C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is afraid to do top recall?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
djgcue
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was worried about performing the roof recall. I ignored the first round. A garage queen and only driven twice a year in the past 3 years, my roof was perfect since the day i bought the car back in 06. A couple of months ago to my shock when I pressed down on my roof it popped.

Finally, performed the roof recall at Cornell Chevy in Costa Mesa after hearing some positive feedback about this dealer. Called to schedule an appointment. Armando at Cornell took my VIN and paint code. At week later I picked up my top, perfect paint match! My car was only at the dealer for a little over an hour.

As long as you find a good Chevy dealer, you should have no worries.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is being done Monday. The top on my Z is seperating at the rear on both sides about half way up. The dealer, Selman Chevrolet in Orange ordered the top, they're painting it first. I'm not concerned since this Z has spent most of it's life garaged (all 2,700 miles of its life, '06) so they paint has not faded at all. I DON'T want them paint blending into the halo so we'll see.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM
JC-06LMB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JC-06LMB
I went back and forth on getting my top done for the last three years and finally had no choice because it started to seperate. It's been a nightmare. Two months and I finally got it back today. Everytime it came back from the bodyshop the guy installing the hardware or headliner would damage it. When the dealer dropped it off at my house this morning (because of all the inconvieniences) I picked it up and the headliner fell off. They took it back to fix it and dropped it off again this afternoon. I haven't seen it yet but I'm praying it's finally fixed right. The dealership has been very accomodating but there's no excuse for the way the top was handled and damaged several times.

With the limited amount of use my car gets, I probably should have left it alone!!!!!! I've lost all faith in GM, i hope nothing ever happens to the vette that only the dealer can fix.

When I got home last night I check out the top and the headliner looked like it was finally fixed......... however the paint looked like sombody ran one of those green scuff pads accross the whole center of it. Most likley from when they layed it on the work bench to fix the headliner they weren't too careful. Called the dealer this morning and they are supposed to pick it up and buff it out and drop it of at the house AGAIN!!! I can't wait to see th results.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:34 PM
donreyno
Cruising

I have an 07 LMB, 3lt, z-51, two tops...the painted top creaks and pops and seems to be displaying the dreaded (I want to bury my head in the sand) symptoms of roof separation. I called local Dealer ...."uhhhh...no recall for your VIN". I called GM ...."uhhh...no recall for your VIN"....it turns out I am exactly 1004 vehicles outside the range of VIN #s, so now they want to charge me to assess and then go from there....I am not sure what to do but then I dont want to have the thing fly off and hurt someone or, I could just put on the transparent top and not worry about it....any suggestions? oh and....save the wave...I even wave when I am in a different vehicle and I get ....huhhh,?.... why you wavin at me looks
Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by donreyno
I have an 07 LMB, 3lt, z-51, two tops...the painted top creaks and pops and seems to be displaying the dreaded (I want to bury my head in the sand) symptoms of roof separation. I called local Dealer ...."uhhhh...no recall for your VIN". I called GM ...."uhhh...no recall for your VIN"....it turns out I am exactly 1004 vehicles outside the range of VIN #s, so now they want to charge me to assess and then go from there....I am not sure what to do but then I dont want to have the thing fly off and hurt someone or, I could just put on the transparent top and not worry about it....any suggestions? oh and....save the wave...I even wave when I am in a different vehicle and I get ....huhhh,?.... why you wavin at me looks
The recall is limited to specific vin's. If yours doesn't fall into the recall all you can do is pray that GM had the problem corrected when your car was built.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have a 2006, Victory Red. The top was replaced without incident. Paint match was great. Dealer (Sutliff, Harrisburg,PA)sold me the car when new and had all info on file. They called when the top arrived and was ready for install. Total amount of time at Dealer was less than one hour.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 PM
jruss361
Racer

Originally Posted by PT109
I am still waiting to do 2nd recall on top. Had no problem with top since bought new in 2006. Did the first recall and had no popping before or after recall. Question whether color can be matched to my satisfaction. Color is machine silver and I had color match problems on another silver car. Also afraid new top may not fit right, and I'll have a popping problem. Any others feel the same way? I think there are more problems with these tops in hot states. I live in Colorado and think I will wait a little longer and see how many forum members have issues with the recall.
My 2006 Victory Red paint matched but it was full of dirt specks. They did it again and got the headliner filthy dirty. Finally did get it 90% right!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

