C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM
JuicedS2K
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something

Here it goes....

I have been a s2000, M3, guy for years. My cousin and I always talk about the vettes, giving credit where it is due and realizing it is an amazing machine. It's just kind of in my blood, and i have this mindset that i can't purchase a domestic car. The interior of the vettes has gotten much nicer and quality has seemed to greatly improve.

What I am getting at is, i need you guys to give me reasons to buy a newer vette, cause i really want to but need convincing in going with a c6 z06 over a nissan GTR.

Reliability? Class? Safety? Interior? Problems? Perks? More fun then an S2000?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Old 08-03-2010, 10:29 AM
JuicedS2K
8th Gear

Originally Posted by NYC6
more fun than a honda, really?
Hey, I'm sure there are even Vette guys on here that know how nimble and fun an S2000 is.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 AM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)

Go rent one for a day, you should get your answer.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Vettes are awesome and not just because I own one.

With that said, If you need "convincing", then you're not ready to buy one yet...... simple as that.

You should want to buy it, and buy it because you're gut says you should, not because some one "convinced you" to buy it or said you should buy it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JuicedS2K
Hey, I'm sure there are even Vette guys on here that know how nimble and fun an S2000 is.
Nimble and fun? Just like the Miata right?

Anyway, if you need convincing to buy a vette over a S2000 all I can say is drive a vette and you will convince yourself.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Have you ever driven one? I think that should answer your question right there.
If you go with the GTR don't use launch control or you void your warranty
I have several friends who came from S2000's to Vettes, and never looked back.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
TysonJones
Racer

Hmmmm. Just imagine if your honda s2000 had TWO honda s2000 engines. Thats about what my 2011 GS feels like. What your really going to feel is that brute torque that v8's have, especially ls3's and ls7's. I remember running a modified s2000 up a hill once to about 100 in my stock 2003 gmc sierra 5.3. From a start, that s2000 would have been to light and to quick, but from about 55 to 100 uphill, it didnt have enough torque to move an inch on me. Now just imagine if I was in my vette at the time... that weighs 1500 pounds lighter and has 150 more hp and 100 more torque... Do the math.

Your not gonna find a much funner car than a new c6. It has addicting power, pretty dang good comfortable seats if I say so myself, decent gas mileage if you have control, looks are unbeatable, and will garner you up alot more respect than an s2000. Thats just life.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 AM
TysonJones
Racer

Having to go to 9k rpm to have fun, is not my idea of fun. They are somewhat quick and agile, but so is a miata. They arent in the same league as a vette.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Epic_C6
Pro

Originally Posted by TysonJones
Having to go to 9k rpm to have fun, is not my idea of fun. They are somewhat quick and agile, but so is a miata. They arent in the same league as a vette.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

NOt to be mean spirited, but if you don't know enough to research and come here with specific questions, why should I or anyone else do your work for you?

Go find out more about Corvettes and come back when you have something more specific to ask.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
garytucker
Racer

I think that letting someone convince you to buy a car is never a good way to make a purchase...it's kind of like letting your buddy convince you to go out with his girlfriend's friend that you've never met. It can turn out really good...or REALLY bad!

As suggested, find a location to rent a Corvette or take plenty of test drives...coming from a Honda to the Corvette...you're not only making a manufacturer change, but a "feel" change too. I can tell you that our 350Z vert and our Corvette vert fill up the same space in the garage (nearly)...but they drive absolutely different and have an entirely different feel. I'm always amazed in the difference after driving one or the other for days in a row.

Good luck with your decision. I think that if you give the Corvette a chance and it "fits" your desires, you'll be very happy!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should buy another Honda. Really.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

The Nissan GTR although fast has one major flaw. It is ugly and that is a fact. Even the Nissan guys have said it looks better in person then in pictures. Now think for a moment if you had to say that about your wife or girl.

As for quality, the factory in BG has won some very prestigious awards for quality the last few years including one of the top factory quality awards from J.D Powers. Yes, the Corvette had some issues in the early years of the C6. However, the Corvette has and always will be a car that pushes the envelope. The current C6 Corvettes coming out of BG are some of the highest quality cars you can find. And remember one thing. Nobody gas died in a Corvette due to brake failure or any other mechanical failure. And Chevy is not the company that covered up deaths of innocent people as a foreign manufacturer has clearly done. Do your homework and you will find out the Corvette is one heck of a car.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Need you guys to prove something
Uh, no, we don't need to prove anything. You need to prove you want one badly enough to buy one. We really don't care whether you buy one or not.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM
JuicedS2K
8th Gear

Well aside from performance, no one told me what was better about it then an s2000, and i said i need some convincing because i cant figure out what is for double the price tag Was hoping you guys could tell me, cause i can't figure out what is better aside from the performance. Im starting to believe after this thread it really is just the performance benefit.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
fastter
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My Cooper is "nimble and fun," but it ain't no Vette!

Get notified of new replies

To Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something

Old 08-03-2010, 10:56 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

You don't lose your warranty if you use the car as intended. That should be reason enough. i really can't get over how big the GTR is. Makes my vette look like toy.
However, the GTR will make an average driver look like a pro on a road course and a pro look invincible with the AWD.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Maybe no one explained that the 2000 an M3 are "chick cars"

The forum was kind enough to explain that concept to me when I aquired this rare Solstice Coupe.

While it's fun to drive a little toy like the 2000 and Solstice ocassionally, they are in no way compared to a C6 Corvette.

Get a C6 and you will have something.
LJ
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
garytucker
Racer

Well aside from performance, no one told me what was better about it then an s2000, and i said i need some convincing because i cant figure out what is for double the price tag Was hoping you guys could tell me, cause i can't figure out what is better aside from the performance. Im starting to believe after this thread it really is just the performance benefit.
They are two different cars. What you are asking for is like asking me to explain whether my 350z or my Corvette is the best car...they are both great cars with great features. I like the Z from the standpoint that I don't feel bad driving it in the rain or across country...it's only a $40k car. The Corvette gets treated better and I'm more careful with it (it still gets rained on, and has had some longer trips, but no cross-country).

If you were asking us to compare a Corvette and another 400+ hp sports car...the comparison would be much easier.

You're making a big leap in the car heirarchy here (not saying your honda isn't a "worthy" car)...its like going from a mercedes to a bentley. Both are good cars that provide certain benefits, but different benefits.

Honestly, my suggestion (and that of others) is so true in your case...you need to drive the car to make sure it is the right one for you. If you are a 'dyed in the wool' Honda owner, no amount of convincing by a bunch of Corvette owners will convince you to make the switch.

Quick Reply: Honda guy here, Need you guys to prove something