C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GS vs. 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PF 48 is the wrong filter for the GS.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an 1997 997S with a fair amount of options and it was $97K out the door (in December 2006). I drove it for two years before selling it and buying another Z06.

It was a fun car, but I never bonded with it: It didn't have the power I wanted. I would have to get a turbo for that, which was too much money.

Here in the Bay Area, there are easily 8 911s for every Z06 I see and probably 4 to 1 for other C6s.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:14 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Not_Bald_Yet
What made you choose your Vette over a Porsche 911? Would you do it again?
I didn't, I have both...well ok the wife has the 911 and I have the vette...when she bought her 06 911 (with GT3 aero kit) used, I still had my 05 c6 with headers and tuned. So, that makes me an "expert" in the comparision (lol).

It is going to come down to many things, and not all about performance, but, I know the only two things I wish the 911 had was: more power (we have the 325hp version) and I'm not a big fan of the seats (to small for me, I get uncomfortable quickly -took a 6h road trip shotgun, never again!).
Other than that, I would preffer the 911 over the C6, as long as the 911 has the GT3 aero kit (whale tale) and upgraded rims. That makes the car for me, without, I'm not so sure I would like it at all...none the less the interior of the 911 has a better finish and feel to it.
We keep the alignment on the 911 fairly aggressive, so don't plan on getting much more than 15k miles from the tires.
Other than that, it really comes down to taste and what level of performance you want.
For example: our 911 with me driving and shifting it correctly (took a few trials lol) will be a driver's race with an LS2 GTO with headers and tune...big key word is "shifting correctly". If I undershift it, or slightly bump the limitier, I loose, if I get it right, and provided I get to jump ahead on the down shift, then I'll stay ahead...(this of course, on my own 3 mile private driveway in the south of France that leads to my Chateau ). I'm pretty sure against a C6 it would loose...again, I can dead hook the 911 of the line dumping the clutch (with slipping it just a little) with no tire spin, so it's pretty lethal on the launch..
The sound of the flat 6 at 7k is pure SEX...yup, it just has that exotic sound...but at idle or lower rpms (like 3k bellow) it sounds like a cessena lol...
MPG, the 911 is on par with the C6, but I think the c6 get better highway...the wife says she gets 17 around town and about 24-26 highway.
Handling, both awesome, though the C6 feels like a cady and the 911 like a go-kart...there's more feedback to the drive in the steering department.
oh and the 911 sterro beat the snot out of any C6 sterreos (ours has a factroy sub and am in it)...a need little feature (at least for 06) is the integrated phone...all you need is a sim card (use the one from your phone or get a prepaid phone that has a sim and use that).
In short, if I did not have my Z06 and someone said pick either a base/GS C6 or a 911 with the aero kit, I would pick the 911...through in the Z06 and I'll pick that because I'm a power junky and I'm willing to "sacrifice" a little in other areas (although with the 3LZ option, it really helps the interior alot)
hope this helps -somewhat lol-
Old 08-24-2010, 06:28 PM
redls3
Pro

get the grandsport... the porshe is crap. sounds like crap and the performance sucks unless your getting a turbo.

my stock 08 ls3 speed i obliterated new porsches left and right.. especially hots shots that taught there 911 were the fastest cars on the road .

now that same ls3 is modded with full boltsons, intake and exhaust and camshaft. for 6k in mods you got a car that will eat any porsche for breakfeast plus 100k warranty and 25mpg.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Not_Bald_Yet
I'm looking at buying a Vette or a 911 CS, and I think I want the Vette. I'm smitten with its brute power and sexy lines. But for the $70K budget, man, I could get a very nice used 911 CS - which seems to be the undisputed favorite of every sports car reviewer.

I know, it doesn't matter what they think, only what I think.... but being in doubt of the soundness of my attraction to the Vette over the 911 and its legendary road feel, I'm looking for moral support here.

I'll use this car as a daily driver, and hopefully some track visits now and then. Manual tran.

What made you choose your Vette over a Porsche 911? Would you do it again?
You can save yourself money and get a brand new GS for mid to upper $50k range and thats exactly what I would do. To me Porsches are nice but I think there is much more fun to be had in a Vette.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RedLs3
get the grandsport... the porshe is crap. sounds like crap and the performance sucks unless your getting a turbo.

my stock 08 ls3 speed i obliterated new porsches left and right.. especially hots shots that taught there 911 were the fastest cars on the road .

now that same ls3 is modded with full boltsons, intake and exhaust and camshaft. for 6k in mods you got a car that will eat any porsche for breakfeast plus 100k warranty and 25mpg.
I agree about the performance but im pretty sure your 100,000 mile warranty is null and void with the cam upgrade.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have mentioned, the GS should be considerably less than $70k, so you'll be paying a less for the Vette. And long term costs will be much less with a new (under warranty) GS than a used 911. Even if you don't need any repairs, just the regular maintenance will be a big change.

One other big difference - with the GS, you could order a new one built to your specifications... and take delivery at the museum. It will make the sense of ownership very different. With the Porsche, you'll just be buying a used car, but with the Vette and museum delivery (or maybe the factory buyers tour), you'll be having a sports car made for you!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Poppa Bud
$70K?????? You're looking at a Z06 at that price instead of a GS.

