C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE CARSKIN- Part II

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:31 PM
Meann-Machine
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default BEWARE CARSKIN- Part II

On May 13, 2010, I posted the following post:
BEWARE! 5 1/2 Months Ago Carskinz took my Money
In essence, In December of 2009 I ordered and prepaid for leather door panels from Carskinz. As of May 13, 2010 despite repeated (i.e. a dozen or more) promises from Chris Smith, who is Carskinz, that the door panels would be shipped the next day or Monday, or some other day, nothing had been done.
On May 14, Chris responded to the post stating:

"I am not making excuses for this job and where it is now. I will make it right with Craig and have his panels done on Monday. I offered to refund him or finish and he said to finsihh them. That is it no more, I didn't get them done there is nothing else. I did not steal his money or send him inferior products nor will I. I stand behind all of my products every stitch.

As far as the BS comments posted such as I should stick to boots I will put the quality of my product up against any vendor here and am more than capable. Also any work I do is guaranteed and is made right if the customer is not satisfied. If you have a problem and do not notify me I cannot take care of it nobody has to get over it. I take care of all costs relating to any issues as well. I believe it is all anyone would expect. If anyone else has anything to say and would like to call me to discuss please do.
Chris"

Chris did not, " Have his panels done on Monday".

Monday was the 17th. I didn't hear from Chris most of Monday so I sent him the following:

"Chris,
I sent you an email early yesterday morning to let you know I would be available if you needed to contact me. Today I will be in my office until 5:00 today. You can reach me by phone 319-232-2700 or you can respond to this e-mail directly. I am hopeful I will hear from you before the end of the day and we can both move forward with our lives. Thanks".

Chris called after receipt of that e-mail and said he would have the door panels done on Tuesday and send pictures.

I didn't hear from Chris on Tuesday and sent the following:

"Chris,
Status?"

As of Wednesday afternoon I still hadn't heard from Chris. I sent the following e-mail:

"Chris,
It’s now Wednesday afternoon. Despite the promises made on Monday, during our phone call, that I would here from you yesterday (Tuesday) I am still waiting. The pictures you said, on Monday, would be sent yesterday, did not arrive. Not only is the whole Forum waiting to see how this turns out but so am I. I will be in my office again, most likely until 5:00 or later today."

Chris reponded with pictures of the leather panel pieces and sent the following e-mail:

"Craig, all of the pieces are done and being installed now. Here are some pics of thecovers. I will email progress pics as soon as I can. The panels will be completely assembled tomorrow with wiring switches etc.. and be ready to ship".

Needless to say, that didn't happen.

Two days later Chris sent me the folloeing e-mail:

"Craig, sorry here is the first piece. I am not where I would like to be on yours but working on it". Chris sent a pictue of the the piece of the passenger side door panel above the cove area inthe door.

Another two days passed and on May 22, I received the following e-mail:
" Craig, will have them done tomorrow the passenger side is done working on the drivers now. I will get more pics in the AM".

That didn't happen.

On May 24 I sent Chris the following e-mail:

"Chris,
I am getting personal messages from Corvette Forum members wanting to know if you followed through and I got my door panels. I would like to be able to reply that Chris came through and the door panels are on the way. Update please".

Chris replied:

"Craig, they will be shipping tomorrow (May 25). I will get you pics in the am".

That didn't happen.

Chris finally shipped the door panels on May 26.

End os Story? I wish: but no.

The door panels were loosely wrapped in bubble wrap and both were placed in the same large rectangular box together with packing peanuts added to take up some of the available free space. The box arrived half crushed. I am no UPS fan but this was one of the poorest packing efforts I have seen in some time. I sent Chris the following e-mail with pictures attached.

"ISSUES. The packaging the door panels were shipped in was less than ideal and the box was nearly destroyed when it arrived today. Please see photo. It appears the top rear corner of the passenger side door panel was rubbing against the box, scuffing up the leather much as you might do if it were scuffed with a piece of sand paper. Please see photo. The area around and on the passenger side grab handle appears as if it was cut-up trying to install the wire speaker cover. In addition the speaker cover doesn’t fit correctly and it appears it was bent in the process of reinstalling it. Please see photos. I had about 2 minutes after the door panels arrived to take a quick look at the passenger side door panel and grab a camera. I haven’t had time to make more than a cursory glance at the driver side door panel but may have time next week".

