C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 roof finally started popping

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 09 roof finally started popping

alot of popping roof stories under the c6 "search" section. Anyone with an 09 clear top had the issues fixed? and what was the dealer solution? mine was perfect until last week when the heat really set in here in ks, 6500 miles. thxs for the responses in advance.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 PM
rchbn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HANNY
alot of popping roof stories under the c6 "search" section. Anyone with an 09 clear top had the issues fixed? and what was the dealer solution? mine was perfect until last week when the heat really set in here in ks, 6500 miles. thxs for the responses in advance.
I read and reread the FAQ and what worked for me was the heat shrink tubing on the male part of the top, after I did that the noise went the way of the dodo bird.

Good luck in you search for a cure as it seems this fix or that one doesn't work but the one that works for you is the one that works!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,148 Posts

My 09 started knocking around 11,000 miles. If I put my hand on the front handles, you can feel the knock as it makes the popping sound. If that's what yours is doing here is how I fixed mine.

I went to Pepboys and bought two sets of redish o-rings in their misc parts section. (You need two sets to get 4 o-rings of right size) I put two on each of the front vertical pins and had to stretch them a little to go on. They took up the clearance in the plastic insert in the windshield and eliminated 95% of the noise.

Also check to make sure the pins are screwed in tight to the roof. Mine were also loose.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:50 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HANNY
Same here. Some great advice already and thanks to those that have responded with advice.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 AM
dbunn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one of my tops still had the old style brackets or handles. They installed new ones and the lube lube they put on the front windshield plates is what I think was key. I forgot what type of grease bu I believe it was silicone grease.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 AM
Harley06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Wd 40

I used wheel shine on a rag (high silicone content) on all of the rubber around the top. I then took WD40 and put it on a rag. I wiped the contact points on the handles as well as spread a generous amount on the metal contact points on each side of the windshield. It has been two weeks at 90+ degrees and not a sound from the top.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I just do the o-ring mod 3 times a year to keep the latches more snug.

what is the fascination with a targa top? vanity?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I lucked out, I just lubed the 2 metal striker plates on the windshield frame (where the targa rollers seat). Not another peep in over 2 years.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:09 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettin08
I lucked out, I just lubed the 2 metal striker plates on the windshield frame (where the targa rollers seat). Not another peep in over 2 years.

EASY solution;
Get a can of white lithium grease with a spray straw.
Cover the area around the rollers and spray into them.
Mines been quiet ever since the 2nd application.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BSE1956

EASY solution;
Get a can of white lithium grease with a spray straw.
Cover the area around the rollers and spray into them.
Mines been quiet ever since the 2nd application.
2 applications. How long did you wait between them?
Old 08-17-2010, 11:42 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't let the seals dry up.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Purdue
Melting Slicks

I have an 09 and the roof handles started popping like popcorn. This only occurs when the temps are above 108F. Last week I couldnt take it anymore so I swung by the dealer and they installed new handles within the hour. I havent heard any popping yet.

BTW the extra O ring thingy didnt help!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Purdue
I have an 09 and the roof handles started popping like popcorn. This only occurs when the temps are above 108F. Last week I couldnt take it anymore so I swung by the dealer and they installed new handles within the hour. I havent heard any popping yet.

BTW the extra O ring thingy didnt help!
thxs for the response, its when my ride is really hot that it pops as well. I will try and get this warranteed., regards, paul
Old 08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Rocky09
Cruising

I have an '09 with the clear roof panel and mine was non-stop popping over every little bump in the road. I took it back under warranty and dealer did a "reallignment" and installed the orings and lubed all the latches and pins which did nothing to reduce the noise. I slapped some oring silicone lube along the weather stripping seals along the front and back and it's been quiet as a mouse for the last 3 months even in the hot weather we've been having around here. I'll probably clean and apply some more lube the next time I wash it.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 PM
frogmore
Instructor

I just put a little white lithium grease on the metal plate for the front latches and goes away. a 2 minute fix and works great. I take my top off quite frequently also.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My 09 started creaking/popping about a month ago. I was able to fix it completely myself. $6 for Super Lube from Ace Hardware, some clean rags & Q-tips.

Cleaned & lubed everything shown in post #2: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...long-post.html

Put the top on soft blankets & carpet for easy access.

When re-installing the top, I attached the front header latches first. Don't know if it matters. But it's completely quiet now, so I don't mess with success.

Also, it might be the hot weather makes the problem worse... from the above link:
"Unfortunately there is very little that you can do about infrequent noises due to thermal expansion. The good news is that in most cases it will cure itself in just a few miles. As the car goes from a cool garage to the hot sunny day or having been parked in the hot sun and then driven away it is bound to make some noise. Once each of the materials comes in to thermal equilibrium the noises should stop."
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
2 applications. How long did you wait between them?
about a year.........

Get notified of new replies

To 09 roof finally started popping

Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
mickeykelley
Burning Brakes

Got an 08 and took it in last spring/summer and they replaced the hinges and greased her up over several trips. Solved the problem for 6-10 months but came back. Taking it in again next week to see what they do now since still under warrantee.

I NEVER take the top off. The wind and sun do nothing for me personally. My thoughts are if you want that then buy a vert and make the coupe a hard top period.

GM are you listening???????

Last edited by mickeykelley; 08-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by mickeykelley
Got an 08 and took it in last spring/summer and they replaced the hinges and greased her up over several trips. Solved the problem for 6-10 months but came back. Taking it in again next week to see what they do now since still under warrantee.

I NEVER take the top off. The wind and sun do nothing for me personally. My thoughts are if you want that then buy a vert and make the coupe a hard top period.

GM are you listening???????
Hello,

I apologize that you are having problems. I see you are taking it back to the dealership. I understand how frustrating that can be. I just want you to know that we are listening and I am documenting complaints and suggestion to GM when I see them on the forum. Please let me know if the dealership does not take care of the problem or if there is anything I can help with.

Geoff Allen
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 08-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Harley06
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Three weeks and counting...

Three weeks and not a sound out of the top. It seems that the majority of the noise is between the metal plate and the latch. Keep that area lubed with silicone and you should be fine. I tried the O rings, tightening the latch and realigning the metal pins to no avail. The only remedy that worked was lubing the contact areas.

Quick Reply: 09 roof finally started popping