C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Insurance advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Insurance advice

I know there is a thread on insuring the Vette but I need some quick opinions. I just got my renewal from Allstate on both my '09 Vette and2010 Caddy. Now up to $1165 for both cars for 6mo. Cars are reg in FL. I just got a quote from 21st Century for the exact same coverage at $570. I have a hard time believing this difference. Since my current policy expires on 8/27, I need to make a quick decision. I have my house in FL covered by Allstate as well but this premium difference on the cars is too good to ignore.

Question: Anybody have experience with 21st Century? None of my friends use them. Thxs
Old 08-20-2010, 07:00 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been an independent agent for 20+ years, representing several companies. AIG, now called 21st Century was one of them. I cancelled my contract with them and moved all my clients. The company tried very hard to find a way to avoid paying a claim, and had the worst customer service I ever saw. I would avoid them if they were free!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:01 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 558 Likes on 453 Posts

I had 21st, 20 years ago when we lived in So. Cal. They had a good reputation but then, the '94 Northridge earthquake hit. They lost their collective shirts. They raised our (and everyone elses) rates every year after that for no reason other than to recoup losses. Our car insurance almost doubled in 3 years and ultimately they cancelled us because of where our house was located, and we didn't have any claims at all. We ended up with Allstate because they were the only ones who would sell us home insurance, still much cheaper than 21st. Now we have Amica. I suppose 21st is okay but I wouldn't intentionally send someone to them.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:29 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I received quotes from 21st but in my case they were a little high. I'm at about 500 a year for the vette with Erie insurance.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Pretty poor rating here....

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ovider-ratings
Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by indyjack18
I've been an independent agent for 20+ years, representing several companies. AIG, now called 21st Century was one of them. I cancelled my contract with them and moved all my clients. The company tried very hard to find a way to avoid paying a claim, and had the worst customer service I ever saw. I would avoid them if they were free!
Not a great testimonial to say the least! Was this claim home owners or auto? I have had a problem with Allstate homeowners in the past on a claim that they eventually gave in on, but not ever having had an accident I have never dealt with a dispute on car repair.

Is this the same AIG that we as tax payers vertually own? As I understand it, 21st's parent is Farmers today.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

When I look at these posts and see the low rates some of you are paying, I gotta wonder...

These rates are probably for very low liabilities even if they are state approved. Are you guys sure you're covered well enough just in case? Being under insured could be a big headache. Just sayin'...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:00 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

I've always believed a couple hundred bucks a year either way means very little if the insurance company treats me right. I've had great luck with Nationwide for all my insurance needs and NEVER EVER a question regarding claims... home or auto. Had a claim this past year after a tree fell and did a lot of damage to my fence.

The adjuster said email me some pictures with the estimate from the fence company. Three days later I received a check for almost 3 grand with not questions asked. Now that's great service.....

My point is find a company that treats you right and stay with them....
Old 08-20-2010, 08:05 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 157 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
When I look at these posts and see the low rates some of you are paying, I gotta wonder...

These rates are probably for very low liabilities even if they are state approved. Are you guys sure you're covered well enough just in case? Being under insured could be a big headache. Just sayin'...
Everything (except for boat) I own that can be insured is covered by State Farm. 500 deductible collision and comprehensive on Vette - I pay about $220 every 6 months. Clean record, somewhat advancing age, living in the Midwest. Gotta love it. Have an Escalade also - that one is about $180 every 6 months with some deductibles.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
SunnyVette21
Instructor

Cruise-In XI Veteran

Originally Posted by MARSC6
I received quotes from 21st but in my case they were a little high. I'm at about 500 a year for the vette with Erie insurance.
I use Erie also but unfortunatly it is really a PA and surrounding area type of insurance. Great rates on everything.

I modded my Vette this year so I wanted Agreed Upon value and went with the National Corvette Museum. Adam Boca did a great job for me and I am very pleased with this coverage.

I suggest you talk to a Insurance Broker who represents several Ins Companies. They can do a very effective job of shopping rates for you.

Based on the others that responded, you probably should try a company of than 21st.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 PM
dalinone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AIG sold 21st Century to Zurich/Farmers about a year ago.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

mksZ51,

Everything (except for boat) I own that can be insured is covered by State Farm. 500 deductible collision and comprehensive on Vette - I pay about $220 every 6 months. Clean record, somewhat advancing age, living in the Midwest. Gotta love it. Have an Escalade also - that one is about $180 every 6 months with some deductibles.
I'm talking liability coverage. USAA would not give me overall coverage if I did not raise my liability to significant levels. Maryland requires a minimum liability coverage but the company said that was way too low for me.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:16 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Most state min coverage is a joke. One big accident and you are screwed financially. I have $300/500k liability on my cars, 100/500 ded, both 40ish, wife has one accident on her record. Three cars 08 C6, 07 Impala SS, 09 Yukon Denali XL. I pay about $1150 for 6 months. I think my extra liability insurance on my house is thrown in there also. I'm with USAA right now. They have been jacking rates up for the last 3 policies (18 months) saying increase in risk due to other drivers in Utah. I had Allstate before and they have excellent claims but they were starting to get real expensive. I had one accident claim with USAA and my wife and I were given a bunch a crap. Generally it was a fender bender. They almost had my wife in tears trying to confuse her. I stepped in and they got pissed off because I wasn't the driver.

I was also involved in an accident and it was the other driver's fault. USAA would not help me at all. They claimed part of my increase was because I was higher risk even though the accident was not my fault. I had one accident in 25 years of driver, not my fault and they increase my rates. If Allstate's home insurance becomes competitive with USAA then I'll be leaving USAA.

State Farm gave me a quote of about $300 per month.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I envy you older gentlemen with your super low rates. Ask me what I pay, I'm a 21 year old C6 driver.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55

I have everything pretty high including 1mil 1st party medical for myself. Also have a lot of the other benefits like lost income.

Last edited by MARSC6; 08-21-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 AM
PeteTheGreek
Racer

You'll get what you pay for when you have a claim
Old 08-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Poppa Bud
Race Director

Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by FRIVOLOU-Z
I envy you older gentlemen with your super low rates. Ask me what I pay, I'm a 21 year old C6 driver.
Yea, we pay more, but you have more time to drive yours.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Insurance advice

Old 08-21-2010, 11:22 AM
saintsfan1
Advanced

I've been with USAA for 18+ years and never had any problems with them what so ever. I wouldn't use anyone else.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:48 PM
TexBlade
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by saintsfan1
I've been with USAA for 18+ years and never had any problems with them what so ever. I wouldn't use anyone else.
20+ years, very happy!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:09 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,607 Likes on 1,636 Posts

Originally Posted by saintsfan1
41 years for me - never an issue.

Quick Reply: Need Insurance advice