MY 06 was done with the glue the first time. Then after this recall I took it to the dealer (Dublin Cheverolet) and they did a great job matchnig the Monterey Red paint. The roof doesn't make a sound and it looks a lot better on the inside than the old roof. I'm very happy that I did the recall.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
kgelliott
Drifting

Default 2006

My son now owns my '06 Victory Red coupe...he has had it done recently, not to his satisfaction. Has had to have them repaint it twice because of the shoddy job...
Old 08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 238 Posts

Non-issue - - good service and perfect color mach on Precision Red - -

I would think the safety issues would outweigh the cosmetic ones which can always be remedied.

IMO, no reason not to get it done now.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:12 PM
donreyno
Cruising

Originally Posted by saplumr
The recall is limited to specific vin's. If yours doesn't fall into the recall all you can do is pray that GM had the problem corrected when your car was built.
thanks for the one/only? response to my sit uation (deliberate)...but as I said in my post ....MY 07 with both tops (from factory) is displaying the same symptoms of those vehicles under recall, ie popping (like pop-corn ) as one waaaaaaay earlier member quoted, and creaking over un-level road. The problem is my vehicle is 1004 out the range of VIN included in the recall (which has continued to grow since the initial problem and ...fix?)....so therefore I do not feel confident in praying that the problem was/has been corrected......I do not feel I should have to pay for analysis of the problem and then, later, have them(GM) expand the recall. I, on the contrary see them uhhhhhh going out of their way to resolve said problem in good faith?/will if not for a VIN cut-off.....what about the guy/gal that is uhhhhhh.just ONE out of range? ..."sorry ,we have totally fixed EVERYTHING right up to the last car before yours"...I have seen this thing grooooow from 05,then,06 (which is why I decided to wait for 07 to buy/order) and thennnnn into 07...anyway this is probably as much venting as hoping for any productive suggestion....I guess I will just put on the Lexan top and know that I wasted many dollars on the stock ,paint match top....but,....thanks for at least responding
Old 08-25-2010, 04:28 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

thanks for the one/only? response to my sit uation (deliberate)...but as I said in my post ....MY 07 with both tops (from factory) is displaying the same symptoms of those vehicles under recall, ie popping (like pop-corn ) as one waaaaaaay earlier member quoted, and creaking over un-level road. The problem is my vehicle is 1004 out the range of VIN included in the recall (which has continued to grow since the initial problem and ...fix?)....so therefore I do not feel confident in praying that the problem was/has been corrected......I do not feel I should have to pay for analysis of the problem and then, later, have them(GM) expand the recall. I, on the contrary see them uhhhhhh going out of their way to resolve said problem in good faith?/will if not for a VIN cut-off.....what about the guy/gal that is uhhhhhh.just ONE out of range? ..."sorry ,we have totally fixed EVERYTHING right up to the last car before yours"...I have seen this thing grooooow from 05,then,06 (which is why I decided to wait for 07 to buy/order) and thennnnn into 07...anyway this is probably as much venting as hoping for any productive suggestion....I guess I will just put on the Lexan top and know that I wasted many dollars on the stock ,paint match top....but,....thanks for at least responding

My guess is (and it's only a guess) you're probably spinning your wheels trying to get GM to fix it if they think there is no problem. Of course if the unforseen happens and you get total delamination I'm pretty sure GM will be in a precarious situation at that point.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:49 PM
donreyno
Cruising

Originally Posted by saplumr
My guess is (and it's only a guess) you're probably spinning your wheels trying to get GM to fix it if they think there is no problem. Of course if the unforseen happens and you get total delamination I'm pretty sure GM will be in a precarious situation at that point.
AND THERE-IN LIES THE PROBLEM.....Government Motors calculates the same way as the guy in Fight Club the movie....."its cheaper to settle the lawsuits than the recalls"...and maybe they are ...Right??????...so far I dont think anyone has been killed from being behind a car that has a defective top...so....whats the problem???....I have been soooooo pro ..BUY AMERICAN to all that I know ...and now.....hmmmmmm...but then again ,Toylowta is doin the same....only under extreme nasty press/pressure do they feign to do anything close to the a hmmmmmm....right thing to do...thanks again for the reply...I am just at my wits end....awwwww...the joy of driving sigh..WITH THE EVER LASTING TORMENT OF >>>IS IT GOING TO END UGLY....so the dream car sits....at least it keeps the miles down for someone else to enjoy latergosh....facetiously I really am disappointed I didnt pay the extra for the NCM delivery......" you will enjoy this car forever ...dont worry about killing someone behind you just because we built an inferior product with a problem that we are yet to correct....just enjoy)
Old 08-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Aussie808
Intermediate