I tried to attach the pictures to this post but couldn't figure out how to get it accomplished. If anyone would like a copy of the pictures so they can draw their pwn conclusions send me an e-mail at
"amentcc@cfu.net" and I will forward a copy of the pictures.
I sent my e-mail on May 28th, immediatly after reciept of the panels but because of an e-mail server problem on my end Chris didn't receive my e-mail until May 31st. I didn't here from Chris until June 2nd and only after sending additional e-mails.

Chris responded:

"Craig, yes I got the pics. I couldn't see the top very well can you take another pic? Did the UPS guy say anything? Did you anyone at the office say anything? The UPS Store here boxed and packed the panels so the damage should be covered immediately. Have you had time to look at the drivers side?? Let me know"

Because of my trial scedule I did not have free time to take and forward additional pictures to Chris until June 10. On June 10, I sent him the following e-mail:

"Chris,
I was able to take a couple of quick pictures today. Both the driver and the passenger side panels have the top rear corner badly scuffed. I haven't had time to do a more thourgh once over of the driver's side door panel yet but I might have time this weekend. Last weekend I was in the office all weekend. I will send a couple of more pictures of the top back corner of the door panels tomorrow. I took these pictures with my camera so hopefully they will be clearer. Last time I used a borrowed camera. What about the damage to the speaker grill are and the arm rest surrounding it? You didn't mention that in your last response; just the damage possibly caused in shipping".

Chris reponded promptly, stating:

"Craig, I will take care of any damage on the panels. I am hoping the drivers is OK on the bottom. Let meknow when you can. UPS wants a contact number for you so they can do an inspection, I told them they could not take the panels. Let me know what number to contact you on. Did anyone driver etc... say or file anything when the box arrived???? I can't imagine that they would deliver that and walk away" "...That is amazing that they would not say anything. Please keep all of the packaging etc... sounds like you know the drill. The UPS store owner was being very careful about what she said. They packed the panels so they will pay for this before UPS does. The wife dropped them off and only insured for $900, she usually calls if she doesn't know and she didn't".

It appeared to me as if the tops of the door panels were damaged during shipping but that the area around the speaker cover and arm rest had been damaged during installation, and I told Chris as much. Chris didn't offer to do any thing further until after UPS had a chance to take pictures of the box and contents in my office. On June 20, I sent Chris the following e-mail:

"Chris,
UPS took pictures Wednesday. Both door panels have what looks like ware areas on the top rear corner. But what are you going to do about the Passenger side armrest-speaker cover area? You had to know it was messed up when you did it and when you shipped it. Level with me: Is this the first set of door panels you have done? Summer is no longer coming, its here and frankly my patience is waring thin. Most of my plans to show the car have gone up in smoke".

Chris responded after I sent this e-mail the next day (June 22):

"Chris,
The UPS Store wants to pick up the door panels to get them repaired and you won’t return my e-mails again: Kind of puts me in a catch 22 position again, doesn’t it? I have no desire to be without my door panels for another 6 months, but I am not satisfied with them in their current condition. I am about ready to pull the plug on this #*@#*!! mess; post a BEWARE: THE REST OF THE STORY on the forum in order to prevent someone else from learning a hard lesson; and find someone else to repair the damages".

Chris wrote:

"Craig I will have to redo the pass side. No I didn't know about any damage I would have fixed/replaced before I sent it to you. There is no money in repairs or having to ship 2 extra times. No this is not my first set of panels, it is the first in this pattern on the lower center panel.

UPS called me yesterday and I am sending them a repair order for the panels. I will have the new covers ready here for when the panels get here. Let me know when you can ship and I will figure out how to get you a tag. I assume UPS is paying for the shipping".

Please not, on June 22, Chris said," I will have the new covers ready here for when the panels get here".

Sound Good, doesn't it?...didn't happen.

Later that same day I received the following e-mail:

"Craig, UPS called we will be sending a damage claim tag for pickup. Need to know when and where.
Chris"

Didn't happen.

On the 24th, Chris sent the following e-mail:

"Craig, can you email me pictures of the damage on both panels. The UPS store is wanting them to ship back in case there is more damage form shipping."

I responded, with the following:

"Chris,
I had ALL of the pictures up ready to print for UPS and they didn’t want them. In order to e-mail you all the pictures I will have to pull up and reformat each one: as is the picture files are to large. That will take a couple of hours I do not have right now. I will copy the pictures on to a disk and drop it in the mail by tomorrow. Please e-mail me your mailing address;

and;

"P.S. please also forward a check to me for $50 so I can PROPERLY box up the door panels for shipping. I figure my lost time alone, messing around with this, will cost me a minimum of $500. I am not going to fork out any more of my money on top of that".

No check; no e-mails.

