C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Powdercoat their 08 Split 5-spoke wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM
madcadr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Powdercoat their 08 Split 5-spoke wheels?

I love my 2008 factory split 5-spoke rims - However, I wanted to get them powdercoated black.

Has anyone done this?

I don't like the look of any of the aftermarket black rims (The ones I do are toooo expensive). So, I was planning on getting them powdercoated at a very reputable factory here in D/FW - The only thing is that I would have to keep the Silver center caps (With the corvette logo) as I cannot find any that are black with the logo.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Marc
Old 08-15-2010, 04:36 PM
van halen
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

West Coast Corvettes has an exchange program for black powder coated wheels:

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...wder-coat.aspx
Old 08-22-2010, 12:47 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Decent price from WCC, but then you gotta pay to unmount, re-mount to new wheels, balance, & ship old wheels back.. Might still be worth it if theyre done really good & include black centercaps?

Im with the OP, any pictures of the stock 08 base wheels powdercoated black!? Id like to do this to my atomic orange coupe!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:52 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by madcadr
I love my 2008 factory split 5-spoke rims - However, I wanted to get them powdercoated black.

Has anyone done this?

I don't like the look of any of the aftermarket black rims (The ones I do are toooo expensive). So, I was planning on getting them powdercoated at a very reputable factory here in D/FW - The only thing is that I would have to keep the Silver center caps (With the corvette logo) as I cannot find any that are black with the logo.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Marc
I bought the factory comp gray centers and had a powder coater.
match the buttons. Much tougher and better than painted.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:56 AM
tthomas2006
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked mine up this week. They look great. I am waiting to get them back from my local tire shop. He did not want to take a chance on damaging the finished product. He had to order a new set of plastic covers that fit over the clamps that hold the wheel in place. I am in Atlanta metro and Millers Powder Coating did mine. They did a perfect job. He told me they spent a little extra time on the surface of the spokes in order to get a glass finish. It's the second set for me and their consistant quality and attention to detail was top notch. They are in Lilburn, GA. I finished installing the new painted caliper yesterday. Good Luck. Oh yea, the best part was the price. $260 for all four wheels. I told him I would pay more.. it was worth it.

Last edited by tthomas2006; 08-22-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:03 AM
tthomas2006
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you will take a knife and gently lift the logo that is recessed in the center, it will lift right up. I sanded mine with some 320 sandpaper and used some good quality spray paint that was meant for plastic. Be sure to let them dry completely between coats. I rushed one coat and had to sand out some sort of reaction the paint had. No big deal. They turned out great. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Powdercoat their 08 Split 5-spoke wheels?

Quick Reply: Anyone Powdercoat their 08 Split 5-spoke wheels?