I don't know where you're located, but check the C6 Dealer Inventory section of the forum.

Lots of new 2010's out there.

Well said. If you are comparing $70K for a used car, you should be comparing a used Z06 (maybe even a new Z06?) vs a used 911.

And hence - it's a no brainer.

The Z06 will smoke the 911. Hell, an LS3 C6 will beat a 911, even on aroad course. You said manual tranny, so the Z06 is still in the running. AND since yours will be a daily driver, more advantage to the Z06 - reliability (talking mechanical / drive train) and creature comforts - advantage Corvette.

And bottom line - since you're axing this question on the CForum - we all know you really want the Vette.

Have you ever owned a Corvette? If not, I suspect you are hesitant because deep down inside, you don't want to be associated with the gold chain / chest toupee crowd. Do not despair. Once you buy a Corvette, you will be VERY glad you did and you will not look back.

Buy a used C6. By buying used - you will avoid the depreciation. If you don't like it (won't happen) you can sell it for minimal loss and buy the P car.

One last thing - buy your used C6 here. You'll get a great deal from someone who pampered their car. Don't buy your used C6 from a dealer. No need to pay a middle man. There are plenty to chose from buying directly from the owner.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 08-24-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

$70K?????? You're looking at a Z06 at that price instead of a GS.

I don't know where you're located, but check the C6 Dealer Inventory section of the forum.

Lots of new 2010's out there.
True. But, you know, there seem to be some people out there who have been convinced ( or convinced themselves ) that the GS is a superior car to the Z06.

But, this was the exact thing that occurred to me when reading this post....for that money he's in a new Z06 if he shops and not very hard shopping required at that!

As for GS vs Porsche I think it's an image thing mostly. Who and what a person identifies with drives, I think, a high percentage of purchases of Porsche, BMW, Saab and similar cars.

If $70 grand is available for a toy car purchase then think about it.....haven't we seen ZR1's on sale in the mid to high 90s? Just think what you'd get for that additional money.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:34 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Isn't a GS a good deal faster than a 911 that's not a GT3?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking at C6Z's and a comparably priced 911....I got an excellent deal on an extremely low mile Z06. For that price, I was finding "base" 05 911 6 speeds. I never have driven a 911, but when all the mags rave about how much of a driver's car it is, I really wanted one (I think I will own one, one day, when horsepower isn't so important)....but at the end of the day or now, I'm a horsepower junky and I can't justify paying the same amount of $$ for a car (911) that has 180hp (base 911) less than the Z.
For $70K, you can get a great Z06.
With either car you can't go wrong.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default I better put on my Flame Suit....LOL

There is a certain perception about Porsche owners..and when you encounter them on the road...it sometimes tends to hold true....
someone ask me this question about 20 years ago...and I have a feeling the same answer applies....

Question: What is the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine??
(...drum roll.....)

Answer: The Porcupine has it's ****** on the outside

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by coolcat
You may want to check with your service manager to see if he'll let you provide your own oil and filter.
It's a heck of a lot cheaper if you buy your Mobil 1 oil and AC filter at Walmart.

You can pay for a 3 ton low profile aluminum jack and jacking pucks in your first 2 oil changes to do it yourself. Walmart will take the old oil back free. Gives youa little satisfaction to know it's been done right.

Try that with a Porsche.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can pay for a 3 ton low profile aluminum jack and jacking pucks in your first 2 oil changes to do it yourself. Walmart will take the old oil back free. Gives youa little satisfaction to know it's been done right.

Try that with a Porsche.
Plenty of Porsche owners change their own oil.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
roadking40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 133 Likes on 58 Posts

I have owned both. The Vette will out perform the 911 on the track in almost all areas. The power curve on the V8 is a blast to drive and way different than the 6.

That being said, the Porsche has exceptional fit and finish, a way better interior and is very civilized car to drive. They may be both sports cars, but are very very different beasts.

Good luck, tough call.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 PM
tomZ51
Pro

I own both and run them both of our local road track. It really comes down to the driver as to which one is faster. I would only look at the GT3 as it is such a remarkable car. As far as the cost for repairs, I really don't know as I have only had to do regular maintanence on both cars. By the way, my Porsche (91 C4) has 104,000 miles and a ton of them at the track.

It's a personal choice, I personally love my GT40 more than either of the Corvette or the Porsche.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 GS vs. 911

Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Notch
Plenty of Porsche owners change their own oil.
What a surprise seeing you on this thread...

Notch is so into Porsche cars he actually used another member name (Guibo) to back up his statements about Porsche by agreeing with himself.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLs3

Ummmm.......no.

Warranty go bye-bye
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Follow these directions

1 Find the Porsche club in your area that you WILL join if you buy a Porsche and visit them.

2 Find the Corvette club in your area that you WILL join if you buy a Corvette and visit them

3 Where did you feel most comfortable?

4 Buy the car whose club makes you feel most comfortable.

Quick Reply: 2010 GS vs. 911