After another e-mail exchange Chris and I spoke on the phone. I told Chris I was not going to re-pack the door panels they way they had been packed and sent to me. Chris told me his local UPS Store had talked with my (Waterloo) local UPS Store, they were expecting the door panels, and if I could deliver the panels to my local UPS Store they would package them and he would pay for them. By this time, what Chris told me didn't cary much weight. I called the local (Waterloo Store) and talked with the manager. She told me she had talked with Chris's UPS Store and it was her understanding I was to pay for repackaging and Chris would pay for shipping. I explained the situation to her and she said she would call Chris's store and get it worked out. The next day I received a call from the manager of the Waterloo UPS Store. She had taken care of the problem.
On July 9th,with everything finally sorted out I delivered the door panels to the local UPS Store for shipment.

Please remember, Chis had said he would have the new covers ready for installation, when the door panels got there.

On July 21, I sent the following e-mail:

"Chris,
I returned the door panels on July 9th. I haven't heard a word since. What is their-your status?"

Chris responded that day! He wrote:

"Craig, I picked them up yesterday from UPS and will have them done for you next week. They packed them very well at your UPS store and will ship back to you in the same way. I will keep you posted"

Didn't happen.

Although Chris said, "I will keep you posted", I didn't hear a thing. I sent several more e-mails to Chris and on the 25th Chris sent the following e-mail:

"Craig it is the weekend sorry. I will have the panels done by Wed. I will send you pics and info before I ship them".
Wednesday was July 28th.

Didn't happen.

On the 28th I received the following e-mail:

"Craig, sorry but Thursday (the 29th) will be the big day. I am redoing both panels completely, I think there was room for improvement".

I heard nothing from Chris on the 29th, and as I was rather annoyed sent the following:

" Foolish of me not to ask sooner, but which Thursday Chris?"

Chris responded on the 30th, not the 29th with:

"Craig, I will have them done and ready shipping on Monday. I will update you over the weekend."

Didn't happen. No weekend update. On August 1st, Chris sent me the following e-mail:

"Craig, the covers are done and will be installed tomorrow. I am shipping back in the same box that your UPS store sent them in. The cores can be sent back in that same box, if you can wrap them and drop them off at the UPS store there I will pay for the return shipping."

Didn't happen.

More e-mails from me and Chris's reply:

"Craig, still working on them. I am trying to have them ready for tonight but will probably be shipped tomorrow, I am not rushing. I will email you in a little while and let you know, I will email both."

Didn't happen.

Then on August 4th I receive the following e-mail:

"Craig, the panels will be shipping tomorrow. The owner is wanting to pack them just in case and we are having a lot of pictures taken of them. I will send them overnight so you have them Friday and if you have time can get them installed this weekend. We are trying to cover everybody because of what happened. I apologize for the extra couple of days."

Certainly sounds like the panels are finally finished and in the hads of Chris's local UPS Store, doesn't it?

Didn't happen.

Two more days go by and I have heard nothing further. I asked for a UPS shipping number and got no response. On August 6th I sent the following e-mail:

"Chris,
Perhaps this weekend is the time to take the time to post “BEWARE CARSKINZ- PART II” on the Corvette Forum. Tomorrow is now yesterday and I will be flippin’ AMAZED if the panels show up today, sent next day delivery as you said they would."

Then the following exchage occurred between Chris and I:

"Craig, I am still working on them. I still have other jobs to do other than adding a large job to redo because of damage due to lack of pack and shipping. I really thought I would have been done but obviously am not. I am working on nothing but yours through the weekend so they can ship Monday. Sorry I should not have told you a date for completion just that I was working on them. Still trying to figure out how to have more hands to get more done, seems once you get behind it is hard to get caught up. Then add something that was done to redo on top of everything else. I still would ratrher you be upset at me for how long it took than to send you a product that you would not be happy with."

"Chris,
What you are not doing is putting other things aside, and making any real effort to get this project done. You say now, “that I am working on nothing but yours through the weekend”, and you only have two hands. Yet two weeks ago, again after you had promised the panels would be delivered that next Monday, you didn’t respond to my e-mail, claiming it was, after all, the weekend. Your excuse now, is this is a redo, “because of damage due to lack of pack and shipping”. That evidences two things: 1. It was your job to properly pack and ship the items ordered, and you still haven’t taken responsibility for that, and 2. The misalignment of the speaker cover and the damage around the speaker cover on the door panel arm rest wasn’t caused by the shipper. You haven’t given me “a” date for shipment, but more probably 20 dates since February. Your last e-mail wasn’t equivocal. If it wasn’t an outright lie it was intentionally deceitful. It said, and I quote: “Craig, the panels will be shipping tomorrow. The owner is wanting to pack them just in case and we are having a lot of pictures taken of them. I will send them overnight so you have them Friday and if you have time can get them installed this weekend.” The panels were not completed. The owner did not pack them. No pictures were taken. The panels were not shipped on Thursday,(hell they weren’t even done on Thursday), and the panels sure as hell were not shipped overnight delivery so that I could install them this weekend. This is it Chris."

