C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice request on Creaking Roof

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 AM
CubanMissile
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly the same problem, sprayed pure silicon lubrcant on the weatherstrip seals surfaces and Voila! the noise left and never came back. It was actually an embarrassment prior to the silicone.
They sell it at all auto parts.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:52 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thin youre talking about the safety recall for the delaminating tops.
that's a different subject.

Originally Posted by Blastic05
I thought there was a new recall and GM replaces the entire roof for free? That is what they are doing to my 2005.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my 2005 into the dealer for the top and steering column recall - explained to him my top was very quiet and was no problem. The service writer said that GM was replacing all the tops as part of the recall and advised that I change mine out also while the did the column fix. Well, the new top creaks and pops like crazy over uneven roads and while turning hard. It's really annoying but I don't have time to go back and forth to the dealer messing with the problem. I guess I'll try the silicone lube and hope for the best. I really would like to have my old "defective" top back.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by CubanMissile
I had exactly the same problem, sprayed pure silicon lubrcant on the weatherstrip seals surfaces and Voila! the noise left and never came back. It was actually an embarrassment prior to the silicone.
They sell it at all auto parts.
Some people say the carrier/solvents used in spray silicone can attack the weatherstrip; they recommend silicone grease or spraying the liquid into a rag, allow a few seconds for carrier to evaporate, then wipe on.

No personal experience with the spray.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hongkongstewy
I had the roof replace under the recall for the roof; and ever since my roof has been creaking too...ugh
Same here, Just had the recall done aND ITS WORSE THAN BEFORE!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 06 Monterey Red
There is a lot of talk about this topic. I had horrible problems with the noisy roof in my '09 C6 too. Dealer was no help and the car has supposedly the latest latches, etc. I was at the end of my rope when I accidentally fixed it.
After all the other cures were tried (lube, adjustments, etc.) I was loosening the latches as I drove (slowly!) trying to isolate the culprit. The noise stopped right away!! Apparently, the top settled properly or better. After I re-locked the latches it never made noise again
I just bought a glass top off another member and it makes a little noise every now and then but it's no big deal.

You might try what I did and see if it helps. As for the charges, I think it's wrong to charge you money for a no good fix
Originally Posted by 06 Monterey Red
That is exactly like my experience. My '06 did not make the noise that my '09 did. look in my previous post and try what I did. It's free and simple. It might work for you too.
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I'll be giving that a try tomorrow!
Tried it today, no help.

But, glad it worked for you!

Quick Reply: Advice request on Creaking Roof