners would be mostly Chevy guys.
I know what you mean. I'm thinking most of us are just "car guys" like myself, I love them all, if it's a nice car, I appreciate it for what it is, no matter who makes it. My previous "toy" was a very fast Saleen S351 Mustang, probably too fast and radical for the street, but I loved it, I just was ready for something different, and my new Grand Sport filled the bill nicely, I'm liking ita lot so far. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not a Chevy guy, a Ford guy, or whatever, I'm just a car guy, I like them all.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 AM
raycer
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Vette owners are "car" guys
Old 09-02-2010, 12:22 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

I totally agree with your thinking. I own a '08 coupe, and the new style, '07 Silverado Ext. Cab. The Silverado is my gas sucking DD, and the Vette is a weekend toy. The new Camaro is eaiser drive, park, and to get in and out of. Although the back seat isn't great for passengers, it makes the interior rommier, and gives you a place to recline the front seats. Can't do that in a Vette. My old DD was a '01 Camaro SS, that I traded in on my '08 Vette. Had the new Camaro been out at that time I'd probably had bought one, because I sure loved my '01.

I'm not doing it, but since my cars are paid for, I could wholesale both the Vette and the Silverado, buy a new '11 2SS RS for like $41,200 OTD, put about $10.5K in the bank, and I'd save money on gas over driving my truck, I'd save on DMV fees, insurance, and free up a space in my garage.
Again, it's all in what you like and what works for you and your situation. I do drive my GS a bit, not every day, but I do intend on using it. I do have alternative vehicles too, a new GMC Sierra 4WD Ext cab, and my wife's '10 Mercedes C63, plus a company vehicle. I also sold my previous toy, paid cash for the Grand Sport, and banked a bit. Good luck, and I hope it works out for you.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by raycer
Vette owners are "car" guys
I am a "car" guy, a "Vette" owner and I am proud to be a Mustang "HATER"
Old 09-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I know what you mean. I'm thinking most of us are just "car guys" like myself, I love them all, if it's a nice car, I appreciate it for what it is, no matter who makes it. My previous "toy" was a very fast Saleen S351 Mustang, probably too fast and radical for the street, but I loved it, I just was ready for something different, and my new Grand Sport filled the bill nicely, I'm liking ita lot so far. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not a Chevy guy, a Ford guy, or whatever, I'm just a car guy, I like them all.
Wouldn't it just be peachy if we all cheered for all the cars, no matter what brand in Auto Racing . ALMS we could cheer for the Corvette and when the Viper passed it for the lead we could roar with applause and clapping and so on, and so on. I don't think so Tim. Brand rivalries and loyalties make/made racing etc what it is today. A true car guy likes his cars, doesn't at all have to like all cars.

By the way, here is the definition of a true car enthusiast as I posted before...
A car enthusiast is somebody who has an unusual preoccupation with their car, wants to spend time with that car, wants to bathe the car, wants to love it, wants to make it look as good as it can possibly look, and go as fast as it can go. The hobby breaks up into two directions: either they want to make the car exactly original, the way it was when it was brand new, or they want to customize it and personalize it in some fashion. In either case they spend a large amount of their discretionary time with their car.

They are fixated on their cars and love to be with car guys and share their stories - why they did this or that. They love to take the car and drive it either to a car show or just down the street and have people giving them the thumbs up signs and saying how cool their car is. It becomes a part of their personality.

A lot of times, their favorite car was their first car when they were teenagers and they have some wonderful memories associated with that car. My favorite car is a '57 Chevy, and it happens that was the first car I had when I was 16. I learned to drive in that car and all my first driving experience is in that car. When I get in a '57 Chevy all the memories come back and I feel 16 again.

So there are all kinds of reasons why people, girls and guys, become car enthusiasts. But the defining element is that cars get them so excited and they just can't spend enough time working on them and loving them. For instance, someone who is not a car enthusiast looks at waxing the car as work. For the car enthusiast, it's fun.

A car enthusiast is someone who when they get really strung out and really uptight they go their garage, they pull up a chair and sit down and just stare at the lines of one of their favorite cars. They just admire the styling of the car and it settles them down. It takes another car guy to understand that and that's why they like to hang out together.

Last edited by Racer; 09-02-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Might trade corvette in for a camaro?

Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I agree..and I'm on my third new corvette..

Great car yet others are cool choices out there these days..

How do you like your wifes c63? Nice hot rod luxury car I would imagine..
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomzarbo
Schmegeggie,

I do respect your opinion, and I concede that the Miata is seriously down on power when compared to the Vette, in fact, it's not even close...
But to me, driving the Miata was a blast because I could use 9/10ths of it's power on the street and enjoyed blasting through the gears, all of them. I was very involved in the driving process in the Miata and it's shifter was the best of the two, even though I had a first year Miata.

When I step down on the Vette in second gear, I'm already over the speed limit and need to get into a cruising gear. It's a shame the speed limit isn't 120 MPH on US roads! I just can't use most of what the Vette has to offer on the streets -- in the Miata, I could.

On the other hand, to say the Camaro is a step down unconditionally really doesn't hold water with me. It's all about preference. I haven't sat in one, let alone driven one. I think I would be really cramped in one, and it looks like visibility would be an issue as well, but I can see how some would really like it.

Personally, I think I'd rather sit in a Challenger, no offense to the Chevy fans here. It has the retro thing down almost perfect in my opinion.

But yeah, I guess the Vette is something of an automotive legend. I was just looking at mine a few minutes ago, and it is a special car. It doesn't announce it's GM-ness at all, just it's Vette-ness -- if you know what I mean. It's GM's crowning achievement and what it can do is really amazing for the price. 30MPG and 0-60 faster than I can say "Holy Cow!"

Take 'er easy,

TomZ
TomZ
I'll agree with your using all it's power analogy. She first owned a gen.1 Maita, now has an '03 with some mods, giving it about 155HP. You're right in that you can put it to the floor and probably not spin out, like a Vette. Really no comparison. It is fun to drive, I think because it basically a 150HP go-cart!
Yeah, the Camaro is cool looking and has the LS3. To me the space inside was fine, but for as low as you sit I felt like a kid walking up to a bar!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Schoolteacher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I went to the dealer when the new camaro came out. I wanted to show him a zr1, unfortunetly there werent any, but there was a brand new 2010 camaro v6 on the showroom floor. We were curious so we checked it out. A salesman came over and talked to me about the car, and I asked him if he had any ss models to look at and he said that he didn't. Then he asked me if he could order me one and I simply said " why would i do that I drive a vette."

Quick Reply: Might trade corvette in for a camaro?