"Craig, I take responsibility for my actions or lack of them. I can and do depending on the parts and my supply of packaging materials take the parts to be packaged professionally. The UPS stores are suppose to be experts in packing so why should I have had any concerns with packaging the door panels. The UPS store in your town did a fantastic job on packaging and is what should have been done here. I do not think I did anything wrong in having a professional pack the panels it is not my fault that they packed them like they did. I am not sure what you are talking about with the speaker cover and I do know for a fact there was no damage on the panels when they were dropped off to be packed.
I cannot just put everything else aside I have to do everything. I have to try to get everything done and like I said this is a redo so it adds to my workload even more. If UPS and the UPS store would have done there jobs we would not be having this conversation. I will have the panels ready for shipping on Monday and will send you pics of them. The owner is packing them with my supervision so there are no issues. We cannot say what will happen in shipping because you don't know. Like you know from your issues in the past things get damaged in shipping."

Gentlemen, this is not a case of sourer grapes. I have received both e-mails and personal messages from other Forum members who are or did have issues with Chris. All persons finally accepted refunds from Chris after months of waiting for him to deliver as promised. Review this post, make your own decision, and govern yourself accordingly. I have gone through this process in part because it is my nature to give some one enough rope to hang themself or fully exonorate themself. Most people take advantage of the opportunity to make things right.

A little bit about myself: I am a trial attorney. I work hard not to make mistakes, but I do, everybody does, but if I do, correcting that mistake takes top priority. I don't take additional clients or additional monies until I have my house in order and have corrected my mistake. Chris, on the other hand writes,"I cannot just put everything else aside...like I said this is a redo so it adds to my workload even more."

Our Corvettes are important to us. I have mine to relieve stress, and add enjoyment to life, not add to my stress. Gentlemen, I hope this post helps at least one of you down the road.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This is a very sad story....unless there is some extraordinary mitigating circumstance, I would think Savewave (the moderator) may want to look at this explanation as detailed as it is.

Today is August 8th....
Old 08-08-2010, 09:42 PM
CarskinZ
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize to the OP and to the forum for letting this happen. I take responsibility for the door panels not being redone when I said and I am doing everything I can to correct this issue. I am working on solutions so that this will not happen in the future. It is unfortunate that the panels have had to be redone because of shipping damage beyond my control. Having to redo something just adds to my already busy workload. I will not sacrifice the quality of my products in order to rush any orders period. Business' cannot just shut down until a problem is resolved because they do not have 100% control over all factors concerning the issues.

I will not take responsibility for any issues caused by The UPS Store that packaged the door panels or for the damage in shipping caused by UPS. UPS in fact paid the claim for this and said the damage was caused in shipping. I believe that I was responsible in taking the panels to have packed at the UPS store. They are suppose to be experts and we have not had any issues with their packing up until this point. I also made sure that the OP's UPS store was in contact with my UPS store and also myself. I in fact paid for the packaging by the OP's store and never suggested that the OP pay for anything. I did everything to make sure the claim was taken care of and that any info was supplied to the UPS stores that was needed.

I will resolve this issue and just like all of my products, I stand behind them 100%

Chris
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Meann-Machine
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris wrote "UPS in fact paid the claim for this and said the damage was caused in shipping". This is the first I have heard of this. So, if I understand correctly, I paid Chris, UPS paid Chris, and I am still waiting to receive the parts I ordered last December. You have my curiosity up Chris: Can you please explain how you believe the speaker grill area and the arm rest, which appears scratched or cut as if by wire, was damaged in shipping? I, for the life of me couldn't figure out what would have come in contact with the door in that area, to cause that damage.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

closed pending review of a few things....
Old 08-09-2010, 07:06 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Thread cleaned of unnecessary commentary.

OP, we are contacting Carskinz on your behalf. Please refrain from starting any other threads.

Please keep us in the loop regarding your order status going forward.

You can PM Admin. savewave, Moderator Tact or myself with updates.

Get notified of new replies

To BEWARE CARSKIN- Part II

Quick Reply: BEWARE CARSKIN- Part II