C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Spyder207
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top Choices

Finally will be getting a vette in November of this year but torn in trying to choose between the different choices in tops. I currently have a convertible on my DD and love it when the weather is nice just not sure if I want to spend the extra money for it on a vette since I can get the removable tops.

Has anyone gone from a convertible to a coupe and if so do you miss the convertible?
How does it compare riding with the tops off versus having a convertible?
How much of a pain is it removing the tops?
Any benefits of color match versus transparent other than looks?

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
marc2005c6
Instructor

removing the tops on a c6 corvette (base ls2 or ls3) is extremely easy. takes less then 1 minute, and stores nicely in the trunk area. IMO, it can be taken off and stored faster then a vert top can go down haha
Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by marc2005c6
removing the tops on a c6 corvette (base ls2 or ls3) is extremely easy. takes less then 1 minute, and stores nicely in the trunk area. IMO, it can be taken off and stored faster then a vert top can go down haha
wanna race to see if my power top beats your top removal and stowage and back in the drivers seat ready to go.... I don't think so LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 PM
csun213
Melting Slicks

A vert looks great with the top down however not so much with the top up. The coupe looks great with or without the top.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:25 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I have owned and enjoyed both. The coupe seems to suit me better, though. I like the roomy luggage area in the back (lots more room than the vert) and the added security of the solid top(s). Didn't notice much difference in openess between the two with the top down on the vert or off with the coupe. Less road/wind noise with the coupe, although the vert's not bad. You would greatly enjoy either; I always have!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I always thought the C6 Convertible was sharpest....because the top is smaller....IMO they look better....then comes the wide body....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by vetteright
I have owned and enjoyed both. The coupe seems to suit me better, though. I like the roomy luggage area in the back (lots more room than the vert) and the added security of the solid top(s). Didn't notice much difference in openess between the two with the top down on the vert or off with the coupe. Less road/wind noise with the coupe, although the vert's not bad. You would greatly enjoy either; I always have!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:38 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

If you decide to go with a coupe, I strongly advise that you get it with the painted top (or both tops) and not just the transparent one. The reason is simple math.
  • Painted top ONLY = $0
  • Transparent top after the fact (through dealer parts department) = approx. $1200
  • Total for both tops if car is originally built with painted = $1200
  • Transparent top ONLY = $750 (at M.S.R.P.)
  • Painted top after the fact (dealer must order all parts separately, paint outside panel, assemble everything) = approx. $1900
  • Total for both tops if car is originally built with transparent ONLY = $2650
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 AM
T's C6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever blows your skirt.

They are all great cars.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by marc2005c6
I'll race ya
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Let's do that race on the freeway in hot, heavy traffic, while moving along at a walking pace....
Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
If you decide to go with a coupe, I strongly advise that you get it with the painted top (or both tops) and not just the transparent one. The reason is simple math.
  • Painted top ONLY = $0
  • Transparent top after the fact (through dealer parts department) = approx. $1200
  • Total for both tops if car is originally built with painted = $1200
  • Transparent top ONLY = $750 (at M.S.R.P.)
  • Painted top after the fact (dealer must order all parts separately, paint outside panel, assemble everything) = approx. $1900
  • Total for both tops if car is originally built with transparent ONLY = $2650
The C2L option (both tops) is $1,400, or you can buy a brand new transparent top from the parts dept for around $1,200. I bought mine new for $1,100.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder207
Finally will be getting a vette in November of this year but torn in trying to choose between the different choices in tops. I currently have a convertible on my DD and love it when the weather is nice just not sure if I want to spend the extra money for it on a vette since I can get the removable tops.

Has anyone gone from a convertible to a coupe and if so do you miss the convertible?

DUDE! The convertible is flat-out quieter!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:38 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I prefer the Vert, obviously, but for a DD the coupe may be a smarter choice.

You can definitely get more groceries in the back in the back of a coupe.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:00 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03

I went from vert to coupe and would not go back. I must add though that it was from a C5 vert to a C6 coupe. I just recently replace that C6 with another coupe.

I like the extra cargo room. I have always liked the looks of the coupe. My C5 was noisy even when the top was up and it leaked around the windows which was not a big problem here in AZ but still an aggravation.

As for the tops I would not go with just the clear top for a different reason. Because I live in AZ and the clear top is hotter than hell in the summer. If I want to see the sky I'll pop the top. You can no doubt find some other accessory to spend that $1400 on. If you can't PM me and I'll send you my address.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Love ragtops, my last three cars were soft tops; however, some don't like the top-up look of a vert.

The C6 roof panel comes off very quickly and easily, and is full-strength, solid, and quiet when installed. However, I can't put the top up or down while sitting at a stoplight like a power soft top.

I understand the tough choice involved, you just gotta go with what strikes you. Good Luck and Enjoy.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a 2005 vert that was a great car. I just bought a 2010 GS coupe. I Personally I like the looks of the coupe better. The vert looked great when the top was down, but I didn't think it was so pretty when it was up. The coupe feels like a vert when I take the top off. It isn't near as bad as I thought it would be to remove the coupes roof. I am pretty good at it now ! Vert or coupe is a personal choice. You will be happy with either IMO! It is a great car in either form!

Get notified of new replies

To Top Choices

Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Spyder207
Advanced

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

If the Vert looked as good with the Top up I would have bought one. Love the looks with the top down, but for the money I think the Couple is the best of both.
Originally Posted by csun213
A vert looks great with the top down however not so much with the top up. The coupe looks great with or without the top.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:10 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Spyder207

No
The wind still blows through your hair.
Very easy and quick to remove and store in back.
I have the transparent top and I love it. I lets the light in and gives the cabin an open air feeling.

Quick Reply: Top Choices