Had mine done, '06, about two years ago. Absolutely no problem until there was one. It happens fast--literally one day to the next in my case, but thanx to the forums knew what to expect noise-wise, and the delamination followed quickly. Did a good job color matching, black, but a scuff mark of some kind on it. Small so didn't bother taking it back. If you're in the VIN range you should get it done. Not a big deal, generally. As for donreyno--complain loudly to the Zone office. If that doesn't work, go to corporate VP level. Don't let them get away with being 1000 out of the vin " when obviously you have the well documented problem. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:24 PM
donreyno
Cruising

Originally Posted by Aussie808
Had mine done, '06, about two years ago. Absolutely no problem until there was one. It happens fast--literally one day to the next in my case, but thanx to the forums knew what to expect noise-wise, and the delamination followed quickly. Did a good job color matching, black, but a scuff mark of some kind on it. Small so didn't bother taking it back. If you're in the VIN range you should get it done. Not a big deal, generally. As for donreyno--complain loudly to the Zone office. If that doesn't work, go to corporate VP level. Don't let them get away with being 1000 out of the vin " when obviously you have the well documented problem. Good luck!
THANKS Aussie....how do I find the ZONE office number (for my region?)..and assuming that doesnt work...the corporate vp number (AGAIN,IN MY REGION)...thanks sincerely in advance ps I am in Central californication if that helps

Last edited by donreyno; 08-25-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Aussie808
Intermediate

THANKS Aussie....how do I find the ZONE office number (for my region?)..and assuming that doesnt work...the corporate vp number (AGAIN,IN MY REGION)...thanks sincerely in advance ps I am in Central californication if that helps
Zone office numbers should be in owners or warranty manual. If you have to go up the ladder, call GM HQ and ask for VP of customer relations. You won't get him, but often a wheel's secretary making a call can do wonders. Worked for me over the years with several big companies and defective purchases.

Last edited by Aussie808; 08-25-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My original top has no issues and was quiet - no creaking or popping. I exchanged tops through the recall and the paint matched great but the top creaked and popped horribly. Sprayed a little graphite dry lube in the pin holes and absolutely no more noise. Although I regretted exchanging tops at first, I'm glad I did now that everthing is ok.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is afraid to do top recall?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

My `06 top was fine for over 3 whole years and a lot of high speed miles in the hot sun. Got the recall notices and ignored them. Top was always quiet, no issues whatsoever. Figured maybe I lucked out and got a "good" top. Wrong. After 3+ years, one day took the car on a short ride, started hearing loud creaking, got back home and half the top was separated. Top is dead. Popped on my extra transparent top and have been using that ever since.

I still need to get my painted top repaired, just haven't had the time. But I much prefer the painted top in general, I'll need to get this done. IMO, the car looks much better with the painted top (MS), plus in the warm weather it can get too hot in the cockpit for my taste with the trans top.

But, the point is, for those with original tops that haven't come apart yet, I think you can pretty much expect the top to fail at some point.... so either take the top in for replacement now or be prepared for a top failure while on the road.

I had been carrying some plastic sheeting and a roll of tape in my toolkit, but lucky for me the top separated on a sunny day when I was only a few miles from home, traveling at slow speed. Imagine if you are on a long-distance trip, traveling on an interstate, at night, in the pouring rain, and then your top flies off and gets run over by a truck ... it could happen, prepare accordingly.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:22 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Zoot Allures
Had mine done 2 weeks ago, VY no color match issues.
The only problem I had was that it took 5 weeks to get done.....
Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I just had mine done last week. Took 2 trips to the body shop to get the paint right. Now I have the dreaded "popping" that I never had before. Paint match is great, mine is Precision Red". Not sure what to do about the popping though.

All I can say is, good luck.

Quick Reply: Who is afraid to do top recall?