C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anybody used a touch up paint kit called...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM
x-mann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anybody used a touch up paint kit called...

Drcolorchip? saw the commercial. seems expensive. Have my reservations about how good it works.

anyone ever try it?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 PM
fleetc
Pro

There was a thread on this a few days ago ( I can't find it now). But the reviews were very good. Enough to convince me to order a kit for the wifes car.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by x-mann
Drcolorchip? saw the commercial. seems expensive. Have my reservations about how good it works.

anyone ever try it?
Do you have a link?

Also, someone here has used the Langka system with half decent results - don't know what kind of damage you have?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Moonstruck
Advanced

Luckily never had to use it on the Vette. But have had excellent results on the wife's car. And it is Black Metallic! Takes patience and I have learned a few "tricks", very satisfied.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 PM
BadToo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used both and I like Drcolorchip much better. It's all in the magic leveling fluid I guess.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
leahy
Heel & Toe

I have came across review for them in some forums. It seems that the reviews are either great or completely terrible for some reason. I haven't used it myself, but I have just regular touch up paint to cover up paint chips and it came up looking very nice. I got my paint from http://www.touchuppaintonline.com, but I think the trick is to apply very very thin coats with a tooth and try to even it out. i have seem touch ups on my friend's car before and he put a whole blob of paint on there and it looks horrible.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 PM
jcmarathon
Advanced

I have a few chips down my driver's door edge where the previous owner evidently didn't care about the car. How is the best method to touch this up? The car is an 09 Victory Red Coupe.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard toothpick or dumb end of a shredded paper match. Apply gently using capillary action.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:03 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I've used Dr Color Chip on one Jeep and two Corvettes. I recommend, with caution.

It ain't as easy as the directions indicate. Takes some practice. Buy more rubber surgical gloves, OR... Cut the tips of the fingers off the glove they send you. You only use one at a time. Still... Buy/find more surgical gloves.

Having said that, once you get the hang of it, it is MUCH better than slapping on touch-up paint from GM. You will likely need to do more than one application.

It isn't a cure-all, or body shop quality, but it has worked for me.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Steelfab
Intermediate

It has been good for "road rash" but for anything larger, very difficult even with patience on my magnetic red.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 AM
CubanMissile
Racer

I used it on my C6 for some minor road chips. It was almost amazing! Some of the chips disappeared completely and the others you'd have to know where they were before to detect them.

It's easy to apply, just don't put a glob of paint to start with.

Finally, the only drawback is that it will dry up rather quickly in the bottle and though I followed the instructions to thin it again with acetone this did not work for me, it stayed hard. It's definitely worth the money as I doubt that a body shop will get better results and the cost should be higher.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anybody used a touch up paint kit called...

Quick Reply: Has anybody used a touch up paint kit called...